Inexpensive/free activities for St. Maarten?

My honey and I are honeymooning on the Sun Princess in October, and stopping in St. Maarten. In exchange for upgrading to a 10-day cruise, I promised to find us inexpensive or free things to do while in port.

We're active 30-somethings and would love to find things to do off the beaten path; something other than your typical bus tour. We're fond of hiking, beaching, snorkeling, kayaking, and my hubby-to-be is an avid fly fisherman and *may* bring a rod with him if there's a good place to use it.

Any ideas for things to do that won't cost more than $25 or so? Thanks!!

Jen

Carnival Glory 12/6/03

Sun Princess 10/13/04

Forget the fishing, at least fly fishing. It doesn't exist on St Martin.

If you're interested in hiking, try searching or contacting Loterie Farm. You can hile their grounds and they offer guided hikes which include Pic Paradise. Sorry I can't offer much more specifics.

Here are some pics.

Loterie Farm Pics

The only contacts I have are a phone number: 590 590 878 616 and an email: loteriefarm@powerantilles.com.

I know some ships offer this as an excursion, but you can also do it on your own.

I second Orient beach, great way to spend the day without spending alot of money.

Also, we love spending the day just walking around Phillipsburg. You can take the water taxi over for $5 and beers are $.50 to $1.00 everywhere. (the .50 ones are usually off the beaten path, people will be holding signs pointing down the allies.) The shopping is good, but its fun to just look around. This is how we usually kill the last couple hours of the day.

Mark

10/10/04 Adenture of the Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

• 3 weeks later...

"Butterfly Farm"

This excursion is highly recommended by the ships, but you can easily do it on your own. I wish we had included it during our day! (We went out on our own...but, only to the beach) Many of the people that we met during our week DID tour the Farm, and the next time we visit St. Maarten...we will definately go there.

We also want to go to Maho Beach and watch the planes for awhile.

How exactly did you get to the Butterfly Farm? We've been to St. Martin several times and haven't ever visited. We usually get a taxi to Marigot and then come back to the beach by the pier and relax under an umbrella for a while. (By the way, we've asked for Dwight every time and he takes good care of us. He's the one who rents out the wave runners. We get two chairs and an umbrella for $10. This time our son was with us and he let us have three chairs for the $10)

Thanks, Pam

We rented are car in St Maarten & loved touring the entire island on our own. We stopped by Orient Beach, stopped in a little village on the North side of the island & had the most delicious soup while sitting & watching the boats. It was a tranquil & beautiful day & because the island is so small you can get around the entire island, no problem.

There's a comment above about Pedro's for lunch @ $10/pp. We're sad to say that last September, when we stayed on the island, a ribs platter was about $7.

We were on the island for a day on a cruise last March, and the same menu item was $13.

I'm not certain that they offer different menus/prices, for heavy cruise days, but I suspect that they do.

If you're looking for great ribs, and you have a car, I suggest that you find Lido's, in Cole Bay (ask around) for a great double combination plate for $8.

See Lido's Ribs and scroll down a little.

• 3 weeks later...

Midtown girl,

Thanks for posting these great questions. Some of the islands you're going to are ones hubby and I are thinking of also and we're always looking for inexpensive things to do especially near the ship or can take the local bus to.

midtown_girl;

We've just booked to be on-island for at least the three weeks, October 2nd through October 23rd.

We have friends joining us the week of October 9th, but if we're free the day you visit we might be able to show you OUR island, which we've been visiting since 1981.

Let us know if you have any interest in this, at all.

p.s. FORGET the fly fishing!

p.s. again: just noticed that you're in Harrisburg. We just drove through there in June after visiting Gettysburg, heading to Robesonia. I would have waved if I had known!

My hubby & I just returned from our honeymoon last Sunday and St. Maarten was one of our favorite stops. We took the water taxi across the bay ($5 ride, or about a 15 minute walk for free) to the Phillipsburg "boardwalk" area.

Each restaurant "controls" a section of beach and beach chairs - the further away from the ship we walked, the better the deals got. We ended up getting 2 chairs and and a beach umbrella for free, as long as we purchased a drink. No problem!

We sat, read, slept, swam, talked, rented a jet-ski ($35 for 30 min.), and then ordered lunch, which was delivered to our beach chairs.

And I HIGHLY recommend the Guavaberry Coladas. YUM.

roboref...

The Butterfly farm is on the way to Orient Beach from Phillipsburg. We actually found it by mistake. We saw the sign on our way to Orient Beach so we stopped.

For free entertainment I recommend some time at Maho beach. It will cost you nothing to be sand blasted by a 747 taking off and there are not many other placing where you can experience such an event!

If you want an inexpensive way to see the island, try taking the local bus to Marigot. You pick it up on Back St behing the courthouse. Cost is $1.50 each way (you pay when you get off). A lot cheaper than taxi and you get to enjoy some of the local flavor. In Marigot there is a flea market and small spice market. If you are energetic, climb up to the top of the hill overlooking town. There is a ruined fort at the top with a great view of the island. Just make sure you take your camera and a water bottle.

Bethkel....

How do you get to the "boardwalk" area

You can walk from the pier down the main streets or you can get the water taxi for $5 all day. The beach is pretty nice right there and very convenient.

midtown_girl;

We've just booked to be on-island for at least the three weeks, October 2nd through October 23rd.

We have friends joining us the week of October 9th, but if we're free the day you visit we might be able to show you OUR island, which we've been visiting since 1981.

Let us know if you have any interest in this, at all.

p.s. FORGET the fly fishing!

p.s. again: just noticed that you're in Harrisburg. We just drove through there in June after visiting Gettysburg, heading to Robesonia. I would have waved if I had known!

That's great! I'll have to see what date we're there.

Archived