End of Military OBC.

Classiccruiser777

I think that is a really cheap decision by Cunard, the cost to them was fairly minimal and the goodwill generated was huge. It is not as if the ships were suddenly over-run by with squaddies, matelots and bootnecks. Shame on you Cunard.

Ouch.. bet this won't go down lightly in their more public channels (Facebook, twitter..)

Seems an odd thing to cut short - afaik, it's not even publicly mentioned is it? ie. You have to know about it to apply..

Just in the middle of applying for mine and my travel partner is also in the military - be interesting to see if we both get it or it's per cabin..

Cheers,

Chris

Just in the middle of applying for mine and my travel partner is also in the military - be interesting to see if we both get it or it's per cabin..
For what it's worth, my OBC was applied only to my side of the account and wasn't split between the two of us. So maybe there's a chance it would apply separately to each of you. Or not...

When I booked out next cruise, the deal came with a $400 OBC. When I asked the TA about applying for the military OBC in addition, she said that if i did, the $400 OBC would disappear. I'm under the impression that the $400 OBC is actually a rebate from the travel agency and has nothing to do with Cunard.

Anyone know if this is a true statement?:confused:

Also, what about losing the $400 OBC if I were to apply for the military OBC?:confused:

Note, the military credit for our next voyage is only $100 (14 day cruise).

In this past January we took a 21 day cruise and got the $250 military OBC and also an OBC from the travel agency.

A lot of the Travel Agents know nothing about the Military OBC. We have two cruises booked. For the first one which is in two weeks time we originally had $430 OBC and we then applied for the Military OBC so our OBC has now been raised to $680. For our second cruise next January, again we had $500 and this has now been raised to $750 which includes the Military OBC. Don't let your Travel Agent get one over on you as the Military OBC is completely separate from any other OBC you may have.:)

Is the military OBC applicable to retired service personnel or do you still have to be serving? Also, does it apply to the British military?

The answers are yes, no and yes. If you read this thread, http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314622&highlight=military+obc you will see that all your questions have been asked and answered.

Capnpugwash - many thanks for yet another helpful response. I called Cunard and they have given me an email address and informed me of the information they require which is now sent.

Also note (I can only speak for the US) that being "retired" from the military in the strict sense isn't even required. All you need is to have served at least 2 years and have an honorable discharge (or have served in a war zone, I think).

Also note (I can only speak for the US) that being "retired" from the military in the strict sense isn't even required. All you need is to have served at least 2 years and have an honorable discharge (or have served in a war zone, I think).

4 years..honorable discharge..That's all

4 years..honorable discharge..That's all

http://www.cunard.com/About-Cunard-Line/News-Room/Cunard-News/?art=6534

* Veterans with an Honourable Discharge serving a minimum of two years or six months in an active war zone in any of the United States service divisions listed above or Canadian National Defense (DD 214 plus current photo ID).

• 8 months later...

The armed services do a difficult and often dangerous job. The same could be said of other key workers such as teachers, nurses, fire persons and the police. I am grateful that people do the jobs that I could not. I believe that public servants should be paid a good salary (and pension) from public taxation. The onboard credit was a nice extra but should not really be necessary.

I feel the real need is the mentally and physically injured ex soldiers who apparently are often homeless and sleep on the streets. It is a scandal that this is acceptable in our society. We are unlikely to meet these people on a Cunard cruise. In the UK the Royal British Legion is an excellent charity that I have supported in a small way for many years. Perhaps Cunard could support this charity as an alternative to the onboard credit.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. I work in the private sector.

...In the UK the Royal British Legion is an excellent charity that I have supported in a small way for many years. Perhaps Cunard could support this charity as an alternative to the onboard credit....

Excellent idea. Before our last cruise, which was the one and only occasion on which I received the military obc, I donated an equivalent amount to my Regimental Association who also work to support former members of the Regiment who have fallen on hard time or who have been physically or mentally injured as a result of their service. I felt really guilty about accepting the obc as I felt that I had done nothing whatsoever to merit it.

J

I felt really guilty about accepting the obc as I felt that I had done nothing whatsoever to merit it.

Hello Cruachan, from on former serviceman to another, the fact that you wore the uniform and did what you were told and were willing to do whatever sacrifice you were called upon to make earned you that OBC as well as your nation's respect. Few are willing to do what you did.

The armed services do a difficult and often dangerous job. The same could be said of other key workers such as teachers, nurses, fire persons and the police. I am grateful that people do the jobs that I could not. I believe that public servants should be paid a good salary (and pension) from public taxation. The onboard credit was a nice extra but should not really be necessary.

I feel the real need is the mentally and physically injured ex soldiers who apparently are often homeless and sleep on the streets. It is a scandal that this is acceptable in our society. We are unlikely to meet these people on a Cunard cruise. In the UK the Royal British Legion is an excellent charity that I have supported in a small way for many years. Perhaps Cunard could support this charity as an alternative to the onboard credit.

Best wishes, Stephen.

PS. I work in the private sector.

Excellent idea. Before our last cruise, which was the one and only occasion on which I received the military obc, I donated an equivalent amount to my Regimental Association who also work to support former members of the Regiment who have fallen on hard time or who have been physically or mentally injured as a result of their service. I felt really guilty about accepting the obc as I felt that I had done nothing whatsoever to merit it.

J

Stephen and Cruachan, thank you for your posts. You reminded me that during this Season of Peace, we should never forget those who protect our peace and security, either by individual donations of money and/or volunteer time.

:)Happy Holidays,

Salacia

Archived