Chef's Table - Any tips or tricks to help get a seat?

Lynniepoo

We were on the Ocean about a month ago, as soon as we boarded I called the Dine line and made the Chef Table request. When we checked in for the first evening meal I told the Maitre'd we were third time Princess cruisers, had never been to the Chef Table and would like to attend. He was very friendly, asked for our cabin number and we had our invitation in a few days. Great experience would do it again.

Just got off the CB yesterday morning. I called the Dine Line when we got on the ship & asked to be put on the list. They asked if there were any food allergies. There weren't, but DH is a vegetarian who eats fish & I told them that.

Next night I called to change a reservation at a specialty restaurant & was told that the chef felt we were not good candidates for Chef's Table because of my husband not eating meat & the main dishes were all meat dishes. I did not press the issue & that was that.

Enjoyed wonderful meals at Crown Grill and Sabatini's - no problem getting or changing reservations. Sabatini's especially did not seem to be fully booked at all.

We went to the Chef's Table on our last cruise in May on the Grand and it was definitely worth it! It is best to call as soon as you board, but I forgot since we boarded late and called about 2:00pm and they said if you get a letter inviting you within 3 days then you are in, if you don't get a letter then you are not invited. We didn't get a letter until the evening of the 3rd day. We had champagne with our appetizers in the kitchen, the Maine Lobster Mojito was my favorite. We also had lobster tail, lemon sorbet with Grey Goose Vodka poured on it, veal, potatoes, veggies and beautiful desserts and lots of wine. Also, a picture of the group and also the chef with you personally and a signed cookbook. It was about 3 hours long and it was a lovely evening!

Carol

Just got off the CB yesterday morning. I called the Dine Line when we got on the ship & asked to be put on the list. They asked if there were any food allergies. There weren't, but DH is a vegetarian who eats fish & I told them that.

Next night I called to change a reservation at a specialty restaurant & was told that the chef felt we were not good candidates for Chef's Table because of my husband not eating meat & the main dishes were all meat dishes. I did not press the issue & that was that.

When we did it, the Chef was much more accomodating. My DW is also a vegetarian who eats fish. They made a special salmon dish for her while everyone else had the chef's regular main dishes.

I was kind of surprised that they couldn't accommodate my vegetarian husband, too, since I'd read that people had done CT even when they had serious food allergies. I thought the CB had a new chef - perhaps he didn't want to make any menu changes & it's his kitchen so it's his rules. I never even found out which night of the sailing they had CT - no one on our roll call had mentioned wanting to do it. I was disappointed though. Perhaps on another ship we'll get another chance.

We boarded early (before noon) called the Dine Line and got our name on the list first, then asked the whereabouts of the matre d'. They told us he would be in the dining room starting at 3:00 and we went and waited in a line with people with different issues (switching seatings, etc.) and pleaded our case. He had an assistant taking notes and a day or two later we received an invitation. Make sure you tell them you will eat what is served, they usually do not take people with food allergies or preferences. As a last resort, find out what days they are being held and ask in the afternoon, we had two people at our table no-show!! It was worth the effort, I felt like royalty.

Can you tell me please what they offered for the Chef's dinner? I've heard tales of different wines for each course and liquors with desert, even a Princess cookbook. Is this accurate? Thanks so much

When we did the Chef's Table on Star Princess, December '09, we champagne & assorted wonderful appetizers in the galley, with ice sculpture beside us, then the dining room courses (all accompanied by wines) included risotto, sorbet, lobster, scallops, filet mignon,vegetables, baked camembert, and a beautiful desert of chocolate chili tango in a spun sugar bowl with desert wine with a hand-written label. Coffee / tea, with biscotti & amaretti. Everything was absolutely sublime. We received copy of the menu, rose, group picture, & autographed Princess cookbook.

I don't know if there was anything special that we were able to get in; we were on B2B, & always enjoyed chatting with MD, & weren't "problem people", so who knows.

Good luck getting in, & enjoy the dinner when you do! It's a wonderful treat, & well worth it!

Archived