New Yorkers, where can I find the best.....

slice of pizza?

black and white cookie? Will this be a deli or bakery? Kids want cupcakes too.

bagels?

Does anyone know what time the last train departs from Penn to Secaucus Junction?

Last question: The kids think going to the top of the Empire State building sounds like a great idea at night. Is it seriously $22 roughly per person? I'm not sure it is worth $100+ for the five of us to experience NYC lit up.

Thanks.

I think you have to understand that New York is a very big city, and the "best" slice of pizza or black and white cookie might be at someplace that is nowhere near where you're staying or touring. Besides, everyone will have his/her personal favorites, and mine might not be the same as someone else's.

I would say it is worth the money to go to the top of the Empire State Building.

The best pizza places don't serve by the slice. I like Anthony's Coal Oven on West 57th or Grimaldi's in Brooklyn.

As far as Black & Whites are concerned, it's hard to get a bad one anywhere because the recipe is basically the same.

For bagels it is a tie for me between Ess-A-Bagel and H&H.

Last question: The kids think going to the top of the Empire State building sounds like a great idea at night. Is it seriously $22 roughly per person? I'm not sure it is worth $100+ for the five of us to experience NYC lit up.

Thanks.

Seriously?

The Empire State Buildings is one of the greatest Art Deco Buildings in the world that has been the showcase of multiple movies (King Kong, Sleepless In Seattle, An Affair To Remember and multiple others) with a view of one of the greatest cities in the world??

I'm flabbergasted.

Last question: The kids think going to the top of the Empire State building sounds like a great idea at night. I'm not sure it is worth $100+ for the five of us to experience NYC lit up.Thanks.

The kids are right. It's absolutely worth it.

slice of pizza?

There are so many great places to grab a slice. Probably any place that isn't a chain would be good

black and white cookie? Will this be a deli or bakery? Kids want cupcakes too.

For cupcakes hit off a Crumbs or Junior's - mulitple locations. See which is close to where you are going to be

bagels?

H&H - also multiple locations

As a lifelong NY'er I can say without a doubt, it's well worth the price.

Thanks.

Well I'm going to disagree with those before me and suggest you not go to the top of the ESB but rather, the top of 30 Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock"). The view is spectacular, as you would imagine, and the railings are glass. This means you have amazing views and of course, from the Top of the Rock you can see the Empire State Building. :)

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Well I'm going to disagree with those before me and suggest you not go to the top of the ESB but rather, the top of 30 Rockefeller Center ("Top of the Rock"). The view is spectacular, as you would imagine, and the railings are glass. This means you have amazing views and of course, from the Top of the Rock you can see the Empire State Building. :)

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

Well, I almost mentioned Top of the Rock, but it seemed to me that the issue was the price and price alone and I believe the rates are comparable.

Also, I think the ESB is one of those "been there, done that" things (sort of like New Year's Eve in Times Square) that's good to do, if not for the architecture alone. ;)

Top of the Rock is the better view. ESB is the iconic NY tourist experience. H&H has the best bagels (and you can buy them--probably a day old, but WTH) for 50¢ at Stile's Market on 9th Avenue between 41st & 42nd Streets. What is a black and white cookie?

Archived