Venice...tipping and bargaining

Fawn524

I have two questions for people who have been to Venice.

First, tipping. Who do you tip and how much? I realize this is subjective, but a ballpark figure would help. Waiters? Water taxi guys? Tour guides? Anyone else?

Second, bargaining. Some countries expect it, some frown on it, some think you're an idiot if you don't do it! LOL What about Venice?

Thanks...I love these boards!

I have never seen bargaining inside a normal store in Italy! IF you are at some outdoor flea market then,maybe. IN a store it is polite to greet the salespeople with a simple Bongiorno(good morning/hello)

IF you just walk in and browse without saying anything it is considered rude.

The tipping culture in Europe is VERY different than in the USA. In Italy rounding up to the nearest euro would be plenty for a tip at a restaurant IF at all, UNLESS the waiter did something very special for you. You will find that there are charges in Italian restaurants for "pan e coperto" which is for the bread and cover but it is not a tip. It is just a normal charge for sitting down at a table to eat. There may also be a percentage charged as a "cover" charge. This will be on a sign or on the bill but is also not a tip.

For a guide the most I'd consider giving is 10%. Some tourists tip like at home but don't realize that wait staff and guides are considered "professionals" and are paid salaries so they don't live on tips .

More good info! I love knowing all I can before I visit somewhere so I can respect their customs and traditions.

So...round up to the nearest Euro for a waiter unless he does something special...then 5-10% extra.

I read somewhere on Trip Advisor that if a place charges a service charge...not to be confused with the "pan e coperto"...that you can consider that your tip. I'll have to go back over my notes.

With food so expensive in Venice, the difference between 0/5/10% over a week can be significant, so all info is greatly appreciated!

On another board, it was recommended a few Euros for a tour guide and round up to nearest Euro for the taxi drivers...anyone think this sounds about right?

How about porters at airports? I generally give a couple dollars a bag in America...but again, not sure if that job is considered a tipping one in Venice? Anyone?

IF I have a PRIVATE tour then I have tipped up to 10% if I really liked the person. In general that 10% is the TOP of what a tip could be. In general, lower is fine.

I do not use hotels with bell boys and I carry my own bags so I don't know what I'd give for them if anything/perhaps 1 euro.

Taxis I also just round up IF you give them 10% they'd be thrilled but not surprised because Americans tend to tip as if they are at home and that has spoiled it for many of us who like to follow local customs.

Europeans just tip by leaving some coins,not even 5%.

This is a rather broad generalization. Tipping culture varies by country and, while it's true that Italians do not tip as Americans do, it's a bit of an overstatement to say they would only leave some coins.

The tipping culture is invading all parts of the World, where it was not necessary, needed or even wanted. Tipping is not considered a source of income in Europe, the service industry is a profession and is well paid. In Europe, you will not be ostracized, frowned upon or confronted for not tipping (as you would in the US).

I have never tipped a porter, nor would they expect it. I seldom tip a bartender or drink server. In restaurants, I "may" tip but, it would really be for extra services rendered. Rounding up would be in the one or two euro area, max.

Do not worry or feel bad if you do not tip. Neither server or provider or merchant will think any less of you. :)

This is a rather broad generalization. Tipping culture varies by country and, while it's true that Italians do not tip as Americans do, it's a bit of an overstatement to say they would only leave some coins.

ok, let me be more specific here: Italians and Spaniards, for the most part tip less than 5 %. That is based on my observations during many, many trips to these two countries and local people I know.

I'm laughing when reading this because when we were in Rome about a year and a half ago we went by this info. The waiter was not happy with us at all! I think they are used to Americans tipping good!

I'm laughing when reading this because when we were in Rome about a year and a half ago we went by this info. The waiter was not happy with us at all! I think they are used to Americans tipping good!

Rikubi, you are absolutely right! We have had the same thing happen to us (my DH is American), but then I smile and start speaking Italian and they back off. When we were in Siena a year ago we went to a highly touted restaurant there. When they brought the check they had added a 10% charge. The waiter was very apologetic , said it was for "il padrone" (the boss). I told him to take it off. Nowhere in the menu it said that 10% would be added to the bill. I'm sure they dont try that with the locals.

One must carefully read their checks and the fine print (often on the bottom of the menu) in Italian eating venues. Most restaurants will add a service charge (il servizio) and some will also add a "cover" charge (il coperto) to their checks. If this is not clearly stated you should not hesitate to ask your waiter. In Venice, some of the tourist traps (like the large cafes on St Marks Square) carry the concept of the cover charge (which should be 1 or 2 Euros for bread and water) to extremes so you do not want to even sit until you look at the posted menu for this information. If the service change is listed at 10% and the service is good we will leave a few extra Euros. On the other hand if the service change is 15% and the service only average we would leave nothing ,,,,or perhaps a few small coins. As to the cover charge (Coperto) this is a normal practice in Italy, but it should be reasonable. We have also seen some restaurants that do not charge a cover but will charge you extra if you eat the bread. Even knowing all their little tricks one can get fooled. We ourselves recently stopped for a cup of Cappucino in a Roman cafe which was not in a major tourist area. I glanced at the menu and saw they had no cover so sat for a cup of java. When the check was later delivered that cup of java cost me 7 Euros! The problem was that it never occurred to me to ask about the price of the cappucino!

Hank

I have found this also in Europe. I had one waiter actually ask me what I would tip in America! I just told him that in America, the tips are pretty much the waiter's wages, and that if they weren't good at their job they wouldn't make anything. He said that was barbaric! LOL

Archived