Chef's Table - Any tips or tricks to help get a seat?

Lynniepoo

when you get closer to your sailing date, you will receive emails letting you know who will be the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Director and Maitre D' on board for that sailing. I wasn't exactly sure what the Maitre D's email address was but after doing some research and seeing that other Princess staff members use the first letter of their first name and their full last name @Princess.com, I tried that. In my email I was specific about who I was trying to reach, what ship, what sailing date and the cruise itinerary # so in the event the email got to some random person at Princess, they would be able to direct it to the correct person. So..to answer your question, I am not sure I used the correct email address but my email did get into the hands of the correct person!

Ah... your reply was perfect. Thanks so much for the info.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone tried making reservations for more then just your spouse? We are traveling with three other couples for DH's 40th birthday and thought this would be a great way to celebrate. Do we have to make reservations separately or can we make them all together?

Suggestions?

Has anyone tried making reservations for more then just your spouse? We are traveling with three other couples for DH's 40th birthday and thought this would be a great way to celebrate. Do we have to make reservations separately or can we make them all together?

Suggestions?

You'll need to know their names and cabin numbers--and food allergies.

We had friends from our Roll Call put our names on the list as soon as they got on board. Once on board she had left a message on our cabin phone asking us to call the dining line and letting them know about any food allergies. We did.

All of us were selected. We had a fabulous time.

I don't think there is a guaranteed way of getting selected...hopefully, you'll get the opportunity to enjoy this fabulous meal/experience.

Suggestions?

We had a group of 9 people from our CC rollcall who were interested in the Chef's Table, and one person made the call for all nine of us when she boarded. We were all picked, and were joined by one other couple, for a total of 11.

We (dh&I) were on the Crown last year after the Thanksgiving sailing. We were interviewed

the next morning. All were included including 1 couple who had done it before. Yes, it seemed as if the allergy question was important. We have a grandson who will have his throat swell up if he has certain things. But, if you want to do it, go on the Crown John

& I are doing the Thanksgiving cruise on the Crown this year. If the menu is different, we

had the rack meats, we might do it again.

joann

I have a life-threatening crustacean allergy, and the Chef's Table on both the Sapphire and Caribbean was perfectly accomodating. In one case the entire menu was "safe" (and I've seen others report their menus were as well, so it's not like the whole group suffered a loss, which was my initial dreadful supposition) and in the others, there were a couple of substitutions that were quietly made for me. Please don't hesitate to attend based on food allergy; I'm sure it's variable from chef to chef and maitre d'hotel to maitre d'hotel, but my experiences have been extremely positive.

We are 2-2 for the Chef's Table and have always called as soon as we got on the ship. Guess we have got lucky. That being said, on our last cruise our friends wanted to do the Chef's Table and had signed up. The Executive Chef on the ship was the same Executive Chef we had at both our Chef's Tables (and loved the chef & the experience) On the first formal night, DW explained to the MD that we had been at the Chef's Table twice with the Executive Chef and asked if he could stop by our table so we could say Hi again and thank him. Well, the Executive Chef did stop by and we had a great short conversation with him (all while our servers eyes got very big) During the conversation, we had mentioned that our friends had signed up for the Chef's Table and were hoping to get chosen. He did take all of our cabin numbers and a day later, our friends got their invitation to the Chef's Table. Not sure if our conversation helped them get in or not, but always worth mentioning that you want to go to the MD, Executive Chef, etc.

Tim

My wife and I have been lucky enough to get preselected for the Chef's Table for our cruise on the Miracle next month (Thanks to John's Blog).

The only concern we have is, we are travelling with our 6 year old twin girls and we're PRAYING Camp carnival will be open when the Chef's Table starts. Does anyone know?

My wife and I have been lucky enough to get preselected for the Chef's Table for our cruise on the Miracle next month (Thanks to John's Blog).

The only concern we have is, we are travelling with our 6 year old twin girls and we're PRAYING Camp carnival will be open when the Chef's Table starts. Does anyone know?

Confused:confused: This is a Princess forum and the conversation is about Princess Chef Tables. I don't think John's blog is going to help:rolleyes:

Our first time, we were on Caribbean Princess, called Dine Line, went to Purser's Desk and went to Dining Room to get on the list -- didn't want to take any chances. :D We were chosen and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

Second time, we were on Star Princess I believe. Called Dine Line numerous times right after boarding and it didn't seem to be working. Talked to Head Waiter the first evening who asked for our cabin # and assured us he would put our names on the list. He ended up NOT being the person who was assigned to our table (or perhaps an assistant Head Waiter). We had a VERY attentive Head Waiter from second night on who really tried to please everyone. After inquiring, we found out that we had NOT been chosen, but also that our cabin # was never even placed on the list. We saw our Head Waiter at lunch time and told him what happened. He was very upset and promised to do what he could. They actually ADDED 2 people to one of the Chef's Tables to accommodate us! So it never hurts to ask in a polite way, especially if you feel that your information was never received.

is it "bad form" to take pictures (i.e pictures of dishes) while sitting at the chef's table???

We are just back from the Caribbean Princess and were, luckily and happily, chosen for the Chef's Table. Photos not only happened but were encouraged by the Maitre d'. Everyone in our group was taking photos, both at the Table and in the galley beforehand! Shot some great memories!!

Does anyone know if there is an age requirement for the Chef's Table? We are traveling with our 17 year old son, who would really love the experience.

While I've only had adults at the CT, I don't believe there are any age restrictions. The price is reduced to $60 for those not drinking champagne/wine & if he'd enjoy the type of food offered, I would think he'd be welcomed.

We're 4 for 4 with getting the CT just by boarding early & calling the DINE line except for the 1st time. We had to go to Sabintini's to be put on a list where we discovered that despite being the 1st for our cruise, there were 22 sailing B2B who were already on the list. Even so (only 10 per CT) we got it so maybe others declined or they added an extra CT. My experience has been that it's 1st come, 1st served as the deciding criteria but apparently the Maitre d' makes the final decision.

when you get closer to your sailing date, you will receive emails letting you know who will be the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Director and Maitre D' on board for that sailing. I wasn't exactly sure what the Maitre D's email address was but after doing some research and seeing that other Princess staff members use the first letter of their first name and their full last name @Princess.com, I tried that. In my email I was specific about who I was trying to reach, what ship, what sailing date and the cruise itinerary # so in the event the email got to some random person at Princess, they would be able to direct it to the correct person. So..to answer your question, I am not sure I used the correct email address but my email did get into the hands of the correct person!

I tried this, and unfortunately the email was kicked back. :( I tried emailing Mario Propato on the Star Princess (I had gotten the email confirming that he would be the MD). Any other ways to find his email address? Thanks for the tips, everyone!

• 1 month later...

My husband and I had no problem during our Holiday cruise on the Caribbean last year. We boarded about 1:30pm and just called and got our invitation the next day. If there was a waiting list or we were chosen from a larger group, I didn't hear. We did have a sort of pre-dinner interview the day before with the Maitre'd. We felt like we were being checked out - make sure we were mature, clean, well mannered, etc. Not quite sure what - but I guess we passed. We all 10 got to go, including the adult daughter of one of the couples who wasn't at the interview/briefing. (We weren't in a suite, aren't platinum yet, were a couple, didn't have any food allergies or sensitivities.)

It was amazing. The menu was similar to what was mentioned. There was a lot of seafood, so a seafood allergy would really mess up your enjoyment. There was wine with every course, and we normally aren't drinkers, but they were so well chosen, it just complemented the meal perfectly. We got the trio of meats fired at the table and the lobster tail. And our dessert doesn't quite sound the same as anyone else's. It was covered in an edible "nest" of sugar, and inside was some sorbet, cookies made to look like butterflies, and more.

We took tons of pictures, inside and outside the kitchen. I had to get some with the chef. He was a real hottie.

There is NO WAY they make money on this. The wine we were served alone was probably worth the $75. They do it to keep the chefs fresh - the meals prepared for each cruise are planned down to the smallest detail months in advance so there isn't much chance for creativity - and to advertise their chefs' skills. You know this experience is talked about and posted about. It was worth every penny.

Do it. Call, write, make sure they know how hard you've tried to do this in the past and that it's a special occasion. But do it all with maturity, grace and positivity. Some of the folks in our group didn't fully appreciate the treat they were getting.

Archived