Taking food away from breakfast/lunch

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take things away from breakfast/lunch buffet?

On some holidays if we have planned to go out for the day the hotel has allowed you to take a picnic with you.

Taking things like breadrolls & fruit etc.

Just wondered if this was something you could do on a cruise or not?

Thanks

Stacey x

Does anyone know if you are allowed to take things away from breakfast/lunch buffet?

On some holidays if we have planned to go out for the day the hotel has allowed you to take a picnic with you.

Taking things like breadrolls & fruit etc.

Just wondered if this was something you could do on a cruise or not?

Thanks

Stacey x

You can take things away from the breakfast/lunch buffet and eat them elsewhere on the ship, but local regulations in the ports forbid you to take food, especially fruit, meat etc. (other than prepackaged foods, like cereal boxes, granola bars etc.) off the ship. If you do, and are caught, the food will be confiscated and you may be subject to a fine. Please don't violate those rules. They were put in place for a good reason. :)

Local agriculture rules forbid non prepackaged food from coming off the ships. Has to do with insect larvae etc from infesting. I will take with me cereal or a granola bar to "hold me over" until I return to the ship if I do not want to eat locally. But, IMHO, trying the local food can be enjoyable :)

You can take things away from the breakfast/lunch buffet and eat them elsewhere on the ship, but local regulations in the ports forbid you to take food, especially fruit, meat etc. (other than prepackaged foods, like cereal boxes, granola bars etc.) off the ship. If you do, and are caught, the food will be confiscated and you may be subject to a fine. Please don't violate those rules. They were put in place for a good reason. :)

he is right , those rules are in place for a ggod reason , but never enforced:D

I asked a simple question that's all, doesn't mean I am going to go against the rules. x

You, no. It was a perfectly reasonable question. You are a nice person and a pleasant poster. Unfortunately, this is not true of everyone on Cruise Critic.

You need travel more, I have the garbage cans of food from people trying to take food off the ships.

I have seen in one case a police officer given a nice bribe not arrest someone that had fruit taken from the ship.

I asked a simple question that's all, doesn't mean I am going to go against the rules. x

Coco85, absolutely - not your fault, and you replied very sweetly. I'm afraid there are some topics which are "hot buttons" for some people, and this is one of those issues. You will get all kinds of replies in threads where OP just asked a simple question... we see it every day here. Not for you to worry.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I guess you haven't traveled enough to see a dog sniffing you stuff. Try taking food off the ship in Chile and see what happens!

Try it in Australia or New Zealand and you will not only get the sniffer dogs, but also an instant fine of about $200 if you are caught.

Try it in Australia or New Zealand and you will not only get the sniffer dogs, but also an instant fine of about $200 if you are caught.

There was a post a couple of years ago about a family whose daughter was caught with an apple in one of those two places and the fine was $300!

There was a post a couple of years ago about a family whose daughter was caught with an apple in one of those two places and the fine was $300!

The same thing happened to the teenage daughter of our former State Treasurer, not taking fruit off a cruise ship but off an international flight. I have seen bag checks when docked in Bermuda and fruit confiscated when someone ahead of us was getting off the ship in Cozumel. It does happen and is hardly worth the gamble.

Well I have taken a few cookies when we had an early am ship departure and had to immediatley connect to an early early flt home. We ate the cookies on the plane. Notwithstanding, I do think it is a bit cheesy making a "picnic" out the WJ buffet food to eat a lunch while on land. :rolleyes:

I guess i havent been in chile ;)

Sounds more like you have never stepped out of your computer room at home.;)

I´ve seen the rules being in place and enforced in more countries I visited than not.

The list includes Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, European countries........

Well I have taken a few cookies when we had an early am.... I do think it is a bit cheesy making a "picnic" out the WJ buffet food to eat a lunch while on land. :rolleyes:

Why would you admit to doing this and call others "cheesy" when you did this yourself? :rolleyes: :p

i thought you only stirred the pot on the carnival threads ... I see you are over here trying your mischief.

Yep, I see you are over here now too. early today you admitted to be a cheater on something else..a way of life for some.

I though I was the only one cheating in line , yeahhh I noticed that once and now I always do this, Bording time no later than 1.30pm or whatver says the bordin paper( i know thats not truth , I get there really early , maybe 10 am. I will always see like 30 or 40 people in front of me to go to the area in which they give u the sea pass. I simply seat and wait till they start calling Diamond ,Platinum and bla bla bla. I say im one of those level ( they wont check so , go ahead. Once you are inside the area where they give u the sea pass I will tell them that Im reagular or gold level ( pick one LOL ) I will be the first in line to enter as a regular o gold member and chances r that Platinum , diamond people still making line while Im heading to my welcome abord picture

The sniffer dogs hit on my pocketbook. There was no food in it. It took them at least half an hour to take my pocketbook apart to see what was in it. All the while they were threatening me with a much higher fine for lieing to them. There had been food in my bag earlier so I am sure that is what they hit on. They thought it may have been my asthma medicine (inhaler).

Anyway when all was said and done we were delayed an hour. They take it quite seriously.

Archived