Master Chef Dinner and offensive boors

SAN415

My Mother In law and I were on a cruise and she (and I) were looking forward to the master chefs dinner. Now I know many of us have been away from our parents for a long time so I guess some refresher courses are needed on how to conduct our self in public.

If you don't want to eat at the master chefs dinner, then Do Not eat there. Maybe eat in the buffet? Or order room service?

If you are going to eat at the master chefs dinner then mind your manners. This would mean if you have nothing nice to say then you should have nothing to say. That if you do not like the food just do not eat it. You do not need to let every one with in 50 feet know this. Do not insult the wait staff, or the entertainment they are trying to provide.

When you vent on here, I understand , its your opinion, and I actually like to read opinions of other people. And often a lively opinionated conversation is nice, in the right setting.

Being conceitedly assertive about your views on the faults of the dinner and the staff is just boorish and insensitive to the enjoyment the dinners at your table and others with in hearing distance want to receive from the evening. Your opinions at that time are unwelcome and unpleasant.

Well said, but HAL also needs to rethink this Master Chef dinner since it is a constant source of repeat passenger unhappiness, boycotts and acute and obvious embarrassment for the staff that is asked to put on this degrading and annoying bit of "entertainment".

Surely there must be more appealing final night gratitude options. Yes, let us complain here but if one is in attendance, please help make it work for those who do enjoy this. And it was fun the first time; but now a painful endurance hereafter.

How have other ships handled this last night dinner wrap-up. I'll take notes on our upcoming Crystal Symphony final night dinner.

My Mother In law and I were on a cruise and she (and I) were looking forward to the master chefs dinner. Now I know many of us have been away from our parents for a long time so I guess some refresher courses are needed on how to conduct our self in public.

If you don't want to eat at the master chefs dinner, then Do Not eat there. Maybe eat in the buffet? Or order room service?

If you are going to eat at the master chefs dinner then mind your manners. This would mean if you have nothing nice to say then you should have nothing to say. That if you do not like the food just do not eat it. You do not need to let every one with in 50 feet know this. Do not insult the wait staff, or the entertainment they are trying to provide.

When you vent on here, I understand , its your opinion, and I actually like to read opinions of other people. And often a lively opinionated conversation is nice, in the right setting.

Being conceitedly assertive about your views on the faults of the dinner and the staff is just boorish and insensitive to the enjoyment the dinners at your table and others with in hearing distance want to receive from the evening. Your opinions at that time are unwelcome and unpleasant.

Some people have not had the benefit of reading cruise critic posting about MCD or they have not been informed about tragic event they are about to experience.

The first time I encountered MCD was on the Oosterdam and I wish someone had told me all about it before I went. We've since avoided it all together, the first question we ask our waiters is what night is it. I was very disappointed that HAL had introduced it. There is nothing elegant or upscale about it, and is very insulting to the waiters.

Outstanding post!:)

I think HAL holds this on the final night because there would be even less attendance on a mid-week night. Most pax with tablemates like to be in the MDR on the last night to say goodbye, so they unhappily put up with this production for that reason. Mid-week they would have eaten elsewhere.

And some pax, of course, have no previous knowledge of what's ahead and the special "entertainment"/menu and resent the unexpected change from the norm. Of course that is no excuse for rudeness, but disappointment should be expected. You'd think by this time HAL would have scraped the whole idea.

This recommendation might be true for more than conduct at the MCR, but that's just my opinion

Thank you so much for saying this so well!!

I may be in the minority, but when I can attend the Master Chef's Dinner, I do!! I enjoy it and all of my wait staff have appeared happy doing it.

Of course, this like a couple of other hot topics will bring out the worst in some:( But thank you once again for speaking up for those of us who have either never experienced it, or have and enjoy it:)

Joanie

Okay, since this will be my first cruise on a Holland America ship, what exactly is the Master Chef Dinner? Perhaps I have experienced it on one of my other cruises but it was called something else?

Thanks,

Linda

Okay, since this will be my first cruise on a Holland America ship, what exactly is the Master Chef Dinner? Perhaps I have experienced it on one of my other cruises but it was called something else?

Thanks,

Linda

Master Chef's Dinner sounds as if it will be a wonderful meal, with lots of tasty options. But instead, it has the most limited menu of the whole cruise. And service is slower.

All of this is due to the fact that the waitstaff entertain (torture?) passengers during the meal. They sing, dance, juggle vegetables and/or dinner rolls. You are given a chef's hat, which you are supposed to wear. And at some point, people wave their napkins in the air (think NFL "terrible towels").

The limited menu makes it easier for the staff to use their non-performing time to take and fetch your order. the slow service is because your waitstaff will be "otherwise occupied."

I guess it's obvious that I dislike the MCD. I find that meals and service in HAL's dining room are lovely. And just when you've become accustomed to plenty of choice and a peaceful meal, you find that your last dinner on board is served in the midst of a circus!

Many years ago, they would have a Dutch Night. I liked that I think I still have my Dutch hat somewhere. they served a menu of Dutch food, maybe sang a couple of Dutch songs, but it wasn't riotous.

I book an alternative restaurant to avoid the MCD.

I may be in the minority, but when I can attend the Master Chef's Dinner, I do!! I enjoy it and all of my wait staff have appeared happy doing it.

You are not alone Joannie.

Some people on here think the staff hates this MCD and are forced into it. We witnessed a totally different point of view...

On our last cruise we were seated Upper Dining Room at a table for 2 very close to the entrance to the MDR. The waiters and wine stewards reunited near the yum-yum station there before their first entrance and every subsequent service after that. They were having a hoot. We could hear them singing, hear them laughing and generally having a great time. They were even taking pictures of the festivities. In no way did they look humiliated or bored.

Similarly to other hot topics on CC, you will find it is always the same very little group that poo-poos the MCD whenever someone new says they enjoyed it!

Master Chef's Dinner sounds as if it will be a wonderful meal, with lots of tasty options. But instead, it has the most limited menu of the whole cruise. And service is slower.

All of this is due to the fact that the waitstaff entertain (torture?) passengers during the meal. They sing, dance, juggle vegetables and/or dinner rolls. You are given a chef's hat, which you are supposed to wear. And at some point, people wave their napkins in the air (think NFL "terrible towels").

The limited menu makes it easier for the staff to use their non-performing time to take and fetch your order. the slow service is because your waitstaff will be "otherwise occupied."

I guess it's obvious that I dislike the MCD. I find that meals and service in HAL's dining room are lovely. And just when you've become accustomed to plenty of choice and a peaceful meal, you find that your last dinner on board is served in the midst of a circus!

Many years ago, they would have a Dutch Night. I liked that I think I still have my Dutch hat somewhere. they served a menu of Dutch food, maybe sang a couple of Dutch songs, but it wasn't riotous.

I book an alternative restaurant to avoid the MCD.

Kathy,

Thanks for the information. Disney and Royal Caribbean both have last night dinner festivities but not with a limited menu and no chef hats. They did ask for waving of napkins but many people did not. (I am all for waving my terrible towel but at a football game not dinner!) Disney did have pirate night where everyone was given a pirate bandana to wear. Many people wore costumes so they really got into it. But neither cruise had a limited menu or only baked alaska for dessert.

Is the Chef Dinner still occurring? Will it be on the Nieuw Amsterdam? How do I find out if it will be on our cruise? We may want to dine elsewhere.

Thanks, Linda

Kathy,

Thanks for the information. Disney and Royal Caribbean both have last night dinner festivities but not with a limited menu and no chef hats. They did ask for waving of napkins but many people did not. (I am all for waving my terrible towel but at a football game not dinner!) Disney did have pirate night where everyone was given a pirate bandana to wear. Many people wore costumes so they really got into it. But neither cruise had a limited menu or only baked alaska for dessert.

Is the Chef Dinner still occurring? Will it be on the Nieuw Amsterdam? How do I find out if it will be on our cruise? We may want to dine elsewhere.

Thanks, Linda

It's usually on the last night of the cruise. That has been my experience.

I think part of the problem with the MCD is the name. You're expecting a menu designed by the MASTER CHEF! And then you get more limited choices than on an ordinary night, which is disappointing.

Were we separated at birth?? :D One of my pet peeves is how (some) people can be so rude. Here are our wonderful waiters working their behinds off for us, and I have seen some people sitting with arms folded, with dour looks on their faces. Never a smile for our waiters, and truly making themselves look like spoiled little children.

Yes, if you don't enjoy it, don't go again. But please, don't sit there looking like a child who just had his lollipop taken away. Thankfully most of the people I've witnessed are genuinely having a good time. But unfortunately there are the few who want everyone to know that they aren't.

And I agree with you taxmantoo, because I have seen the same thing. As for the limited menu, when we went the last time, the menu had been expanded so there were nearly as many choices on any other night.

Were we separated at birth?? :D One of my pet peeves is how (some) people can be so rude. Here are our wonderful waiters working their behinds off for us, and I have seen some people sitting with arms folded, with dour looks on their faces. Never a smile for our waiters, and truly making themselves look like spoiled little children.

Yes, if you don't enjoy it, don't go again. But please, don't sit there looking like a child who just had his lollipop taken away. Thankfully most of the people I've witnessed are genuinely having a good time. But unfortunately there are the few who want everyone to know that they aren't.

Indeed. Someone on another thread referred to the MCD as an "abortion" and begged to know how to find out when it was scheduled so he would not be subjected to such treatment again. Honestly.

I just experienced it for the first time two nights ago. While we didn't have a lot of prior knowledge of what to expect in ambience and menu selections, our party still managed to have a very nice evening and were made to feel that the staff were engaged and enthused. It's a vacation, folks. Some on this board take themselves way too seriously (IMO, of course!).

You are not alone Joannie.

Some people on here think the staff hates this MCD and are forced into it. We witnessed a totally different point of view...

On our last cruise we were seated Upper Dining Room at a table for 2 very close to the entrance to the MDR. The waiters and wine stewards reunited near the yum-yum station there before their first entrance and every subsequent service after that. They were having a hoot. We could hear them singing, hear them laughing and generally having a great time. They were even taking pictures of the festivities. In no way did they look humiliated or bored.

Similarly to other hot topics on CC, you will find it is always the same very little group that poo-poos the MCD whenever someone new says they enjoyed it!

Interestingly, this forum is the only place I have heard negative feedback about the MCD. Everyone we have encountered on each cruise loved it.

Having said that - I find it uncomfortable, so simple don't go and think it appalling that people would be so openly rude as mentioned by the OP.

I didn't think the MCD was such a hot-button topic. So many people have posted about their dislike of it that it comes as no suprise to me that it isn't universally popular.

The OP described people who were rude about the dinner. Although I can understand the dismay these passengers may have felt at this dinner being so different from every other night, their sulky behavior was clearly wrong.

But please don't assume that those of us who have posted negative comments about the MCD are like that. Go back and check the negative comments about the MCD. Most of those posts include a statement like "and so that night I eat somewhere else." I have no desire to go to the MCD and let my dislike of it interfere with someone else's pleasure. If you enjoy it, go to it. If you don't, eat elsewhere. As Osmosis said, it's simple.

Oh, lighten up people! :p Royal Caribbean does the whole napkin-waving thing every cruise, and there is not a sour puss in the house. I'm on my first HAL cruise in a week, and I hope that I am sailing with people that just enjoy themselves no matter what, because I do. ;) Even when I'm being tossed around my cabin in rough seas getting injured like on my last cruise - I still love cruising! ;)

Thank you, SAN415, for your excellent post.

I am one of those who doesn't particularly like the Master Chef Dinner, and I've stated so before here on this board. When I'm aboard ship, if if they hold the MCD on some other night than the last night of the cruise, I usually arrange to dine in the Pinnacle Grill. Otherwise, I attend the MCD and join in on the fun (wear the hat, clap, smile, etc, and do the best i can with the far more limited menu). I simply don't like missing last night in the MDR and am willing to put up with something I don't particularly enjoy in order to not miss the MDR on the last night of a cruise.

In my opinion, nothing justifies someone being rude to the staff or to fellow passengers during the Dinner. If you're going to attend, be a good sport and participate as best you can ... or don't attend.

Well said - manners are appropriate any time including at the MCD:)

Mr Chew & I arrived barely in time for the MCD the last night of our Statendam cruise ... picked up the menu ... it was very limited and there was not one single thing on it that either of us wanted to eat, the usual alternatives were not offered ... so we made a quick exit (we had seen the wait staff lining up and realized we needed to get out before they started their show) and ate elsewhere.

Next cruise we'll know to avoid this evening altogether. No matter what night it is. While we certainly would like to support the hard-working staff, and would applaud & cheer them on, and might even wave our napkins in the air!, that meal just isn't worth it!! for us ...

Archived