Why do cruise line refuse to deal with and stop the issue of chair hogs?

apollobeach

Why do cruise line refuse to deal with and stop the issue of chair hogs? Cruise lines continually say they want us to have a relaxed vacation but allow a practice that is stressful and could be confrontational. :confused::confused:

Cruise Lines do not want to create any dissatisfaction amongst passengers. They try to please everyone regardless if that passenger is right of wrong. They don't want to deal with valid issues. This applies to:

1. Dress Code

2. Dining Options (Anytime Dining reservations)

3. Smoking

4. Kids running up and down the hallways in the middle of the night.

5. Noisy passengers

Just to name a few.

I am sure that others can add to this list.

On our 2 cruises last year (Panama Canal in late April and LA to Hawaai and back at Christmas), chair hogs were abundant. The same chair hogs seem to only understand one thing - move their towels, books and shoes. They appear before breakfast on the chairs and stay until the dinner bell is called.

After spending 16 days on Diamond I can't relate to your problem. We had more than enough lounges, even at the MUTS. If it botheres you, you should say something to the ones doing it and mover their stuff. I would.

You really have to be very careful when addressing issues like these to others. They may be very physical. Tough world today.

Just got off the Ruby on Sunday. Spring break. No problem getting chairs...we were at the MUTS pool.

It was so hot that most folks either bolted from the pool around noon or tried to find a shady spot to drag their chair to.

There were actually tons of available chairs from about noon on.

Just off the Crown, had big issue with chair hogs. I only hung out by the pools once or twice and just moved their towels into a nice towel. They were gone for hours. If they really wanted their spots, they'd leave one person there to guard or they'd sit there themselves. Don't feel bad about moving. I wouldn't expect my towel to guard my spot for hours or even 5 minutes.

Other than posting a request in the Patter there's not much they can do about the problem. They just rely on people to do what they think is right.

What are the Deck Attendant for? I know, not to watch each chair, but it is obvious when a chair is left for hours. Some cruises lines do remove items after 30 minutes.

I was on the Caribbean Princess last month. They placed signs all around the pool stating that vacant chairs would have towels removed from them. I never saw this happen (at least not by ship's crew) but at least the hogs were warned.

I have never had a problem in over 21 years of cruising.Either get up early,i always do at 5-6 am and am up until midnight and can have pretty much any chair i want to.If i am on tour and return in the afternoon,i just hang around wherever i want a spot and when someone leaves for an hour,i toss the towel and put my stuff.Never had a problem.Some people look for problems,i think.

There is a chair somewhere on the ship anyway or i can go to my 9 ft x 9 ft balcony,if i choose.

:)

What are the Deck Attendant for? I know, not to watch each chair, but it is obvious when a chair is left for hours. Some cruises lines do remove items after 30 minutes.

I agree there are a few bad offenders around and they should remove items but I'd bet they get into more arguments by removing stuff and would rather not get involved. Even one day when I told one attendant that I timed a couple that just threw their bag down on a Lotus pool lounge chair & was done for 2 hours, he still did nothing & agreed with me that they shouldn't do so. Most of them just go about their business & let the people work it out for themselves.

Why would you want Princess to enforce it's own guidlines? Have you ever seen them do that before? I would not call them rules as then they would need to enforce them. Too may guidlenes posted through out their web pages, brochures, documentation and on signs throughout the ship for many many things. And now you have the audacity to ask them to actually want the passengers to abide by them. How dare you ask them to do that as then it might just upset a few passengers who think they are better than the rest of us. The day they come out with a letter to each and every ship and say that each and every ship must abide by and enforce these guidlines will be the day you see some unhappy cruisers but many others will applaud and have a much better experience. It may happen right after the pigs land and certain places thaw out.

I actually spoke to Princess about this problem, as well as a few others, not all that long ago while onboard on a cruise. Their answer was that since most of the passengers are adults, they feel that they know the rules/guidelines and they expect them to abide by them. :confused:

Which we all know in most instances, this isn't going to happen with the

'ME ME ME' attitude of most in todays world.

But they also felt it was not up to them to 'police' adults to remind them what is proper and what is not. So, it sounds like there are no plans anytime soon to fix this 'improper behavior' (the cruise lines words, not mine) by some passengers. ;)

Princess has a number of "rules" that are little more than suggestions. In addition to areas listed above:

1. Alcohol rules/smuggling

2. Elite Perks/bring friends along for the ride.

I agree. We have friends who are Elite. If they are cruising with friends who are not Elite, they include their laundry with theirs. annoys me.

My father was an Army officer and a Baptist Deacon. I am a real rule follower!

Require a number for a chair. You check in on deck and take the number attached to a chair and give it to a deck person in charge. He logs your name and reminds you that you can't leave a towel and go away for more than 30 minutes or the chair automatically ebcomes available. Perhaps an automated system might work, somewhat like a credit card swipe.Maybe even a fine automatically charged to your room if you are found to violate the policy

There are a few reasons, in reality..

1> The cruise lines are so careful about no offending people that they cause people to be inadvertently offended. Otherwise known as the lose-lose proposition and there's no real way around it.

2> The staff gets paid very little, especially in positions like pool attendants. They get a share of the tip pool that makes up a lot of their income. They are afraid to offend people and risk that.

3> For the cruiselines to put in a system to actually track chair use, etc would require more staffing (at least 1 person at each pool at all times) and hardware for the more technical options. This costs money and they will still offend people who will think they are being 'watched'.

So you won't see a formal enforcement anytime soon except in extreme cases.

Honestly I am more concerned about enforcing the no diapered kids rule than this, that's an actual health hazard on an enclosed ship.

I am far to busy enjoying myself on a cruise to check my watch every time someone else leaves their chair and comes back to their chair. There are alot more entertaining thing to do on my vacation.

I think this is one issue that is on the bottom of their list to try to rectify, the cruise lines aren’t losing profits because of chair hogs. They have more important passenger behavior to agonize about….the cheapskates on board who interfere with their revenue.

While chair hogs are annoying, I certainly would not phrase this issue as being stressful unless you choose it to be. The problem mostly occurs on sea days and most of the time the majority of empty loungers with towels on them are very close to the pool areas. If one takes a stroll further away it is usually much easier to find loungers available….I always do and either locate one right away or in a few minutes.

I agree there are a few bad offenders around and they should remove items but I'd bet they get into more arguments by removing stuff and would rather not get involved. Even one day when I told one attendant that I timed a couple that just threw their bag down on a Lotus pool lounge chair & was done for 2 hours, he still did nothing & agreed with me that they shouldn't do so. Most of them just go about their business & let the people work it out for themselves.

So, what is their business? That is the problem. They/Cruise Lines don't do anything but let people slide and hope it just goes away.

Archived