Eating with strangers...

NODAK1979

I know NCL's big thing is that you can eat anytime, and tables are not assigned...which is GREAT. A big reason I chose NCL...the lack of structure.

I do have a question, though. I know I've read that often people get paired up with others in the dining rooms because there aren't a lot of tables for just two people. Is that true on NCL as well?

I'm hoping not...I'm just really not a fan of eating with people I don't know. Small talk is so awkward....and I don't want to have to book specialty restaurants each time to ensure a table for two.

Thanks!

No problem. They may ask if you mind sharing a table, but there is no hassle if you say you prefer not to. There are many tables for two.

Well, I guess if it gets super busy we should just eat at less busy times...that's our contingency plan I suppose. I have looked at the occupancy of the two MDR's and they number around 900 for a cruise that has about 2,000 people on it. I'm hoping that is plenty...

They have tons of tables for two. You only get seated with strangers if you request it. I've never had a problem getting a table for two.

Good deal. I can't imagine anybody specifically requesting to sit with strangers. That takes a special type of extrovert, I suppose.

Good deal. I can't imagine anybody specifically requesting to sit with strangers. That takes a special type of extrovert, I suppose.

Ummmm, is that a compliment? :p

Seriously though I guess it was being raised in West Texas or something. Both my husband and I LOVE meeting new people on cruises, in the grocery store, at truck stops...LOL Ok maybe not that extreme but we do really enjoy the more structured dining experience where you can interact and meet new people. We sailed with NCL last year though and never had a problem getting a quiet table for 2 when/if we wanted it so I wouldn't worry about it!

Beware I am also a hugger, :o

Well, I guess if it gets super busy we should just eat at less busy times...that's our contingency plan I suppose. I have looked at the occupancy of the two MDR's and they number around 900 for a cruise that has about 2,000 people on it. I'm hoping that is plenty...

The last time we were asked if we wanted to share a table was 5 years ago, no mater what time we chose to eat! They have lots of tables for 2 most by the windows.

Ummmm, is that a compliment? :p

Seriously though I guess it was being raised in West Texas or something. Both my husband and I LOVE meeting new people on cruises, in the grocery store, at truck stops...LOL Ok maybe not that extreme but we do really enjoy the more structured dining experience where you can interact and meet new people. We sailed with NCL last year though and never had a problem getting a quiet table for 2 when/if we wanted it so I wouldn't worry about it!

Beware I am also a hugger, :o

Ha, neither compliment nor insult. Just the way it is. There are people who are extremely extroverted and extremely introverted. Neither is wrong. :)

After a few meals, they are no longer strangers.

DON

Man, I don't know about that. I work with people I've talked quite a bit with here and there and I'd still say they're strangers. It takes a long time to truly know a person.

I don't know - I don't consider myself an extrovert and, depending on my mood, I have agreed to be seated at a larger table with strangers. It just depends. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

I'm a fan of meeting new people on cruises......but not when I'm eating. Give me the two-seater for dinner, then meet me afterwards in the bar for a drink or two.

Don't know about anyone else, but shoving food down my gullet while attempting stimulating and witty conversation isn't my forte.

We often sail as a group of 7 so eat together

However when there is only 2 of us, which is also often, we always ask to share with others.

We find we have made some great friends over the years and are in still in touch with many people from all over the world.

This is how we sail with 7, we met on a cruise, ate together a few times, well lots of times and we sail together every year and they came to our wedding.

We have made the most amazing friends by doing this - we have also eaten with many people that I am glad not to have spent any more time with and they may think the same of us too.

last time we shared was Sept 2008 out of NY and they were really busy on the Spirit not alot of tables for two and we wanted to make the show so we shared with 3 other couples all from NY and Jersey--it was pretty COOL...LOVED their accents, but they kept saying they LIKED mine......lol..i spent first 5 years in Chicago but my next 10 we spent all over and the last to many years to count were spent in Utah.....lol....no accent here......lol....

they can ask you to share, but you dont have to...thats what is so GREAT about NCL...YOUR CHOICE!!

Those of us who cruise various lines, including "traditional" dining, are used to it. :) I enjoy talking to people about the excursions they took that day, or where they are from. It is called "small talk". Sometimes you are in the mood for small talk, sometimes you are not. ;)

We had a very strange experience with this one night... were asked by the hostess if we wanted to share and said no... she told the seater "table for four" as expected... but as we were walking, she said to us, "so you want to share?" ... No? Suddenly a table a few feet away called out (quite forcefully) "WE WANT TO SHARE." Again we said no, we didn't want to share. "BUT WE WANT TO SHARE." It was really quite creepy. I think the seater was trying to dump us off on these odd people so she didn't have to deal with them (can't really blame her) but we finally got the table we requested - without sharing!

We enjoy meeting people from different parts of the world. We've made some great friends that way. At one meal, on the Dream, we were seated with two other couples--one British and the other from Arkansas. During the course of the conversation we discovered that we (the dudes) were all former military officers and all had been stationed in Germany at the same time. We were transiting the Kiel Canal at the time and almost that very moment we sailed past the house the British couple used to live in. That was pretty cool. We've met people from Argentina, Finland, Ireland, Belgium, Canada, Germany, UK, Denmark and Russia, just to name a few countries. So we always tell the hostess we don't mind sharing a table.

I know NCL's big thing is that you can eat anytime, and tables are not assigned...which is GREAT. A big reason I chose NCL...the lack of structure.

I do have a question, though. I know I've read that often people get paired up with others in the dining rooms because there aren't a lot of tables for just two people. Is that true on NCL as well?

I'm hoping not...I'm just really not a fan of eating with people I don't know. Small talk is so awkward....and I don't want to have to book specialty restaurants each time to ensure a table for two.

Thanks!

I always request sharing a table because i think one of the fun things about traveling is meeting new people!

Those of us who cruise various lines, including "traditional" dining, are used to it. :) I enjoy talking to people about the excursions they took that day, or where they are from. It is called "small talk". Sometimes you are in the mood for small talk, sometimes you are not. ;)

Good to hear. I am traveling with mom and some nights we may sit alone but after spending a few days with her and doing excursions with her we might run out of things to tell each other at dinner lol. It would be nice to have "small talk" and find out what other people on the ship are doing.

I've spent over 50 nights aboard NCL as a solo traveler, and I only remember about twice that they asked if I wanted to share. Both of those were at times when the dining room was fairly packed. I declined and received a table by myself without delay.

Most of the time I end up at a 2-top, but sometimes at a 4-top depending on what's available.

Thanks!

You don't have to eat with strangers. My first cruises were with Carnival who does seat you with strangers. My experiences were good, nice people. On NCL, I usually ate with my cruise buddy or alone. One night we went to the Seven Seas on the Sun and it was busy so I asked if there was a table where people were willing to have someone join them and they assigned me and my cabin mate to the group, three married couples. I personally enjoyed the encounter but my buddy went alone but I could see that he was uncomfortable so we didn't do that again. We could have waited and they would have given us a table alone. Different strokes for different folks. Some like meeting new people and some don't. Do your thing, it's FreeStyle!:D:D

Archived