Fort Lauderdale Airport

djandnic

Just a quick note to relay my experience at the FLL airport on April 27. I know there is always a lot of questions around 'can I make an early flight', and I don't pretend for this one experience to be an absolute, but I wanted to share for awareness.

We did the self walk off, which started about 07:40 am (latest self walk off I've ever been a part of) Sunday monring, April 27. Walked to the taxi, and arrived at the airport around 08:00 am.

Checked in at SW and went to security, which had the longest line I've ever seen at this airport. The line was just down the hallway leading to the security area. We were through security and were standing at our gate by 09:00 am.

So about an hour to check in with two bags, go through security and walk to the gate. We wished we had kept the early flight of 9:50, but appreciated the reduced stress of having the 10:50 flight.

We didn't care for FLL too. Had an evening flight, but cancelled our tour because DW was ill. SW would not let us check our bags until 4 hours before our flight. So we sat on the floor for 6 hours because all the seats were taken at the check-in desk. Plus, there is nothing good to eat at the airport (only wrapes and sandwiches). Next time, we may pay the extra money and fly into Miami.

Just a quick note to relay my experience at the FLL airport on April 27. I know there is always a lot of questions around 'can I make an early flight', and I don't pretend for this one experience to be an absolute, but I wanted to share for awareness.

We did the self walk off, which started about 07:40 am (latest self walk off I've ever been a part of) Sunday monring, April 27. Walked to the taxi, and arrived at the airport around 08:00 am.

Checked in at SW and went to security, which had the longest line I've ever seen at this airport. The line was just down the hallway leading to the security area. We were through security and were standing at our gate by 09:00 am.

So about an hour to check in with two bags, go through security and walk to the gate. We wished we had kept the early flight of 9:50, but appreciated the reduced stress of having the 10:50 flight.

Oops, I meant March 27, not April, as having done something in the future would be tough!!:o

We didn't care for FLL too. Had an evening flight, but cancelled our tour because DW was ill. SW would not let us check our bags until 4 hours before our flight. So we sat on the floor for 6 hours because all the seats were taken at the check-in desk. Plus, there is nothing good to eat at the airport (only wrapes and sandwiches). Next time, we may pay the extra money and fly into Miami.

I think you misunderstood my post. This was not a complaint about FLL, but giving people an idea of the time. People have posted you shouldn't book a flight before noon due to how busy the airport gets. We did not find that to be an issue on this trip.

I would agree the food selection is not great, but if you want to fly SW you can't do that at MIA.

I would caution you about Miami as we have had flights canceled every time we tried to fly out of this airport. The baggage people won't unload or load bags if there is a thunder storm within 10 miles of the airport, which is not the case at FLL. We were on a cruise a year or so ago where the two ladies were on the ship without their luggage because the baggage people wouldn't unload the plane due to the storm, and they had to choose between getting their bags or missing the ship. They got their bags on the first port stop.

I live 10 minutes from FLL so maybe I'm prejudiced but I do everything possible to avoid MIA. It is always under construction at the airport and on the roads around it. While FLL may not have wonderful restaurant choices, it beats the stress of MIA. Also realize that the security delays at SW are especially so when the curise ships are in-especially since the RCCL Oasis & Allure have more than 5000 passengers each which is why they stagger their respective cruises. i try to avoid the airport on Sat & Sun mornings for this reason.

People have posted you shouldn't book a flight before noon due to how busy the airport gets. We did not find that to be an issue on this trip.

I think it is more so people posting not to book a flight at 9 am and expect to be there on time and not stressed out. Glad to hear things worked out for you.

I think it is more so people posting not to book a flight at 9 am and expect to be there on time and not stressed out. Glad to hear things worked out for you.

I would never book a flight before noon. We have had too many delays in disembarkation for whatever reasons to try to make an early flight. I would rather be waiting at the airport at my gate than sweating trying to make an early flight.

Fort Lauderdale Airport on March 26 was a fairly horrible end to a great vacation. We were off the ship (Oasis of the Seas) by 8:45 and at the airport by 9:30. Our flight was at 11:30 -- perfectly reasonable, right? Not quite. We stood in the check-in line for a good half hour, and then stood in the line for security for the remainder of the time until our flight. The line for security was not moving. They had to pull people out as their flight times got too close. We barely made it to the gate in time -- only to sit on the plane for an hour because we were far down the line for takeoff and then the airport changed which runway was being used. The delay meant that we reached our connection city, St. Louis, in a snowstorm (had we left on time, we would have been there before it started), which resulted in further delay, which resulted in me not getting home until 11:00 that night. Overall, it looks like Fort Lauderdale isn't up to handling as many passengers/flights as it is trying to.

Got off ship on April 3. Sunday arrivals/departures seem to be beyond FLL airport's ability to handle. It took 1 hr 45 minutes to get to the American Airlines desk to get boarding pass/check one bag. (1 hr 15 min was outside on the sidewalk. )

After checking luggage/getting boarding pass, we were direct back outside to TSA line. It took 45 minutes to clear security.

Needless to say, not my favorite airport :mad:

Got off ship on April 3. Sunday arrivals/departures seem to be beyond FLL airport's ability to handle. It took 1 hr 45 minutes to get to the American Airlines desk to get boarding pass/check one bag. (1 hr 15 min was outside on the sidewalk. )

After checking luggage/getting boarding pass, we were direct back outside to TSA line. It took 45 minutes to clear security.

Needless to say, not my favorite airport :mad:

You picked the wrong Airline/Airport combination. American has a small presence at FLL. MIA is an AA hub airport with dozens of agents. Several airlines have a much bigger presence at FLL.

Archived