Chef's Table - Any tips or tricks to help get a seat?

Lynniepoo

We are 4 for 4.. Guess we have been lucky too.. ;);)

Us too...just get on early & call DINE. Sometimes get a recording that they're closed but eventually our call was answered & we were able to enjoy our Chef's Tables.

trio of meats flamed table side

the veal as a second main course...nothing flaming at the table

We've never had the flaming trio but had the veal shanks & tenderloin twice and their "Double Impact Surf & Turf" twice. The lobster, scallops & filet mignon was my favorite menu. I've given away 2 of the cookbooks to those who really enjoyed them. Also there's no standardization when it comes to photos...we've only received a group photo but have read several times that others also received a couples photo. We've asked & the answer is always "no" for a couples photo.

But obviously it's a trivial matter to us...it's the best dining experience we've ever had & will gladly do it whenever we're selected again. We hope to keep batting 1.000 & that our lucky streak will continue into the future. :D

I wish they would give a discount if you didn't want the cookbook. Two is enough ( I thought they would be different being different editions - but all recipes are the same) Didn't need three so I gave our last one away. Couples also get screwed since they get one cookbook but if there are two unmarried people in a cabin - they get two. Really don't need two - just bugs me.

Can you tell me please what they offered for the Chef's dinner? I've heard tales of different wines for each course and liquors with desert, even a Princess cookbook. Is this accurate? Thanks so much

Yes, everything you have heard is accurate. Along with the signed Princess cookbook, we also got a group photo with our tablemates. The sommelier never left our table...serving wine with each course, along with a lecture on each wine.

I wish they would give a discount if you didn't want the cookbook. Two is enough ( I thought they would be different being different editions - but all recipes are the same) Didn't need three so I gave our last one away. Couples also get screwed since they get one cookbook but if there are two unmarried people in a cabin - they get two. Really don't need two - just bugs me.

Wow, it doesn't take much to "bug you.". I wouldn't say couples are getting "screwed". Maybe Princess is just being considerate to unmarried couples. I have a feeling that lots of other things on the cruise "bug you."

Hi everybody!

DH and I are avid Princess cruisers and we are going on our 3rd cruise next year. We have been trying to get on Chef's table but keep missing it every time.

On our last cruise, we got on early for the Bon Voyage program and called before people started boarding, and we STILL didn't get it! :confused:

Does anyone have any tips to help us for next time? We really want to try it!

Thanks!! :D

We called right after we boarded the ship and were told they were booked up but we would be on a waiting list. They called us a few days after our cruise and we were able to attend another dinner. They had about 5 dinners on our cruise so I thought they were trying o let everyone who had sign up come to one.

The cookbook is an absolute bonus. If you don't feel you're getting your $75 worth with the food and wine then don't do it.

We are 3 for 3...in all cases we were on the ship early and called as soon as we boarded.

We have had the flaming trio twice and the double impact surf and turf once. Both flaming trios came with lobster tails on the side. The double impact surf and turf was rack of lamb and filet, with seared scallops and lobster. Our favorite meal was the double impact with Generoso on the Ruby, but the best presentation and overall experience was last month on the Crown with Neville. There is a lot to be said about not seeing the menu until after the meal is over. We were always trying to guess what was coming next based on the utensils they were putting down in front of us and the anticipation was part of the fun!

We are 3 for 3...in all cases we were on the ship early and called as soon as we boarded.

We have had the flaming trio twice and the double impact surf and turf once. Both flaming trios came with lobster tails on the side. The double impact surf and turf was rack of lamb and filet, with seared scallops and lobster. Our favorite meal was the double impact with Generoso on the Ruby, but the best presentation and overall experience was last month on the Crown with Neville. There is a lot to be said about not seeing the menu until after the meal is over. We were always trying to guess what was coming next based on the utensils they were putting down in front of us and the anticipation was part of the fun!

I looked at our photos & there it was...rack of lamb with the Surf & Turf...despite not showing it on our souvenir menu! :o

Can you tell me please what they offered for the Chef's dinner? I've heard tales of different wines for each course and liquors with desert, even a Princess cookbook. Is this accurate? Thanks so much

We were recently on the Emerald. The offerings changes from one Chef's table to another - some of the CC members did the Chef's table 2 days after we did and they had a different menu.

Here is our menu;

Lobster Margarita with Avocado and Mango

Salmon Tartar

Bistro mini cheese quiche with truffle and cherry tomato

Roasted new potato with sour cream and caviar (all of the above was served in the kitchen with champagne)

Asparagus Risotto with lobster tail and claw

Strawberry cracked pepper sorbet (served with a shot of Sky vodka)

Roast veal shanks & veal tenderloin. Carved table side with cepes and jus. Market veggies and chateau potatoes

Baked camembert with pine nuts, port wine reduction and walnut bread

Passion fruit dome cake, whiskey soaked raspberry soft center mango glaxe (this was served on a plate of spun sugar, colored to look like the sea - amazing).

Coffee / tea with homemade bonbons

Wine was served with each course as was an on-board made lemoncello with the passion fruit cake....

All in all it was one of the top 3 dinners my wife and I have ever had and we'd do it again if we could in a heartbeat. We got the menu, pictures and a signed copy of the Princess cookbook at the end of the meal. Fantastic!!!

We went IN PERSON to the Dining Room (The one for traditional dining on the Star) as soon as we got on the ship. We were first on the list. Fabulous experience...hope you are successful! Another thought for you....send an email to the Maitre D on your ship before you board, explain that you are celebrating your anniversary and would love to be included in Chef's Table. It never hurts to be a little proactive. We sent an email to our wonderful Maitre D because of another dining issue and were amazed that, when we went to see him upon boarding the ship, he actually knew who we were, had our email and had already solved our problem!

Thank you for your insight clmom. Would you be willing to share the email address of the Maitre D' on the Star?

DH & I are cruising on the Caribbean Princess in June & I'd like to try for the Chef's Table. DH is a vegetarian. Is this going to affect our chances of being selected? Do they ask about dietary issues/restrictions when you apply or only when selected?

Thanks for any info on this.

DH & I are cruising on the Caribbean Princess in June & I'd like to try for the Chef's Table. DH is a vegetarian. Is this going to affect our chances of being selected? Do they ask about dietary issues/restrictions when you apply or only when selected?

Yes, the chef will not adjust the menu for allergies or food dislikes. Your husband would not get his money's worth, I'm afraid. Lots of fish and meat dishes. We all had to attend a meeting the day of the dinner so the Maitre D could assess whether anyone was ill and we were asked about allergies and told outright that the chef would not alter the menu to accommodate allergies or any other requests.

Thank you for your insight clmom. Would you be willing to share the email address of the Maitre D' on the Star?

when you get closer to your sailing date, you will receive emails letting you know who will be the Captain, Cruise Director, Hotel Director and Maitre D' on board for that sailing. I wasn't exactly sure what the Maitre D's email address was but after doing some research and seeing that other Princess staff members use the first letter of their first name and their full last name @Princess.com, I tried that. In my email I was specific about who I was trying to reach, what ship, what sailing date and the cruise itinerary # so in the event the email got to some random person at Princess, they would be able to direct it to the correct person. So..to answer your question, I am not sure I used the correct email address but my email did get into the hands of the correct person!

I wonder how many people who sign up for it don't make it on each cruise? If it's a lot (and it sounds like it is), I wonder why Princess doesn't raise the price to $100 or $150pp. $75 sounds very inexpensive for what you get, especially when one considers the Ultimate Ship Tour is $150.

I got on the ship before 12:00, raced to my room and called about the Chef's Table. They said we were one of the first callers. They asked several questions and then asked if we had any allergies. I said that I had a shellfish allergy, but I didn't mind skipping the shellfish and that my husband and I were so eager to experience the meal. With that information there was a noticeable change in the tone of his voice and he said they would let us know. That evening we talked to the maitre d'. I explained that I felt that I was not chosen despite being one of the first callers because of my shellfish allergy. He took our names and said he would check on it. We still didn't get to go.

I was very disappointed and sorry that I told them I had an allergy. Even time I go out to eat I have to skip the shellfish on the menu. It would be no different at the Chef's Table. I would still enjoy everything else. I would really enjoy watching my husband eat it all too!

My advice....Don't tell them you have an allergy or restriction until after you get chosen.

I got on the ship before 12:00, raced to my room and called about the Chef's Table. They said we were one of the first callers. They asked several questions and then asked if we had any allergies. I said that I had a shellfish allergy, but I didn't mind skipping the shellfish and that my husband and I were so eager to experience the meal. With that information there was a noticeable change in the tone of his voice and he said they would let us know. That evening we talked to the maitre d'. I explained that I felt that I was not chosen despite being one of the first callers because of my shellfish allergy. He took our names and said he would check on it. We still didn't get to go.

I was very disappointed and sorry that I told them I had an allergy. Even time I go out to eat I have to skip the shellfish on the menu. It would be no different at the Chef's Table. I would still enjoy everything else. I would really enjoy watching my husband eat it all too!

My advice....Don't tell them you have an allergy or restriction until after you get chosen.

I have read other posts that say the problem for anyone with a shellfish allergy is that some of the other courses may use it as an ingredient. Having no knowledge about how severe such an allergy could be, could you enlighten me if using shellfish (or even broth) as an ingredient, no matter how small, could be a problem?

Thanks...just wondering? :confused:

We called the minute we boarded and we were the first of the "general" boarders to get on. It was made pretty clear to us at that time that we were one of the first on the list and would get in. At the aforementioned Cruise Critics meeting, we were told about the 66 who had signed up and how many would be disappointed, and that what we were told about getting in was not necessarily so. However, we did get in, and it was the highlight of the trip. I would try to do it again.

Aside from stowing away from the preceding cruise and calling at 10am, I'm not sure there is a sure way to be picked! We called at 1pm (Crown, March 26) and were told we were the first on the w/l. So, the next day - a sea day - we were in the cabin until about 11am and returned at 3p. Apparently they must have called right after we left since there was a message that we had to call back by noon to confirm!!

When we did call, at 3pm, they told us they gave our slot to someone else. Obviously, we were quite upset. But we went down to the DR at 6p as directed on the message (it said call back by 12n OR come down to the DR at 6). We then met the Maitre D, filled out the forms and we were in - go figure!

The Chef's Table was a worthwhile venture overall. The Executive Chef for the entire cruise line was onboard and he was a delight. Wasn't crazy about the main course though - it was a medieval roast on a spit and flambeed tableside. The meats were veal, pork, and a repeat of the excellent beef filets that we had two night before in the DR. Alas, both the pork and veal were quite tough.

Desert was excellent, as were the three appetizers served in the galley before the seating. A lobster risotto was served at the table, pre-main, and was terrific. Wine was conservatively poured through out the meal - a Pinot Grigio (Santa Marg), Ferrara-Carano Merlot, and the excellent late-harvest Sauvignon Blanc for dessert. Also, the Heidseik Monopole in the galley with the stand-up apps!

The entire presentation was lots of fun and the fellow diners at our table were all wonderful! It was lots of fun to parade through the DR - chef at the lead with a lovely fellow guest in hand - as they marched us into the galley! Everyone received two photos (that's $40 right there!) and a signed copy of the excellent Courses cookbook. The ladies also were given a long-stemmed red rose - nice touch. This experience is well worth it!

Archived