Free internet in port

Spender Nui

I'm going to post this on several boards.

Earlier this month on a cruise we docked at Havensight, St Thomas. There was a new (open less than 1 week) Sr. Frog's right at the dock.

I was able to pick up their FREE internet access and surfed for a while.

Made me wonder if internet access is also available at other ports.

Has anyone had this experience?

I'm going to post this on several boards.

Earlier this month on a cruise we docked at Havensight, St Thomas. There was a new (open less than 1 week) Sr. Frog's right at the dock.

I was able to pick up their FREE internet access and surfed for a while.

Made me wonder if internet access is also available at other ports.

Has anyone had this experience?

Very interesting.. I will have to check it out on our Panama cruise. Problem is that if you can log on they are not secure and someone with the right software can access your computer..

There is free or cheap internet in almost every caribbean port I have been in. It's usually Starbucks, Sr. Frogs, Dunkin Donuts, cafes. If you have a particular port in mind - just ask on the boards and I'm sure we can tell you where. If you see a lot of people skyping - it's most likely a free internet area.

I guess I should qualify my post. I'm not looking for free internet somewhere in town where I have to lug equipment with me, but if I can get it while tied up in port that can be very nice.

Then just have your wifi search for networks and try them

I usually sit on my balcony and see if I can get a wifi connection to somewhere but I have to say in my experience it has worked once or twice and if I moved - good bye connection. I just carry my android phone now and use it in port. Works great.

I have a new android phone tied to Verizon. I am leaving for Europe in a week. Could you please tell me how to set my android so that I do not have roaming charges. Right now it is set to go check for email messages and text messages many times a day. I don't want to pay for this!:eek:

Thank you. And if you could tell me step by step I'd appreciate as I still think phones are for talking on (but I am loving learning to use all the neat things you can do with Droid. )

There are several different versions depending on Phone. If you are not sure go to any Verizon kiosk and they can show you...

I have a new android phone tied to Verizon. I am leaving for Europe in a week. Could you please tell me how to set my android so that I do not have roaming charges. Right now it is set to go check for email messages and text messages many times a day. I don't want to pay for this!:eek:

Thank you. And if you could tell me step by step I'd appreciate as I still think phones are for talking on (but I am loving learning to use all the neat things you can do with Droid. )

Very interesting.. I will have to check it out on our Panama cruise. Problem is that if you can log on they are not secure and someone with the right software can access your computer..

Yes, this is something that people should strongly think about when connecting to these "free" wifi connections. There is software out there, freely available, that will allow someone on any computer to gather any passwords that you send through a "free" wifi connection. Just make sure that if you are connecting to a website that will require a password that it utilizes the https: protocol. If you're just surfing the web, that's cool, but I would avoid banking and credit card websites just to be safe...

Free networks, public network, and Princess Ship private WIFI network are public networks.

On every cruise I've taken I'll find several totally open computers. I have full access to every file in their computer no passwork require. I've been known to write a note to their desktop that they really need to secure their computer.

Every computer that's connected to a network needs a real password. Use your firewall and deny all. Turn off file sharing.

Really you would not leave home and leave all your doors and window unlocked and wide open and post a sign to come in and make yourself at home.

framer

I was on Emerald Princess and we had docked in Ocho Rios. We were not at the downtown dock, but off to the side. I was walking around the deck before getting off for my tour, and found a man sitting in the forwardmost deck chair with a laptop. I realized he was a crew member, and as how the connection was. He said 'excellent, from that yellow building over there'. EM

Just returned from Southern Caribbean cruise. Many of the ship crews leave the ship

and find free internet in the ship terminals. I ask a crew member about the internet on the ship. The crew has to pay to use internet so wait for ports with free internet.

More and more ports are getting free wifi all the time. Quite a few ports now have free wifi right in the port building and can be accessed from the ship sometimes. Just remember that imformation sent on wifi is avilable to the world so be very carefull it can be hacked easily. For any important data (banking, credit cards or personal info) use a wired conection in https.

Ask some of the crew, they know all the hot spots.

Archived