Jfk Hotels Questions Please Help

bballmom21

I am flying into JFK as the rates were too good to pass up. My plans were to grab a hotel for the night and take a taxi to the Manhatten Cruise Terminal in the morning, as sightseeing was not in the plans this time. Im wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel at JFK as I'm starting to worry about some reviews I'm reading? Also, is there another area that hotels would be less than city prices that would be easy to get to by taxi and to the terminal by taxi the next day. I'd rather not pay city prices just to sleep! Thanks so much for your help!

I am flying into JFK as the rates were too good to pass up. My plans were to grab a hotel for the night and take a taxi to the Manhatten Cruise Terminal in the morning, as sightseeing was not in the plans this time. Im wondering if anyone can suggest a hotel at JFK as I'm starting to worry about some reviews I'm reading? Also, is there another area that hotels would be less than city prices that would be easy to get to by taxi and to the terminal by taxi the next day. I'd rather not pay city prices just to sleep! Thanks so much for your help!

The ONLY hotel I would even consider around JFK is the Doubletree (used to be the Radisson). And it too has a contract with the City of New York for emergency housing. On the weekends, the need for emergency housing is generally greater than on the weekdays (family violence, shootings, drug busts, etc). I used to stay sometimes for my monthly trips to NYC. But after one night where it looked like 1/2 the housing project moved into the Radisson, with kids running wild in the hallways and boxes and bags packed in the hallways and lobby, I said no more.

A taxi from JFK to LGA is about $35.00. There is a Crowne Plaza and Marriott directly across the parkway from the airport and across the street from each other. Both can usually be booked for $125 or less per night per room on Priceline BIDDING. 3.5*, LGA area. ONLY 3.5* hotels in the area, so you are guaranteed to get one or the other.

Quikbook has also been running the Crowne Plaza for about $125. They call it the LaGuardia Plaza Hotel, but it is the Crowne Plaza. Might even be able to book at a decent rate directly on the Crowne Plaza website. http://www.laguardiaplazahotel.com/ BOTH the Crowne and Marriott are very satisfactory hotels.

Any other creative suggestions for the OP? What about the new hotels in Brooklyn or the ones in Long Island City? Could they find something that would be competitive with a $125 Crowne Plaza or Marriott at LGA?

Personally, I think the LGA properties are the best thing for the OP. There will be plenty of cabs available in the a.m. to drive them over to Manhattan for the cruise. LIC is good if one wants to take the subway for sightseeing, but the OP just wants a nice place to spend the night.

Any other creative suggestions for the OP? What about the new hotels in Brooklyn or the ones in Long Island City? Could they find something that would be competitive with a $125 Crowne Plaza or Marriott at LGA?

Most are cookie cutter, chain hotels. No place to eat without leaving the hotel and where that would be in LIC close to one of the hotels, I have no idea. Lots of fairly good bodegas and delis in the area to pick up a quickie breakfast/lunch but as LIC is still a very industrial area, there are few decent restaurants close to most hotels. LIC hotels were primarily built for business travelers not wanting to pay Manhattan prices. Additional taxi fees are probably in the price to get to a decent restaurant. The Ravel hotel is a full service hotel with restaurant and nightclub and highly recommended but it is not in the $125 price range.

Even the chain hotels in Brooklyn are in the $150 and up price range. Once in a while, you can get the Brooklyn Marriott for less than $140 on Priceline BIDDING or Hotwire and if you could, that would be the best choice. But the normal price for the Brooklyn Marriott is generally over $200 per night.

I do appreciate everyones info, but am still confused not knowing the area. If I take a taxi from JFK to LGA Hotel that would be around $35? Then into Manhatten in the a.m. for another $35 from the hotel? Would I be better to get a taxi to a Brooklyn hotel from JFK and then to the Terminal in the a.m.? Sorry just dont know the area at all and just want a hotel for dinner and a nights sleep. Have always driven to NY terminals but airfare was less than gas and parking!! thanks

I do appreciate everyones info, but am still confused not knowing the area. If I take a taxi from JFK to LGA Hotel that would be around $35? Then into Manhatten in the a.m. for another $35 from the hotel? Would I be better to get a taxi to a Brooklyn hotel from JFK and then to the Terminal in the a.m.? Sorry just dont know the area at all and just want a hotel for dinner and a nights sleep. Have always driven to NY terminals but airfare was less than gas and parking!! thanks

Yes, about $35 including tip for a taxi from JFK to the hotel near LGA, and then about $35 including tip from the hotel to the cruise terminal the next day. It wouldn't be any cheaper in total to take a taxi from JFK to a downtown Brooklyn hotel and then a taxi from the hotel to the Manhattan pier the next day, and you may very well pay more for a hotel in Brooklyn than one of those greatam recommended near LGA.

Thank you all very much. I will book a hotel at lga and taxi to the terminal in the morning. Ill look at the crown plaza or marriott as we've used them often when traveling. thank you all very much, im sure all ideas would be do-able, just looking for easiest the time! This board has been so helpful for all questions with past cruises.

Archived