Diamonds International

charmee

Depending on how small the diamond is and/or quality it could be replaced by a jeweler in Canada or US for about $70-$125. I had that happen with a ring that was purchased here in Illinois and the jewelers charged me about $70. Whatever you do, good luck and I hope it works out for you. P.S. DI is a total rip-off.

You're probably right about the stone, and your assessment of DI is accurate from my perspective. But they should step up and resolve this issue relatively quickly. The OP paid almost $1100 for the ring ... no small amount, according to her ... and since the stone fell out so soon after purchase, she shouldn't have to put any more money into the piece. They're supposed to be pretty good with regard to these matters, although it will likely involve shipping the ring to one of its repair facilities. Princess also has an obligation to facilitiate the resolution, since DI is one of their "recommended" merchants (albeit for a price). I'm hoping that she gets in touch with the cruise line today, so that the matter may be put to rest.

I also bought a ring at DI a few years back. Never used the ring but three times and I noticed one stone missing. To cut a long story short---it cost me about $100 to get a new tiny stone and lots of letters back and forth. Don't think I would buy another one there. At another port, I went to another jewelry store and bought a ring, have had no trouble in 6 yrs with any of the stones.

Call this kind of a lame "we told you so," but over the years several here on CC (including moi) have warned about buying from "Cruise Passenger" jewelers like DI. Why folks would go to the Caribbean, Alaska, or other ports where there are DI stores (ever notice they are only located in cruise ports) and buy things is beyond me. There is no advantage to buying Diamonds (or other precious stongs) or precious metals outside the USA since there is no duty on the import of these items. In simple terms there is no price advantage outside the US and there is little recourse if something goes wrong with stuff bought outside the country. For Diamonds it makes sense to price-out a stone on legit web sites like Blue Nile (where you can get a price on specific GIA graded stones) and then compare to other sources.

Hank

Call this kind of a lame "we told you so," but over the years several here on CC (including moi) have warned about buying from "Cruise Passenger" jewelers like DI. Why folks would go to the Caribbean, Alaska, or other ports where there are DI stores (ever notice they are only located in cruise ports) and buy things is beyond me. There is no advantage to buying Diamonds (or other precious stongs) or precious metals outside the USA since there is no duty on the import of these items. In simple terms there is no price advantage outside the US and there is little recourse if something goes wrong with stuff bought outside the country. For Diamonds it makes sense to price-out a stone on legit web sites like Blue Nile (where you can get a price on specific GIA graded stones) and then compare to other sources.

Hank

Absolutely.

Nothing beats the service I get from a couple of local jewelers, like one I've used in New Cumberland.;):)

It also amazes me that people buy "art" on a cruise ship when they probably have never bought anything before from a galley on land. But that's another subject for another time.:D

What some people find appealing about purchasing jewelry on their cruises is the huge selection. I live near Boston and promise you I'd have to do a lot of dragging around to find near the jewelry selection we see in St. Maarten and St. Thomas not to mention San Juan etc etc etc

I'd never bother running all over the city looking in this store and that to find the huge selection like in the Caribbean..... though that has changed dramatically in the last few years. Recession has hit jewelers in the Caribbean like a sledge hammer and the selection is diminished dramatically. They can't afford to carry the inventory like they used to.

People make impulsive purchases while on vacation and have the fun of buying memorable pieces.

Some people are busy in their 'real life' and don't have the time or interest in shopping for jewelry when at home with all the usual demands on our time and energy. However, they want to have a small (or not so small) collection of jewelry to wear and enjoy. It's fun and relaxing to make these purchases while on vacation.

Where's the harm?

As long as people do not spend money they can't afford, as long as they are not making these purchases thinking they can someday sell their jewelry and recoup the money they spent on it, where's the problem? As long as they know it is not a good investment of value, who are they hurting? Not everything in our life MUST be practical if you have discretionary funds. Is it the best value/quality/buy? Probably not. But not everyone has to have the best of all categories. If you see it, like it, can afford it and know you probably can never get money back for it, buy it and get pleasure from your purchase. Buy it because you think it pretty, because you like it, because you can. Enjoy.

JMO......

That being said, we have never purchased anything in any DI and it is highly unlikely we ever will. (And neither me, DH or anyone of my family or friends are jewelers. :D)

Edited by sail7seas

What some people find appealing about purchasing jewelry on their cruises is the huge selection. I live near Boston and promise you I'd have to do a lot of dragging around to find near the jewelry selection we see in St. Maarten and St. Thomas not to mention San Juan etc etc etc

People make impulsive purchases while on vacation and have the fun of buying memorable pieces.

Some people are busy in their 'real life' and don't have the time or interest in shopping for jewelry when at home with all the usual demands on our time and energy. However, they want to have a small (or not so small) collection of jewelry to wear and enjoy. It's fun and relaxing to make these purchases while on vacation.

Where's the harm?

As long as people do not spend money they can't afford, as long as they are not making these purchases thinking they can someday sell their jewelry and recoup the money they spent on it, where's the problem? As long as they know it is not a good investment of value, who are they hurting? Not everything in our life MUST be practical if you have discretionary funds. Is it the best value/quality/buy? Probably not. But not everyone has to have the best of all categories. If you see it, like it, can afford it and know you probably can never get money back for it, buy it and get pleasure from your purchase. Enjoy.

That being said, we have never purchased anything in any DI and it is highly unlikely we ever will. (And neither me, DH or anyone of my family or friends are jewelers. :D)

There is no harm......to those who have not done it. ;) BUT, many people do not think about all the points you made. They come home, have a problem and have difficulty in getting a resolution, then post on CC about all their frustrations. You don't see posts from people who have bought what they can afford, know it is not an investment, or maybe not the best quality, but enjoy it nonetheless.

IMO, these types of threads do provide a "public service" of sorts, by emphazing that there are things to take into consideration when making these types of purchases.

Those of us who've been cruising for a while are aware of the pitfalls noted above. But the OP has already purchased the item, and simply wishes it to be repaired. That's what we're trying to help her with here. I'm certain that she won't be doing business with DI again. There are many threads about not buying jewelry or other high-end items in cruise ports ... that's where such discussion belongs. What I'd like to see here is DI and Princess working to resolve the issue to the OP's satisfaction.

Yes, I agree, she is looking for help in resolving her lost stone issue. I think I made a valid suggestion she investigate if it wouldn't be 'viable' for her to have the stone replaced at a local jeweler, have all prongs checked so she doesn't lose more stones and learn from the experience.

(See post #16)

Edited by sail7seas

DI called me promptly after receiving my email. I had two options, send back to New York where they will assess it, tighten up settings, etc., or deal locally.

If I deal locally however, they would not guarantee any further service on ring. I opted to ship it off from Canada. They sent me explicit instructions. Problem, in Canada the postal service and delivery service will only insure up to $500.00 value, period.

So what choice did I have? I can spend more money and have diamond replaced here, and if anything happens in future I am out of luck, or ship it off and have them deal with it and take responsibility. I will keep you posted.

I did hear from Princess as well saying that they sympathized with my situation and don't like to highly recommend a jeweler and then patrons have problems. I wonder how common it is?

All I can do now is wait:(

I'm glad that everyone involved responded so quickly to your inquries. As was noted several times here, the likelihood was that you'd be sending the ring to DI. I don't have any numbers at hand ... but given the fact that DI has a repair facility (and a procedure in place to resolve such issues) I would think that a situation such as yours is not a rarity. I trust that underlying this incident is a lesson well-learned about purchasing high-end items away from home. Without offering an opinion either way about buying jewelry in the Caribbean (that's been done all over these forums) the hassle sometimes just isn't worth it. Again, I'm happy for you that a resolution is in progress. Enjoy the ring!

Al

• 1 month later...

I just got my ring back today from Diamonds International. I had been assigned a representative from their company named Abraham, who kept me up to date on what was happening with my ring after a stone was lost soon after my purchase.

I received it by Fed Ex today and it is just beautiful. I also had a rep from Princess that contacted me.

All in all, excellent customer service both from the cruise line and especially from Diamonds International. I am so please with my ring it is so stunning.

Thank you to all!!!!! I would buy from this company again. Nothing sparkles like a diamond from the Caribbean......

I just got my ring back today from Diamonds International. I had been assigned a representative from their company named Abraham, who kept me up to date on what was happening with my ring after a stone was lost soon after my purchase.

I received it by Fed Ex today and it is just beautiful. I also had a rep from Princess that contacted me.

All in all, excellent customer service both from the cruise line and especially from Diamonds International. I am so please with my ring it is so stunning.

Thank you to all!!!!! I would buy from this company again. Nothing sparkles like a diamond from the Caribbean......

Congrats Charmee, I'm glad your problem has been resolved and you now have a beautiful ring and a great souvenir. Lou

• 8 months later...

I was very happy reading this. My husband purchased me a beautiful diamond band in Nassau in September and I noticed last week one of the diamonds is missing. I contacted DI today and they took my info and advised they would have someone call me within 24 hours. I am hoping I get the same service as you! :D

• 2 years later...

I purchased a 5 diamond 2.5 carat ring at Diamonds on Jan. 23, 2014. On July 27 a diamond was missing & after careful examination, the prong was totally broken off. I rarely wore this ring. Only when I went out on special occasions, never at home & really quite seldom in the six months I had it. Now they are saying that it is over six months, (by 4 days), & they will not replace it. They are trying to say it is probably a design flaw. Don't they stand by the product they sell whether or not it is designed by someone else that they put their diamonds in???? Apparently not. I will never buy anything from them again & will tell everyone on the cruise ship & stores that I can. It was a lot of money for us to spend & I am thoroughly disgusted with DI!.

It is infortunate that you lost a stone but they will fix it, if under the warrenty period. They will not refund your money. Are you sure that you didn't bump the ring against something and loosen the stone yourself Some ring styles are prone to the happening so it may not be their fault.

Expect to ship the ring to their repair facility. It's not a big deal really and you will have it back soon.

I am the worst with rings. Very, very, very hard on them--I've cracked and chipped my sapphire and chipped a diamond hard. But I've never had a stone fall out. a properly mounted stone should be held in place even if one of the prongs is damaged.

OP--You can also speak to your credit card about this.