Hotwire

smiley22

I've used them several times with no issues. I do usually go with a higher star rating when using these types of sites though. I stick with at least a 3 1/2 star rating or better. I also make sure I narrow down the search area. I always research the areas to find out where I want the hotel to be located.

I use them or Priceline for almost every hotel purchase when we are traveling. I've never had any real issues and have gotten some great deals.

I use the site that helps identify the hotels on Priceline and Hotwire. You can't always be absolutely sure, but usually I know what hotel I'll likely be getting.

We use Hotwire over Priceline because if you're bidding with Priceline, you cannot specify that you need a room for more than 2 people and you can with Hotwire. If you will scour sites like betterbidding.com that will help you A LOT!

Hotwire is a sister company of Cruise Critic; it is very safe to use and can save a lot of money. Be advised that hotel bookings are non-refundable with Hotwire, so make sure you are almost 100% certain you are taking the trip. Also consider Priceline - Priceline takes a bit more work to use, but the savings can be even greater. Hotwire is preferable if 3-4 people will be staying in the room as Priceline only guarantees a room for two, whereas Hotwire permits a booking for up to four in the room. Betterbidding.com is a great web site for learning about both Hotwire and Priceline.

Just a note; I've never had a problem with Priceline when booking a room for three people, although it does state bidding is for two people. I've always been able to request a room with two beds at check-in, and this is at ~14 different hotels. YMMV.

Just a note; I've never had a problem with Priceline when booking a room for three people, although it does state bidding is for two people. I've always been able to request a room with two beds at check-in, and this is at ~14 different hotels. YMMV.

So long as the hotel has vacancies, they will accommodate special requests. I have used Priceline extensively and had had occasions where the hotel was fully booked and had to take what they had. Also, if you book for three people on Priceline and the hotel is at maximum capacity, they cannot legally permit the third person to stay in the room. They clearly state on their website that they can only guarantee accommodation for up to two people per room.

We use hotwire exclusively now. It's always worked out great for us, especially when we needed rooms repeatedly in Baltimore when our son was hospitalized at Johns Hopkins. The rate we got was lower than others staying at the same hotel using the JH discount got.

We're going to a wedding where they set up blocks of rooms. We ended up getting our own room for little more than a third of what the others are paying, but for an extra few minutes driving. And got better amenities, to boot!

Sometimes by looking at the map area, the hotels at that "star rating" and the amenities listed, you can figure out which hotel it is with a high degree of confidence.

Sometimes by looking at the map area, the hotels at that "star rating" and the amenities listed, you can figure out which hotel it is with a high degree of confidence.

As mentioined above, go to betterbidding.com site and often someone will show a win for the same stars and amenities and you can match them up. see the pinned list of wins.

I'm not willing to take that chance because my 10yo DS is not sleeping with me & DH! Someone told me after you booked w/Priceline, to just call the hotel directly and request a room with 2 beds. I tried this when we booked a Hilton Garden Inn in Colorado Springs a few summers ago. They said their company policy is to book the room with one bed, but you can request 2 when checking in. Not a good option for MOST people! This did end up working out, but I'm not chancing it in the future. I'll stick with Hotwire.

I've used them several times with no issues. I do usually go with a higher star rating when using these types of sites though. I stick with at least a 3 1/2 star rating or better. I also make sure I narrow down the search area. I always research the areas to find out where I want the hotel to be located.

Love Hotwire, but follow Tracy's advice!

Archived