Careful with TAs from Florida

m steve

The legislature just passed a bill eliminating licencing for many businesses incl. TAs. Before booking a cruise thru any Fl agency I would check out their reputation with other cruisers or BBB. Several other types of businesses are also being deregulated incl. several that have had scams associated with them. More and more we have to protect ourselves.

Absolutely. "Let the buyer beware" has always been a valid truism. We should always do our homework before we entrust our money to anyone, including insurance agent, vehicle repair shop, or travel company/agent.

The legislature just passed a bill eliminating licencing for many businesses incl. TAs. Before booking a cruise thru any Fl agency I would check out their reputation with other cruisers or BBB. Several other types of businesses are also being deregulated incl. several that have had scams associated with them. More and more we have to protect ourselves.

A recent expose of the BBB revealed that many businesses who don`t pay the BBB the $450.00 fee to register with them get unfavorable ratings even though no complaints have been lodged.

Two businessmen recently contacted the BBB to register a totally fictional company named "Hamas" (Terrorist Organization). They payed the BBB the required fee and shortly thereafter "Hamas" had an A- rating with the BBB.

A recent expose of the BBB revealed that many businesses who don`t pay the BBB the $450.00 fee to register with them get unfavorable ratings even though no complaints have been lodged.

Two businessmen recently contacted the BBB to register a totally fictional company named "Hamas" (Terrorist Organization). They payed the BBB the required fee and shortly thereafter "Hamas" had an A- rating with the BBB.

I saw that documentary and it was very eye-opening. If the report was totally accurate, their credibility has been badly lessened.

The BBB is not credible. It is a "pay to play" organization and if complaints are filed, the business only needs to send a reply (not a resolution) for the BBB to close the complaint. I checked on a company that has a record of horrid practices towards consumers...........it had 3 complaints and an A+ rating. Consumers don't have it easy gathering truthful information these days..............

I saw that documentary and it was very eye-opening. If the report was totally accurate, their credibility has been badly lessened.

I wish I had seen that documentary. When I owned my agency I did not join the BBB because I believed the same thing: you pay and get a good rating. A client was once told less-than-flattering things from the BBB about my agency and I immediately challenged it. THAT sure changed in a hurry....

:mad: I was a victum of an onlie TA that was endosed by an online company where you can search for prices and different travel agencies wil submit their offers. This is suppose

to be an "non-preference" type of site for the travel consumer. What an expensive and hard lesson learned !!

The Florida State Attorney General's office was of NO help in

resolving this agency's fraudulent operations. The Florida

BBB was of NO help, whatsoever !!!

Any offer that you receive from Florida whether by "E"mail, regular mail, telephone etc., should be discarded without fail. They have been notorious for many years as being fraudulent.

Any offer that you receive from Florida whether by "E"mail, regular mail, telephone etc., should be discarded without fail. They have been notorious for many years as being fraudulent.

That's very unfair! :( Agree that there are some FL agents who are less than honest, but what about the large NJ Agency who went bankrupt several years ago & never paid the cruise lines the initial deposits? Many people on this board were very upset & sweating it out..

There are dishonest Agents everywhere, we had them in NYC too..

We live in Florida & have a wonderful Florida TA..We checked them out with the State Consumer Protection Agency before even giving them one dime..

I agree with those who say that the BBB ratings are not credible..

Betty

Florida in general and South Florida in particular have long been known as havens for fraud. I know this, as I practiced law for many years in Miami.

It is sad for this country that even after a near-total economic meltdown, there are still those who want to allow fraudulent businesses to operate without regulation.

All of us should have learned long ago that you don't let the fox run the henhouse.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

Best bet is to ask the TA, any TA, if the payments will be made directly to the cruiseline or if they will go to the TA. Once I find out that the TA will be taking the payment, I move on! Reputable TA's bill the payments directly to the cruiseline.

You are talking about HB5007 it did pass.

I agree with the comments on the BBB.

At one time, a business that chose not to be a member was labeled as that -- "not a BBB member". Now the BBB will label a non-member as "non-accredited", which makes it seem like something evil is going on. Not so. It just means that the business didn't fork over the protection money. I asked the BBB about this, and they chose not to comment.

It's time for the BBB to be investigated.

Absolutely. "Let the buyer beware" has always been a valid truism. We should always do our homework before we entrust our money to anyone, including insurance agent, vehicle repair shop, or travel company/agent.

I have had issues with a TA in Florida. Was not pleasant, ended badly and I won't be using a TA online again. Not saying they are all bad, just that I got burned, or more correctly, they tried to take advantage of me. didn't work out well for them.

Archived