My droid has wifi - do I need to pay access fees?

mithryl

If I'm using my droid, either as a phone or as an e-reader while onboard (the Solstice), and I have 3G, do I need to pay for internet access through the ship?

I've never sailed with my own 3G before, so I'm not sure whether I need to buy internet minutes...anyone know the answer?

Yes, internet access must be paid for. You won't find many ports that have 3G. You will need to buy internet time on board the ship.

Phone access is not the same as internet access -- phone calls are pretty expensive to make on board ship, something like $2.49 a minute.

If you want to use the internet, you will have to buy an internet package (of time) from Celebrity...and it isn't cheap. If you want to use 3g, I believe it's $2.49 a minute.

You might just want to turn 3g and internet off for the cruise :)

From the Celebrity website, charges for internet (wifi) access.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do?faqId=515&faqSubjectName=Ship+and+Stateroom+Details&pagename=faq_answers

So now you know the rates for the packages, but you also need to be aware of the fact that Celebrity, (and most of the cruise lines) now offer cellular service, which will allow your phone to connect via cell, at a much higher per minute rate. So if you want to allow connection at a lower cost, you probably should sign up for an internet package, and set your phone to use ONLY wifi, and not cell access.

Another caution, AFAIK, internet charges are from time of connection to time of disconnect, so as long as you have your phone on, and connected via wifi, you will be experiencing charges, whether or not you are talking/texting.

Others wtih more experience may offer their advice.

If I'm using my droid, either as a phone or as an e-reader while onboard (the Solstice), and I have 3G, do I need to pay for internet access through the ship?

I've never sailed with my own 3G before, so I'm not sure whether I need to buy internet minutes...anyone know the answer?

I have a droid Incredible. Be careful of roaming charges! Your phone is constantly downloading and searching for updates. If you do not have a cruise plan, through your carrier, then turn everything off. I made the mistake of emailing a photo back home shortly after leaving port and ended up with a $160 charge. For ONE email! Fortunately, I was able to work with my carrier but I was still charged a portion of that charge. Read your manual or talk to your wireless carrier before sailing.

Hope you enjoy the Solstice...we're booked for Feb 2012!

Archived