So This is What a Dream Tastes Like

jenseib

I plan to do a trip report about our Dream experience, but untill I get time for that and the pictures edited, I have started a Dining review.

I was lucky enough to set Sail on the Disney Dream on March 31 and then spend a few days at Disney and Sea World. This trip was like no other I have taken. I always look forward to food on my vacations….after all I am NOT cooking. For the most part, the food did NOT disappoint.

The trip was originally supposed to include Me~Jen,

edit22.jpg

DD~Claire,

edit20.jpg

and DH~Skip.

skip.jpg

Sadly 2 weeks before we were to leave, Skip made the decision not to come. His brother had broken his leg and they run a Dairy Farm together. One of them needed to be there at all times and with his brother laid up, Skip needed to stay home.

So a change of cast was made.

My mom took Skips place on the cruise.

edit21.jpg

My dear Dad wanted to come along too, but the ship was at capacity. So he flew down with us, and then spent a few days at his sisters while we cruised, and then joined up with us for the later portion of the trip. He is making one of his “faces” for this picture. He does that for most pictures. :rolleyes:

papameanface.jpg

These dining thoughts are mine, and may not be the same opinions as others. I am not a big food snob in any way. I usually figure if I’m not cooking, it can’t be all that bad. Of course, if I have to pay a hefty price tag for it, then I might grumble a bit more.

In years past, we have done the dining plan at Disney, but this trip we did not, so it was also a new experience at paying out of pocket for everything there as well.

On to the food!!!

We flew down to Sanford on March 30th. We arrived at the airport around 10:45 and got checked in at 11. Once through security we were all hungry. Claire and I went to the little food station and I got her a personal pizza (which I believe was a Marcos brand) and I got a foot long tuna sandwich from subway to share with my mom. Dad also got some sort of subway sandwich.. I ended up losing a SD card from my point and shoot camera and it has pictures from the first several days. I used 3 cameras through out the trip though, so I have most everything on the other cards.

Claire eating her pizza and Doritos.

doritos.jpg

Here is dad being silly opening his subway bag.

subwayfood.jpg

This food was basic and decent. Except Claire’s pizza….. She basically ate the pepperoni off and ate 1 piece. I ate a piece as well, and it was pretty comparable to cardboard. We ended up throwing about half of it away.

Our flight had been delayed so we didn’t get into Sanford till much later than planned. We quickly got our luggage and rental van and headed over to the Residence Inn near the Port. Everyone was starving, so I went in quickly and checked us in and then asked for a place to eat near by. They suggested Fish Lips.

We were seated right away and ordered.

fishlips.jpg

It was a nice place, right on the water. We could see a Carnival ship in port across the way. Claire and I went outside to take a look. It was warm out, but very windy.

fishlipsoutside.jpg

Claire and I made a trip out to the van for my phone and when we came back the food had arrived. I didn’t get pictures of much. Mom and I had the fish and chips with slaw. Mom loved it. I found it to be a bit too greasy about half way through. Mom traded her slaw to dad and took his asparagus. Dad got a steak. (I can’t remember which one). He said it was very good.

Claire got fries and a hotdog.

fishlipshotdog.jpg

fishlipsfish.jpg

The desserts we saw pass by looked amazing, but we were too full to try any…. Even to share. The prices were reasonable, but not cheap. We did get 10% for staying at Residence Inn. It was a decent meal, but a little to greasy for my taste. I would go back, but try something different next time.

March 31st…Thursday

I don’t sleep much on vacation, so I was up very early. The Residence Inn serves a breakfast for free to guests. It was actually very good, with lots of selections. I went down very early and got breakfast number 1. I didn’t take pictures that time around. I had a chocolate muffin, OJ, sausage patty, eggs and potatoes. They also had cereals, other muffins, make your own waffles, yogurts, bagels, toast and fruits and a few other things.

Once the rest of the gang got up and ready, we headed down for breakfast again.

I just picked up a few more things to eat then as it had been a few hours since I first ate.

Claire went with an apple and sausage.

appleandsasage.jpg

Dads’ plate

IMG_6567.jpg

I can’t remember what I had the second time around, but I think it was sausage and potatoes. I also don’t remember what mom had. But we all were happy with a little breakfast in our bellies to start out the day.

Dad did go up for 2nds.

2ndtrip.jpg

buffetbreakfast.jpg

After breakfast we finished packing up and loaded the car and headed over to the port where dad dropped us off. He was on his way to Kennedy Space Center for the day, then to his sisters for the next 3 nights.

Once we boarded the ship we headed up to Cabanas for lunch.

cabanassign.jpg

Wow! This buffet had so many options. We were seated with out much of a wait.

tabletop.jpg

We were right by a window and had a rainy view of the Carnival ship.

drearycarnival.jpg

I ran up and got Claire’s food and then came back to get mine….then mom took her turn. There was so much to choose from. I needed to bring an extra stomach.

Claire and I got some of the chocolate chip cookies I have heard so much about….these were awesome. I could go for about 6 of them right now!

Claire had fries, a roll, chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, chicken noodle soup and of course the cookie. I think the cookie is the only thing she completely finished!

cabanas1.jpg

mickeynoodlesoup.jpg

Mom and I just filled our plates with whatever looked good. There was so much to chose from, it was impossible to try it all.

foodgloriousfood.jpg

Claire got Cheesecake for dessert and I got chocolate mousse and a few more cookies! Mom got some hard dip ice cream that she said was to die for. It was pineapple coconut. I don’t like coconut, so I didn’t give it a try and was to full too go up and try any other flavors.

cheesecakeandmousse.jpg

I took several different pictures of Cabanas through the cruise and will be sure to post them in my Trip report.

The food was excellent. Much better than I had expected! I heard from many people that Disney cruise line food wasn’t all that great. I think it was much better than the park food. I was pleasantly surprised with this first meal and couldn’t wait to try a few more.

this is the best review EVER! What a great pictoral review of all the food, my kind of review! Great photography as well.

thanks. I have a thing about taking a lot of pictures. Though I forget to take some of the food at times because I am just too hungry! :D

Dinner for the evening was at Enchanted Garden.

enchantedgarden.jpg

enchantedgate.jpg

It was a very nice place.

enchantedveiw.jpg

I was excited to see we got put in one of the round booths.

roundtable.jpg

I have no idea why I took this picture like this…I’m gonna pretend I was going for something artsy! Sounds good…right?

artsymickeyfountain.jpg

As I was trying to take pictures of the fountain a waiter stopped and posed. I laughed, but didn’t take the picture. I wish I would have. He was our assistant waiter, Srdjan…(pronounce Serd-jan). He was very nice and funny. He immediately directed his attention to Claire and called her Princess. And she was in love with him instantaneously! He took our drink orders, Sprite for Claire, diet with no ice for me and mom had wine. I had not known this before, but you can get your first drink complimentary at dinner. At least some of them are. I know mom never paid for a glass of wine at dinner. I had a specialty drink two nights and never was charged either.

This restaurant was so pretty. I loved the light fixtures. I guess they bloom through out the day.

bloomedlight.jpg

We were given our rolls right away. There were two different kinds, Multi-Grain Loaf and Country Currant Bread with Chickpea-garlic puree.

The country current wasn’t our favorite, but still OK. Claire loved the Mulit-grain bread.

enchantedrolls.jpg

We met Brent our server. He was wonderful as well. We made our order and told him that Claire would like to do the “dine and play.”

Claire colored her menu while we waited for our food.

colringenchanted.jpg

morecoloringenchanted.jpg

Soon our appetizers arrived, and Claire’s meal.

Mom and I both got the North Atlantic Lobster Ravioli - with roasted garlic and sweet basil in a light tomato broth. This was heavenly good. I should’ve ordered two!

lobsterravioli.jpg

Claire got the Tropical Fruit Cup - with an orange strawberry drizzle for an appetizer, but it came with her meal since she was doing the dine and play.

She also got Golden Chicken Strips - with French fries.

Srdjan asked if she want ketchup and she replied no. She doesn’t eat ketchup usually. But he still made a surprise for her anyways and she did like that.

enchantedmealclaire.jpg

Mom got the Pan-seared Sea Bass - with Saffron and fennel risotto with a sweet chili glaze. She said it was excellent.

seabass.jpg

I got two entrees. I wanted both, and since it was unlimited food…why not?

First was the Caramelized Sea Scallops - with roasted asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and pearl pasta, garnished with caramelized leeks and veal jus reduction.

scallops.jpg

This was good. The scallops tasted great, but I wish I had a little more of the sauce with it. Whatever sauce was on the plate was good. The asparagus was good too. BUT those round balls…..I assume are the pearl pasta…..YUCK! I have no clue what they really are, but they were nasty. I took two bites and that was it for them.

I also ordered the Grilled NY Strip Steak - thyme roasted vegetables, double baked potato topped with handmade herb butter.

nysteak.jpg

This steak was very good. I enjoyed the potatoes and the veggies as well.

In fact the steak was so good, that as it was set in front of me, Claire declared she wanted steak. So I cut some up for her…then mom decided it looked good too, so she had some as well. We all really enjoyed the steak. Claire even had a second helping. Lets just say, I didn’t get a whole lot of my steak, but what I had was great. And that left room for dessert then!

While we were still eating, they brought out Claire’s dessert…a Mickey bar.

mickeybar.jpg

mickeybar1.jpg

Claire basically ate part of the ears off, and then mom and I attacked it.

It was time for Claire to go to the kids club, so I took her over to the front and got her signed in. By the time I got back, mom had only left a little bit of Mickey bar for me.

Our desserts had arrived as well. We both got Sweet Temptations - a trio of Esterhazy Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Chocolate Silk Mousse. Yum Yum Yum. I have no idea what Esterhazy is, but it was good. I could’ve ate two plates of this trio…well… I was full , so technically I couldn’t.

sweettemptaions.jpg

I found the food here to be great. I had heard this was a lot of people’s least favorite place, but I found everything good. Portions are small, so if you are big eater, you will definitely want to get more than one entrée and/or a few appetizers as well. If Skip had been with me, he would not have been filled up as easily as my mom and I. The nice thing about small portions is that I didn’t feel guilty getting more than one entrée.

The place was also very pretty. I wish I had taken more pictures. I do have more than what I posted though, and will post them in my TR.

Here is a copy of the kids menu. I didn't take any pictures of the adult menus.

enchantedgardenkidsmenu.jpg

I have to add that our servers were just over the top Excellent. I had heard of so many new servers onboard and things going slow or getting messed up. Our two were just fabulous and things came very fast. We were out of dinner within an hour I believe. Mom asked how much I had paid for tips and I told her what the suggested was and we had prepaid. She decided right then and there that she was going to give each extra on our last night. They were just amazing.

Ivo was the head server of the area and he did come over each night to check on us as well and was very friendly.

Great review so far! I can't wait to read more!!! Beautiful pictures too! I'm sure I'll be reading your review several more times before our Dream cruise next summer! :D

Cheryl

Thanks. I'll being doing a full report as well, and I have lots of pictures.But never enough!

Thanks for this great food review & the pictures! Glad you had such a great trip:)

It was so much fun. IO can't wait to go again.

Did you get to order the Grilled Salmon from the kid's menu? I am curious how good it is. My son loves salmon!

No, we aren't slamon eaters, so no one ever ordered it.

April 1st ~ Friday

The next meal we had was breakfast. I did not take a picture of it. We were in a hurry to get ready for our port adventure and I just grabbed some sausage links , Krispy Crème chocolate covered donuts and hash browns (kind of like McDonalds, which I love btw) and juice/milk from Cabanas and brought it to the room. Mom went off for breakfast on her own after we left, and she doesn’t take pictures at all. She didn’t even bring a camera.

The breakfast was good. I ate my donut and Claire licked the chocolate off hers, and then I finished that one off too!

We ate lunch after we got back from Nassau. Cabanas had closed down most of the food by then. Just a few stations of simple stuff open.

We got Claire a hot dog, a chicken strip and of course a chocolate chip cookie from there. I also had a few cookies…they were calling my name,….. I couldn’t help it.

hotdogcookie.jpg

Mom sat with Claire in Cabanas while I ventured further down the ship towards Fillmore’s Favorites and Luigi’s Pizza. I got mom and I each a piece of mozzarella and tomato pizza and a mozzarella and tomato sandwich. Also a couple of wraps, which we ate immediately. Those were fantastic. The pizza wasn’t bad, but not fabulous, but better than I expected…again hearing that the pizza onboard was awful. The sandwiches were really good.

Between the first show and 2nd seating dinner (which we had) there was the Mickey’s Pirates of the Caribbean party. They had servers out with drinks.

drinktray.jpg

I’m not a huge drinker. I usually drink bud light at home. I will occasionally have something different, but I’m not adventurous. These drinks looked really appealing though. The ones that had blue on the top looked really good and the lady told me there were called Yellow Bird. She said it was fruity and no coconut. So I decide what the heck and got one. It was really good too. I think it was kind of an orange and pineapple flavor, if I remember right.

drinks.jpg

They came in a light up souvenir glass. Claire has used this glass daily at home. It was around $9 for this drink. Most drinks I had or seen were at least this price. But at least we got a cute glass to come home with us.

Dinner was at the Royal Palace tonight.

royalpalcacesign.jpg

royalpalaceentrance.jpg

dcl.jpg

royalpalaceentryfloor.jpg

We had found if you wait to go to dinner about 10-15 minutes after your scheduled time you had little to no wait to be seated. About 10 minutes prior to dinner there were huge line ups and continued on for a good 7-10 minutes after they opened.

We were table 74 and so far at both restaurants we were seated very close to the main door. It didn’t bother us at all though.

royalpalacedinner.jpg

Thanks for your excellent review! Your daughter is precious!

We will be taking our granddaughter (8) on the Dream in June.

Just wondering, did you have your own table, and if so, did you request it or did it just happen that way? We have requested a table for 4 (although there are only 3 of us--that's what they told us to request when we made our reservation). Hopefully they will be able to accommodate our request :confused:

Also, do you mind me asking how old your daughter is? And what did she think about the kids club? I showed my granddaughter your pics last night, and now she talks about Claire like she knows her :)

Thanks for your excellent review! Your daughter is precious!

We will be taking our granddaughter (8) on the Dream in June.

Just wondering, did you have your own table, and if so, did you request it or did it just happen that way? We have requested a table for 4 (although there are only 3 of us--that's what they told us to request when we made our reservation). Hopefully they will be able to accommodate our request :confused:

Also, do you mind me asking how old your daughter is? And what did she think about the kids club? I showed my granddaughter your pics last night, and now she talks about Claire like she knows her :)

We did request prior for a 4 top as well. I was happy to see we had that request. It appeared that there was a lot of tables for 4 in each restaurant. We don't really like eating with strangers ourselves. I know some people like to eat with new people on cruises, but it really isn't for us.

Claire is 6. She only went to the kids clubs once, which shocked me, since she talked about them a lot prior to going. She said it was fun and the coloring page she did there was a prized possession for the rest of the trip. We figured out soon though, that Claire was afraid she was missing out on what we did while she was there. We had shopped the first night without her and I think that was our mistake. I think if we go again though, she will go to the clubs a little more now that she has seen a lot of the ship already.

This place was also beautiful and amazing. The light fixture had glass slippers hanging off of it.

glassslippperlight.jpg

The bread basket was a little coach. So cute!

coachbreadbasket.jpg

The bread tonight was warm herb brioche with an Olive Spread and it was good! I love bread! Claire does too. We all ate a couple of pieces of this one and then I worried I would make myself full too fast.

coachbread.jpg

Our drink orders were placed. Again, Mom got wine, Claire got a smoothie or something in a collectors cup with a light up Tinkerbelle. I ordered the usual diet with no ice for myself. When Srdjan came with the drinks he said something about a problem with my diet and said he would be back. I didn’t quite catch exactly what he said. He did have an accent and was also rushing. When he came back he gave me a few choices of drinks. I had noticed some fruity looking drinks going by on a tray he had earlier and he told me what they were. One was a non-alcoholic drink that looked and sounded good. It was a Princess Delight - Passion Fruit Juice, Mango Puree. It did NOT disappoint. It was very good, and I have to remember this drink for future trips.

A quick shot at the menu.

royalpalacemenu.jpg

We made our dinner orders and Claire made the decision that she would not be going to the kids club after she ate tonight. We quickly caught on that she thought she would miss out on something we did without her. I had been talking about a sale on Dooneys. I had read it in the navigator and mom said she was going to go buy a wristlet for one of her employees who loves Disney. I think Claire did not want to miss out on another night at the shops.

A photographer also came over and took pictures of us. They did this on the first evening as well, and I used those pictures in our introduction.

edit64.jpg

edit66.jpg

While we waited for appetizers we played with Claire’s glowing Tink.

smoothietink.jpg

crazytink.jpg

There were several items I wanted off this menu tonight….and I ordered them ALL!

Our appetizers arrived, along with Claire’s meal.

Claire had the Beef Tenderloin Medallion - topped with large shrimp and fries. We didn’t get her an appetizer this night, as nothing appealed to her.

clairesroyalmeal.jpg

Her steak was excellent. She didn’t like her shrimp. She’s more of a deep fried shrimp girl. I ate that, and it was kind of dry…needed a sauce, but otherwise OK. Fries were good and I think I had to make her take a bite of veggies. Not that they were bad, she just doesn’t really care for many veggies. Her favorite are lima beans! I know that’s weird, but that’s my favorite too. I get the frozen kind and cook them several times a week.

My first appetizer was Escargots Gratines - herb-marinated snails with finely chopped mushrooms, topped with garlic butter and breadstick. If you never had escargot, I highly recommend trying it on a cruise. After all if you don’t like it, then you don’t feel so bad to not eat it. I have had it a few times and really enjoy it. This was good in my opinion. The bread stick was more flakey and not really bread like. Hard to describe, but kind of had the texture of a rice cake. I only had a few bites, dipped in the butter. Not that great in my opinion.

escargot.jpg

My mom and I both got Iced Lobster and Jumbo Shrimp - white and green asparagus, micro greens, and lemon-dill dressing with horseradish cream. Again, very good.

lobstershrimp.jpg

I did like the horseradish crème and wished there was a bit more. I like my seafood sauced up.

Mom and I also both got the Belle's French Onion Soup with gruyere cheese crouton. I found it to be pretty good. Mom did too, but she said it gave her a stomach later from the onions.

I had already started stirring it around when I remembered to take a picture.

onionsoup.jpg

Mean while, Claire would smile whenever Srdjan would come over. She thought he was so wonderful and of course he kept calling her Princess. She had talked about it all day. It’s little things like this that make for a special trip for some of us.

After the feast of appetizers, Claire did officially decide she was not going to leave for the kids clubs and we told her she would have to be good then while we ate.

Our food and Claire’s dessert arrived promptly and we began to dig in!

Claire decided on the Banana Split - vanilla ice cream and raspberry drizzle. She really loved that it had a chocolate Mickey head on it and did what any of us would do….bit an ear off!

mickeyheadrp.jpg

bananasplit.jpg

Mom and I again, ordered the same thing for dinner, Royal Palace Aged Angus Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Lobster Medallions - sauteed snow peas and marquis potatoes with a cognac reduction.

beeftenderloin.jpg

This too was very good. We really enjoyed the steaks onboard. If you are steak eater, I highly recommend them.

Archived