Consideration in the Lido

Bobed1927

This is to people who are unaware that they are causing a problem for people need in a table in the Lido at rush times. Many times on various ships I have had a problem trying to find a table to eat in the Lido while I see passengers who have finished their meals tying up tables by just sitting around and chatting or even playing cards. I realize that it's very pleasant to relax after your meal but it would be considerate to give up your table if you see other passengers walking around the Lido seeking a table to eat at.

The two are part and parcel of the same thing, chair hogs both at the pool and in theatres, table hogs. You can mix in line jumpers, unsupervised kids, over perfumers, non washers, etc..

Some people are socially conscious. Some people are me first. There's nothing any cruise line can do about it, its just something to be dealt with at any vacation.

Luckily, I think most cruisers wouldn't just sit and play cards at a large table right next to the buffet while people are roaming around holding their trays. Unfortunately, there are a few that will do just that and not see a thing wrong with it. Is it their right? Yep. Is it the courteous thing to do? Nope. There are always a few out there that just don't care. I'm just happy they're in the minority.

The reason for my original post was that I think that some people may just be unaware and I wanted to bring this problem to their attention. There's no hope for those who just don't give a damn for their fellow passengers.

The reason for my original post was that I think that some people may just be unaware and I wanted to bring this problem to their attention. There's no hope for those who just don't give a damn for their fellow passengers.

Hey, if you've made just ONE PERSON rethink tying up a much needed table, you've helped.

Hi All

Just reading these posts, two events come to mind on a cruise a few years

ago, at the airport a charter flight. about 300 odd of us in line, zig

zagging through those taped off ques to check in when a small group of

about 6 friends ducked under the tapes at on off the bends, a few folk

passed comment but what are you ment to do, then a rep had spotted

them took them out of line and marched them to the very end of the que,

to cheers from the 300 in the que, then at check in for the ship again a

que of 300 to sign the medi form, before getting too the desks, one guy

in a loud voice said he was elite so jumped out of line and went straight to

check in after he got checked in, he was guided to the back of the medi

form que again to folks laughing at him.

So what goes around and comes around.

yours Shogun

Thanks Runner15KM, but aren't you worried that someone will take the chaise that you've had tied up by the pool for the past few hours?

Ha! Good one! :D:p

To the OP, I think that most people here on Cruise Critic know that hogging a table in the buffet is bad form. You're preaching to the choir here... now if there was a way to get your message to the unwashed masses... :rolleyes:

Paid for what , runner15k? The opportunity to be rude? Im glad I don't see Princess as one of your cruises.

Op is referring to another thread in which I stated I would be willing to pay $10 to reserve a chair pool side. But of course if I had a reserved chair pool side I would not sit in the buffet for a few hours.

I believe that the tables in the immediate buffet area are for eating..but the ones around or near the pool are for eating or just relaxing...suppose you want to be out by the pool but at a table instead of a loungs chair?

Good luck on that one, I paid my fare and if I choose to sit at a table for a few hours oh well keep looking.

The clueless and the classless... how about some common courtesy?

Luckily, I think most cruisers wouldn't just sit and play cards at a large table right next to the buffet while people are roaming around holding their trays. quote]

You weren't on our cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale years ago during the month of December when it was nearly ALL retirees on board who took

up the tables on Lido near the pools, both pools, and played cards all day long. Yes, it happens.;)

If I make the effort to get up extra early to get my breakfast and

someone else sleeps in later and then decides he or she should be able

to march into the buffet and then strong-arm me out of my table, that is a personal problem.

Get up earlier if it means so much to you to have a table.

When DH and I haven't been able to find a table, we take the food back

to our room or ask someone if we can share their table. We would never

think to ask someone to vacate their table for us.:rolleyes:

I don't think it's very "courteous" of the OP to expect people to give

up their tables. Does the OP think I should give up my chair by the

pool, too, because I made the effort to go up there at 9:30 a.m.

and reserve my chair, which by the way, I am actually sitting in from

9:30 on?

Give me a break.

I am anticipating that this will be a huge problem on our upcoming Alaska Cruise especially on Glacier Bay day

Probably about the same as it was on Panama Canal day - despite the "request" in the Patter to allow diners to use HC tables.

Chris

So after breakfast sometimes I enjoy a 2nd or 3rd cup of coffee reading my book. Is this wrong? Should I go back to my cabin?

According to many on this thread, I guess you should. LOL

If there are a lot of people looking for a table, I think you should vacate it. Maybe go down to International Cafe and do it there or get a table outside.

And if there are a lot of people looking for loungers, should I have to

vacate my lounger too? I mean, really, if someone asked me to share

my table the answer is OF COURSE, but vacate? Huh? There are so many

places you can bring your plate of food. As I already stated, if there's

no place to sit I bring my platter back to my room.

Here's a thought -- if you walk into the Horizon court and see that's it's

extra busy or crowded, why not depart and go to the dining room instead?

And BTW, some ships don't yet have the International Cafe, so I can't

"do it there" per your post.

Sadly, this has been a really problem on most cruises we have been on with the exception of the Azamara Journey.

We usually try to get a table for two. If we are at a table for four and we see individuals looking for a seat; we ask them to

join us.

Archived