No Rio late 2012 & 2013...now Buenos Aires

Astro Flyer

I noticed in the recently released mid-2012 through early 2013 cruises that it's no longer a 14 day Rio/Santiago but instead a 13 day Buenos Aires/Santiago cruise.

For those of you who have sailed this itinerary, could you speculate about the reasons for this change? There may be multiple reasons for the change but since it's an itinerary we may want to sail in the future, just seeking others insights.

We had booked last month's 14 day sailing before cancelling it for another cruise we preferred more. However one of the reasons we decided to cancel was due to the problems getting a Brazilian visa which is required even to take a bus between the airport & the pier. I believe that it was in late '09 when passengers close to departure were having major problems getting a visa due to Brazilian US consulates new procedures. It was a big mess & the best option was to pay a company to get it for passengers which could cost as much as $250/pp. According to the current Princess Cruise Answer Book, it does not show requiring a visa for either Argentina nor Chile. I'm not seeking a discussion about the politics of this requirement but wonder if Princess received so many complaints that this could be part of the reason for the change? I read about crime in Rio so that could also be another part of the reason for making the change?

A cruise around southern South America is something we would like to do in the future but we would like some input from others who have sailed this route about why Princess made this change. It's all part of our decision making process about whether to sail this itinerary in the future, or not...thanks. :)

I noticed in the recently released mid-2012 through early 2013 cruises that it's no longer a 14 day Rio/Santiago but instead a 13 day Buenos Aires/Santiago cruise.

For those of you who have sailed this itinerary, could you speculate about the reasons for this change? There may be multiple reasons for the change but since it's an itinerary we may want to sail in the future, just seeking others insights.

We had booked last month's 14 day sailing before cancelling it for another cruise we preferred more. However one of the reasons we decided to cancel was due to the problems getting a Brazilian visa which is required even to take a bus between the airport & the pier. I believe that it was in late '09 when passengers close to departure were having major problems getting a visa due to Brazilian US consulates new procedures. It was a big mess & the best option was to pay a company to get it for passengers which could cost as much as $250/pp. According to the current Princess Cruise Answer Book, it does not show requiring a visa for either Argentina nor Chile. I'm not seeking a discussion about the politics of this requirement but wonder if Princess received so many complaints that this could be part of the reason for the change? I read about crime in Rio so that could also be another part of the reason for making the change?

A cruise around southern South America is something we would like to do in the future but we would like some input from others who have sailed this route about why Princess made this change. It's all part of our decision making process about whether to sail this itinerary in the future, or not...thanks. :)

Last year we were on the Star, Rome to Rio. The ship was less than half full. Much discussions on that fact. Only one port in Brazil, yet they had to get an expensive visa for that. Thoughts were that was the reason, as Rio is such a beautiful place to visit. We already had a visa when we booked the trip, and have gotten a lot of use out of it.

They ended up offering great bargains on the sailing. More than half of the people onboard were Brazilian, Argentinian, and Chilian. They gave Portaguese language classes on the crossing. Talked to some passengers who paid 150 Euros for the crossing.:eek:

Doing it again this year....and looks like it will be another "not filled" cruise. Very few people on the roll call. Sailing from Venice to Rio. Will be interesting, we thinks.:rolleyes:

We have been into Argentina and Chili twice, and no visas are required. It is a nice cruise. Our two previous cruises have been down into Antarctica, this next time will be just around the horn to Santiago.

We did an 11 day Buenos Aires to Santiago last year. We thoroughly enjoyed the stop in Puerto Montt. The 13 day itinerary also adds Puerto Madryn but I have no info there. We didn't miss anything by not going to Rio. As you say, the cost and hassle of the Brazilian Visa may be part of the reason for the change. Note that you will pay about $130 when you enter Chile or Argentina. Not a visa but reciprocal to the cost of those countries to enter the U.S.

My feeling is that it's definitely the visa problem. In the past couple years Brazil has had a on going diplomatic spat going on with the US reguarding entry visa's that started when the US started requiring finger prints for all foreign national entering the US in 2006, and has continued since then. In 2009 a Brazilian visa in some area's of the US through Brazilian consuls was taking up to 60 days to get, and additionally they we're only excepting 50 applications a day at various consuls, this only took place only in certain parts of the US, and was noted as a retalition for some unknown US action taken against Brazilians previously. (think: quid-pro-quo)

So I think travel providers like Princess just don't want to risk another entire season's schedule where visa's for American's could be precieved as an issue. IMO

Srpilo

My comments:

1. Visa has been necessary for Brazil for many years. Used to be only Fortaleza was the stop and even if you didn't get off you needed a Visa.

2. There is nothing dangerous about Rio. Just came back. Walked around port area the 2nd day on our own. First day (turnaround day) we were on tour.

3. Brazilian Visa gotten by ourselves from Consulate. Took 48 hours and we did it in person. Our friends did it by mail. Took them one week. Did this 2009 before our Amazon cruise. Visa good for 5 years; now good for 10.

4. Our roll call people who just got new Visa's before this cruise had no problem and no lengthy waits no matter where/how they were gotten. Some did it on their own in L.A., others elsewhere.

5. Someone asked me to comment, which is why I'm spouting. ;)

Puerto Madryn is the port from which you can visit the Punta Tomba penguin rookery, which I highly recommend. The drive there also provides a sense as to the vastness of the Patagonian plains. The sea lions that hang around the port provide some entertainment upon your return to the ship.

I can see where the Brazilian visa and yellow fever shot would not be worth it for one stop, but I do have very fond memories of our cruise to Brazil (and almost no memories of our stop at Buzios, which is very aptly named). Most parts of Rio are no more dangerous than most large cities, and that is one beautiful city.

Puerto Madryn is the port from which you can visit the Punta Tomba penguin rookery, which I highly recommend. The drive there also provides a sense as to the vastness of the Patagonian plains. The sea lions that hang around the port provide some entertainment upon your return to the ship.

I can see where the Brazilian visa and yellow fever shot would not be worth it for one stop, but I do have very fond memories of our cruise to Brazil (and almost no memories of our stop at Buzios, which is very aptly named). Most parts of Rio are no more dangerous than most large cities, and that is one beautiful city.

You only need YF shot for Devil's Island (the Amazon route) and not for Brazil per se'.

Someone asked me to comment, which is why I'm spouting. ;)

Most parts of Rio are no more dangerous than most large cities, and that is one beautiful city.

"Spouting" facts is always appreciated & was what I was seeking...I appreciate sharing your experiences...thanks. :)

It appears that those earlier visa snafus have been corrected & good to know that crime was not an issue for you. Since neither of these appear to currently be major considerations, I wonder why Princess changed it? :confused:

Thanks to those who posted on both sides of my question because there are always 2 sides to every question. It's a great way to help me make an informed decision about whether to cruise to South America in the future. :D

"Spouting" facts is always appreciated & was what I was seeking...I appreciate sharing your experiences...thanks. :)

It appears that those earlier visa snafus have been corrected & good to know that crime was not an issue for you. Since neither of these appear to currently be major considerations, I wonder why Princess changed it? :confused:

Thanks to those who posted on both sides of my question because there are always 2 sides to every question. It's a great way to help me make an informed decision about whether to cruise to South America in the future. :D

Princess changes things all the time, so I wouldn't wonder too much. They originally were going from Rio to SFO and then changed the whole thing to FLL.

Just like taking all the ships out of the Caribbean from May though the summer. They did this in 2008 and 2009 and removed them again in '10 and '11. I would expect to see something back there in '12. I think they just like to keep us guessing.

I am one who finds the necessity of getting a visa to be a nuisance. While I won't skip going somewhere that I really want to go just because a visa is needed, if I am on the fence about a destination, the need for a costly visa would sway my opinion against going.

Last year we went on a cruise that stopped in China. We needed visas, which at the time were $130 each. You could not mail in a request, it had to be applied for in person. The nearest consulate was perhaps 65 miles away, and with the cost of trains and cabs to get there, and then again to pick them up, and two days of time spent going there and back, I found it a nuisance. With transportation costs to Manhattan twice, the 2 visas added close to $400 on to the cost of our trip. So, it would be my guess that if Rio was the only stop in Brazil, the visa issue may have been part of the reason that Princess might skip a one day stop in Rio. I would think that those interested in visiting Brazil would instead choose a cruise with a few stops in Brazil, both to get a better view of the country and to get their money's worth out of the visa. Just my honest opinion.

My comments:

1. Visa has been necessary for Brazil for many years. Used to be only Fortaleza was the stop and even if you didn't get off you needed a Visa.

2. There is nothing dangerous about Rio. Just came back. Walked around port area the 2nd day on our own. First day (turnaround day) we were on tour.

3. Brazilian Visa gotten by ourselves from Consulate. Took 48 hours and we did it in person. Our friends did it by mail. Took them one week. Did this 2009 before our Amazon cruise. Visa good for 5 years; now good for 10.

4. Our roll call people who just got new Visa's before this cruise had no problem and no lengthy waits no matter where/how they were gotten. Some did it on their own in L.A., others elsewhere.

5. Someone asked me to comment, which is why I'm spouting. ;)

Well I guess I'll defer to the expert.. Since all the people on your cruise had no problem, then it must be the same for all past cruises as well

Thanks for the correction

Srpilo

Last year we went on a cruise that stopped in China. We needed visas, which at the time were $130 each. You could not mail in a request, it had to be applied for in person. The nearest consulate was perhaps 65 miles away, and with the cost of trains and cabs to get there, and then again to pick them up, and two days of time spent going there and back, I found it a nuisance. With transportation costs to Manhattan twice, the 2 visas added close to $400 on to the cost of our trip.

I purchased my China visa, as well as my Brazil visa, through a visa service. Yes, you pay extra to do that, but those of us who don't live close to a consulate have no other choice. Saying that, the final cost might not be all that different than yours, with a lot less aggravation.

Last year we were on the Star, Rome to Rio. The ship was less than half full. Much discussions on that fact. Only one port in Brazil, yet they had to get an expensive visa for that. Thoughts were that was the reason, as Rio is such a beautiful place to visit. We already had a visa when we booked the trip, and have gotten a lot of use out of it.

They ended up offering great bargains on the sailing. More than half of the people onboard were Brazilian, Argentinian, and Chilian. They gave Portaguese language classes on the crossing. Talked to some passengers who paid 150 Euros for the crossing.:eek:

Doing it again this year....and looks like it will be another "not filled" cruise. Very few people on the roll call. Sailing from Venice to Rio. Will be interesting, we thinks.:rolleyes:

We have been into Argentina and Chili twice, and no visas are required. It is a nice cruise. Our two previous cruises have been down into Antarctica, this next time will be just around the horn to Santiago.

Yeah Jim, I was on the Star R/t from Buenos Aires to Antarctica for 16 nights in Feb 2010 and there was alot of discussion about the eariler repositioning cruise in Nov 2009 where so many people couldn't get visa's, I spoke to some of those passengers who were quietly move over to our cruise by Princess as a goodwill gesture even after their final payment.

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/bound-for-brazil-bew-5390/

Srpilo

For those of you who have sailed this itinerary, could you speculate about the reasons for this change?

Several years ago we did a Rio to Buenos Aires Princess cruise (via Antarctica). The rest of the season the ship just did Buenos Aires-Santiago and back again.

I assume the future schedule reflects the popularity of the itinerary that is being sold.

The USA started the VISA hassles for Brazilians and many other counties. Start complaining to the State department. American VISA and passport fees are amongst the highest and most complicated in the world.

I don't need a VISA for Brasil because my country doesn't require them to get one. My wife's VISA took a few days and is good for 10 years, totally worth it.

Archived