Chef's Table - Any tips or tricks to help get a seat?

Lynniepoo

Hi everybody!

DH and I are avid Princess cruisers and we are going on our 3rd cruise next year. We have been trying to get on Chef's table but keep missing it every time.

On our last cruise, we got on early for the Bon Voyage program and called before people started boarding, and we STILL didn't get it! :confused:

Does anyone have any tips to help us for next time? We really want to try it!

Thanks!! :D

We were fortunate to get on one through getting on board early[noon]-we were told the selection, at times ,was up to the Matre D when they reviewed the names who requested a seating-some were choosen because they requested during a B2B cruise, some because it was there first cruise, others were there anniversary or longest amount of sea days, or first come-first serve-etc=I really do not have any fool proof way of assurance to get on.=Sorry:(

We were fortunate to get on one through getting on board early[noon]-we were told the selection, at times ,was up to the Matre D when they reviewed the names who requested a seating-some were choosen because they requested during a B2B cruise, some because it was there first cruise, others were there anniversary or longest amount of sea days, or first come-first serve-etc=I really do not have any fool proof way of assurance to get on.=Sorry:(

This cruise will be on our anniversary, so maybe we'll have a better chance!!:D

Just returned from a 15 day Panama Canal Cruise and had a wonderful dinner at the Chef's Table. We loved it!

I called the minute we arrived at our room at 2:00pm and was told there was a wait list of 66 people. We went the next morning to a Cruise Critic M&G where we met the Cruise Director, Head Chef etc. and asked how they pick people for the table.

We don't know why we were picked! Could have been this Cruise Critc meeting or our Platinum status or just luck?

Call the minute you arrive on the ship.

As the other posters have recommended, call the Dine Line as soon as you arrive in your stateroom. Then, perhaps, you can find the maitre-d, inform him it's your anniversary, and you'd love to celebrate it at the Chef's Table. Best of luck to you, and Happy Anniversary.

We recently got accepted to the chef's table on a b2b, but got it the first leg of the cruise....we called as soon as we got into our room, which was about 12noon....we got an acceptance letter the next day in the afternoon....just keep trying....it certainly is quite an experience!

I think it really depends on the Maitre 'd; clearly from the posts above some of them pick and choose from the people who have expressed interest, and some of them just take people on a first-come first-served basis. I know on the Sapphire two weeks ago it was first-come first-served, as Ignacio D' Agostino felt that was the most fair system for him to use. And that by 12:25 on boarding day both tables (20 people) were completely full.

Just got off the Crown today..we were selected for the Chef's table and I really hope you can participate in it! It was goal for this cruise to try for it! We were able to board early and I called early ( before 12 noon) and was told to call back at noon..I was on that phone as soon as the clock struck 12! We were selected (there were 12 of us) and we had the honor & priviledge of having the Master Chef of the Princess fleet cook for us! It was truly a highlight of this trip!! All I can say is get on that phone & best wishes!

Michelle

Hi everybody!

DH and I are avid Princess cruisers and we are going on our 3rd cruise next year. We have been trying to get on Chef's table but keep missing it every time.

On our last cruise, we got on early for the Bon Voyage program and called before people started boarding, and we STILL didn't get it! :confused:

Does anyone have any tips to help us for next time? We really want to try it!

Thanks!! :D

We went IN PERSON to the Dining Room (The one for traditional dining on the Star) as soon as we got on the ship. We were first on the list. Fabulous experience...hope you are successful! Another thought for you....send an email to the Maitre D on your ship before you board, explain that you are celebrating your anniversary and would love to be included in Chef's Table. It never hurts to be a little proactive. We sent an email to our wonderful Maitre D because of another dining issue and were amazed that, when we went to see him upon boarding the ship, he actually knew who we were, had our email and had already solved our problem!

Thanks all for the great advice!!

What a great idea to email the Maitre'd! We are sailing on the same ship (Ruby) as our last sailing in January, so I know who he is. When we get closer to sailing time, I'm definitely going to send him an email.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes! By the time we get to the cruise it will be 8 years of wedded bliss!

This cruise will be on our anniversary, so maybe we'll have a better chance!!:D

No guarantee, of course, but you could send a personal note to the Maitre d' (via Passenger Services Desk) letting him know that you're celebrating your anniversary while onboard and that you'd like to be included in Chef's Table to celebrate.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

We phoned the dine line as soon as we boarded Ruby. They asked if we had done it before = No and if we had any allergies = No. I registered for 4 people and we all got in. No idea if they were screening for newbies rather than people who had already done it but I think we got lucky. We had the most amazing time. The head chef of the entire Princess Fleet happened to be onboard and did ours. It was unbelievable!!

On our November cruise, I forgot to sign up so at dinner on the second day I asked the head waiter if there were any seats left. He came back and said yes we were in and that the maitre'd would stop by our table a little later. We had a great conversation with him over wine for about 1/2 hour. And he stopped by every night after that - sometimes had wine and others just said hi.

But I did find out later that it had been booked up with a waiting list and I felt terrible that we bumped someone. So I have a feeling that people in suites do get first pick.

To Jerrybbds - "We went the next morning to a Cruise Critic M&G where we met the Cruise Director, Head Chef etc. and asked how they pick people for the table."

Jerrybbds - when you asked, what did they tell you?

We tried toget seated at the Chef's table twice. The first time we wern't picked, but the second, we were. We boarded early, about 11:30. The fact that we were in a full suite may have helped, But I don't know.

Full suites don't help.....

Bob

We've been lucky to have been 'picked' each time we've submitted our names:

• Emerald Princess, June 2009 - boarded around 12:15 and called the DINE line. Heard about 2 or 3 days later.
  • Royal Princess, January 2010 - called the DINE line around 12:30 and was told that they weren't sure there would be a Chef's Table but they took our name. Asked 2 days later and they still replied that a decision hadn't been made. Two days later and our waiter asked us if we would be interested!? We replied that we hoped our name was on the list. It was.
  • Emerald Princess, October 2010 - we were the only Bon Voyage group so we asked at the lunch in the MDR around noon. We were also in a suite (first time) so I don't know if that made a difference.

It is a wonderful experience!

Can you tell me please what they offered for the Chef's dinner? I've heard tales of different wines for each course and liquors with desert, even a Princess cookbook. Is this accurate? Thanks so much

Yes, wine pairings and a signed cookbook. Usual menu with slight variations is appetizers in the kitchen, fish course with risotto, sorbet, trio of meats flamed table side, baked cheese/nuts, dessert is usually something decadent and chocolate with cookies also passed around. Always beautifully presented, and with impeccable service. Great fun and well worth the cost.

We had the risotto as a first main course and the veal as a second main course...nothing flaming at the table.

What I loved was that inside the cookbook was the complete listing of all the courses and on a separate piece of paper was the wine that was served that evening.

I ate a few bites of everything, so I wasn't terribly full at the end of the meal....it lasted about 3 hours.

The only downside was that someone wasn't able to hold his liquor.

Can you tell me please what they offered for the Chef's dinner? I've heard tales of different wines for each course and liquors with desert, even a Princess cookbook. Is this accurate? Thanks so much

I headed this as 'spoiler' b/c some folks want to be surprised with the Chef table...Soooo, if you don't want to know what was served at my table, then DO NOT read any further..

Here goes:

Appetizers in the kitchen...

Lobster Margarita with avocado and mango,

Salmon tartare with traditional condiments,

Bistro mine cheese quiche with truffle and cherry tomatoes,

Roasted new potatoes with sour cream and caviar

these appetizers were served with a French champagne....

Main courses;

Asparagus risotto with lobster tail and claws(to die for!), served

with a French Chardonnay

followed by a cleansing strawberry cracked pepper sorbet,( chef came by and poured vodka? over the sorbet),

with the 2nd main course of

Roast veal shank and veal tenderloin, with cepes au jus and market vegetables(asparagus, carrots),

served with a California Cabernet Sauv.

After the 2 main courses, there was

Baked Camembert with pine nuts, port wine reduction and walnet bread,

dessert wine was a late harvest Sauv Blanc from Chile

Dessert

Passion fruit dome cake..

Whiskey soaked raspberry soft center mango glaze,

Bonbons

served with coffee and a Limoncello.

Archived