Travelex Chip and PIN Cash Passport

-Lew-

As everything is coming together for our trip to Provence and Paris in May, I'm concerned there is a possibility I will have issues with my non-chip US issued credit cards. From what I read, my Capital One and American Express cards will work where there is a clerk or attendant, but not at unattended locations.

My concern is toll booths on France's toll roads, exiting unmanned parking lots (Hank tells a story about his experience at the Avignon TGV station), buying train and Metro tickets from machines...you get the picture.

As many on this board know, Travelex sells a Chip and PIN Cash Passport card for use in Europe. Yes, I know the exchange rate is terrible...currently about 10% above the going rate...but I'm thinking the convenience of having a chip card may be worth it. I'm thinking of buying one and loading it with the minimum amount of $205US and using it for just those times when my US cards will not work.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Thanks...

Lew

Lew, This is the first we heard of the Travelex cards. I think we would also get one with the minimum amount if we were doing a major driving trip in Europe. It sounds like a great emergency back-up for those times we need to buy gas in closed gas station, get out of parking lots :), etc.

Hank

It sounds like a great emergency back-up for those times we need to buy gas in closed gas station, get out of parking lots

That's my thinking also. I'll bet you would have paid just about any premium for that card in order to have avoided the hassle at the Avignon TGV!

Right now you have to purchase the Chip and Pin cards in person at a Travelex outlet. There are a number of them at the Philadelphia airport where we'll be traveling through on our way to Marsielle.

Lew

You are right about Avignon (amazing anyone even remembers that post). It just gets me somewhat angry that the US credit cards companies are too darn cheap to convert to the latest technology...which would help them avoid losing lots of dollars to credit card fraud. And AMEX really gets me even more angry because we pay money for their card that isn't even accepted in many places, charges nearly 3% on foreign transactions, and does not have a chip/PIN. Perhaps we are the fools for keeping that card.

Hank

From the little research I've done on the subject, VISA and MC have the technology ready for chip and pin. It's the banks that don't want to spend the money to upgrade the equipment so these cards can be processed.

FYI, you can get a free AmEx card through Costco. The charges for international transactions are the same, but the card itself is free.

I finally got Capital One credit and debit cards before our TA last September. They both worked as advertised...no conversion fees. With the amount of international traveling you do, you should consider Capital One if you haven't already done so.

I did have one issue with Capital One in February. After submitting my detailed February cruise itinerary to them before we left, they still declined a $475 charge in St. Thomas! We were at Royal Caribbean in Crown Bay...it was 4:25 and we had to be on the ship at 4:30. I had to call their fraud department in order to have them allow the charge. It finally went through...but what more could we have possibly done in order to avoid a situation like this? I'm just hoping this doesn't happen while we're in Europe.

Lew

Lew, We agree and are also big fans of the CapitalOne MC. This is now our primary card for use out of the country and we have never had any problems. During our recent visit to Puerto Vallarta (our winter home) we actually used the CapitalOne card and our bank ATM card within minutes of each other and later checked the final exchange rate. Despite the fact that our ATM rate does not charge any fees the CapitalOne card still gave us a slightly better rate (the difference was a fraction of 1%).

Hank

We recently had a letter from Chase advising that they are no longer charging foreign transaction fees our Presidential Plus Business MasterCard. This is great news for me since that is the card we always use when we travel. Pity they made the announcement after I paid for our Hotel in Paris and booked our European airfares.

Jo

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone considering the purchase of a Travelex Chip and PIN Cash Passport, CapitalOne (others credit card companies may also) considers the purchase via a credit card as a cash advance. See CapitalOne's response to my inquiry below.

A cash advance will incur fees you might not expect. I plan to use either a debit card or cash.

Lew

Thanks for contacting us about your Capital One account.

Please note that a cash advance is when cash or cash equivalents are

obtained against a line of credit. Cash equivalents include wire

transfers, travelers' checks, money orders, foreign currency, lottery

tickets, gaming chips and wagers. Cash advances are made through ATMs,

tellers (over the counter) or access checks. Cash advances obtained

through a teller require proper ID (which is determined by the

individual bank) and the physical credit card. A PIN is not required for

over the counter cash advances. Capital One will not do verbal

authorizations for cash advances. Cash advances are posted to the Cash

Advance segment of the customer's account and not to the purchase

segment.

For anyone considering the purchase of a Travelex Chip and PIN Cash Passport, CapitalOne (others credit card companies may also) considers the purchase via a credit card as a cash advance. See CapitalOne's response to my inquiry below.

A cash advance will incur fees you might not expect. I plan to use either a debit card or cash.

Lew

Good info to know. I'll file this away as I'm thinking of getting one for an upcoming trip.

Archived