Tips on getting good airfare?

khank

DH & I would love to do a Med cruise next year, probably late May 2012. We're looking at the Serenade Med/Greek Isles 12 night itinerary. Although airfare is not yet available for this time frame, I've been checking prices for the latest time currently available (Feb - Mar 2012) to get an idea of what the costs may be when May is available, figuring that air would generally be cheaper the earlier booked. As of right now, tickets are running over $900/pp including all the taxes and fees! Any hints/tips for getting good prices on airfare would be greatly appreciated!

Karen

DH & I would love to do a Med cruise next year, probably late May 2012. We're looking at the Serenade Med/Greek Isles 12 night itinerary. Although airfare is not yet available for this time frame, I've been checking prices for the latest time currently available (Feb - Mar 2012) to get an idea of what the costs may be when May is available, figuring that air would generally be cheaper the earlier booked. As of right now, tickets are running over $900/pp including all the taxes and fees! Any hints/tips for getting good prices on airfare would be greatly appreciated!

Karen

900 is a great price, air is out of sight this year. Most of what I am seeing for Europe is 1300+. Summer is always more expensive so your plan for May is better. Many agents can get bulk airfare which when available is much better then the published prices.

I agree, $900 is a great price. This year we are paying $1300 pp. because we booked relatively late and are flying in July. Last year we booke earlier and traveled in June and paid $1100.

If I knew I was definitely taking that cruise, I would book the $900 flight.

But, if you're not 100% sure, I would wait or purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance (which you should do anyway).

Tuesdays are usually the best day to check prices, that is the day that airlines will often offer sales. Dont ever check on Weekends because that is when prices are usually the highest.

Also, if you fly during the week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) they will usually be the lowest priced flights

Look into airline credit cards. Some of the initial offers are pretty amazing. British Airways has a good one going, and you can combie miles into a family account. If you get one fare free or near-free, that cuts down on the total.

I did this with Spirit Airlines going into SJU. My fare, including upgraded seat, taxes, and luggage fees was $60 one way FLL-SJU.

Where is the best place to purchase this "cancel for any reason" insurance?

Check out insuremytrip.com; you can compare many policies and find the one that's best for you.

Most travel insurance policies have this feature, with the requirement that you purchase the insurance within a short time frame of depositing your cruise. The time frame is often 14 days, but it varies from company/policy to company/policy.

Some policies offer it if you buy the insurance later, but then there is a HUGE surcharge.

Not sure where you live, but I agree, I would have LOVEd to see $900 airfare. I started tracking air last summer for a June 2011 cruise out of italy. I kept thinking they had to come down. We live in the Seattle area and airfare to Rome has been hovering between $1600 and $2000 for EACH of us for months.... I checked every combination possible. One thing you can look at is flying into a more frequent hub like Paris or London and then taking a European flight to your final destination. Also depending on where you live, check nearby hubs. We ended up saving about $300 each and getting better connections to fly in and out of Vancouver Canada. For whatever reason flights from Canada were cheaper.

DH & I would love to do a Med cruise next year, probably late May 2012............ Any hints/tips for getting good prices on airfare would be greatly appreciated!

1. Look at flights with connections. Yes, there is a value to having a non-stop flight but that value often comes with a price.

2. Consider leaving from an airport other than your home airport. Even if it means a hotel night pre-flight, it could save money if the flight is cheaper.

3. Consider staying a day or two post-cruise. The airlines know what days cruise ships disembark in various cities in Europe (or anywhere) and often price accordingly (i.e. higher due to the higher demand) Waiting an extra day may save $.

4. Consider flying in and out of an airport that is not in the port city, and take the train to/from the port. See #3 for the logic behind that.

5. Don't just price US-based carriers, i.e. Delta/American/USAir/ etc. Consider European carriers, i.e. Air France, Alitalia, Iberia, Aer Lingus, etc.

Thanks to everyone for the help! I didn't realize that prices had increased so much. About a year ago, I had looked at roundtrip prices to Barcelona and they were much less.

But surely you've noticed the increase in prices at your local gas pump, right?

;)

Our TA advised me when looking for Air fare and the dates are not open yet, to be sure and look at the Month your traveling, say Oct, even if a year out and especially the day. If you fly out on a Friday then put in Friday. I noticed that if I put in for the month and day we would be traveling vs the closest month, the prices would be differant. He got our tickets one way to Barcelona from Palm Springs, Ca, 2 stops for $1228.20 total for husband & I.

Our TA advised me when looking for Air fare and the dates are not open yet, to be sure and look at the Month your traveling, say Oct, even if a year out and especially the day. If you fly out on a Friday then put in Friday. I noticed that if I put in for the month and day we would be traveling vs the closest month, the prices would be differant. He got our tickets one way to Barcelona from Palm Springs, Ca, 2 stops for $1228.20 total for husband & I.

So, for example, air from Miami to Rome is 540 pp in November 2011 (on a Sat). Are you saying that Nov 2012 should be a similar price? I want to make sure I am understanding you because this is what is holding me up from booking a TA out of Rome. I am scared about the unknown of the airfare.

Now how can you expect any poster here to predict was 2012 will bring when the airlines themselves probably don't know as this point. That is traditionally low season but there can be so many variables that can happen between now and then, that NO ONE can predict what the price will be.

I am not expecting predictions that I am holding people to, but am more interested in finding out about past trends that people have experienced in regards to booking during certain seasons. I understand that no one knows if airfare will double in price tomorrow. I was trying to understand the trend that the poster was referring to.

I am not expecting predictions that I am holding people to, but am more interested in finding out about past trends that people have experienced in regards to booking during certain seasons. I understand that no one knows if airfare will double in price tomorrow. I was trying to understand the trend that the poster was referring to.

While no one, especially now in this volatile market, can accurately predict prices over a year out, pricing in general is usually broadly seasonal, spiking in high season (different for various regions) and holidays. Thus, if I were planning to travel to Europe in July 2012, it would be far more accurate to look at July 2011 prices than March 2012 prices, as summer prices are traditionally much higher than spring ones to Europe.

Thanks.

I can find November rates for around $500 through Air Berlin, so I am taking that to mean this is an off season time. Hopefully that ends up meaning cheaper rates in the future during this time period

Archived