does the shoe rack really helps?

Pooh&OurHunny

I have used it before and just leave it behind when I leave. I just bought one at a dollar store. It is about as heavy as a gallon size ziploc. It has 6 pockets and is shinny enough to put two side by side on the door. If it took up space in suitcase I would not bring it. I think I could fold this one up to put in my back pocket. LOL I love not having others in my cabin ask "Where is?" I love the idea about putting ones in it for room service. If you can get one for a dollar then do it!

I used them at home for things other than shoes, so of course we take them on a cruise!. I have smaller mesh ones for cruises - one for the bathroom & the other for the cabin. We travel with our DS, so between his electronics, all the sunglasses, sunscreen, chargers, etc they are handy little things.

At home, I have one in the pantry for snacks - so DS isn't digging through anything and it makes it easy for me to see what to add to the grocery list. I have another in the laundry room with cleaning supplies in it. One in the guest room closet has everything I need for gift wrapping except paper.

I will be traveling with my two teenage grandchildren and plan on taking the over the door shoe rack to put things like band aids, safety pins, emery boards, $1 for tipping room service etc.etc. This will keep me from looking for things for everyone. They will be able to see what we have.

We have 2 that go with us on each trip. One is clear plastic with 10 pockets. It folds up to fit into a gallon-size ziploc. We hang it on the outside of the closet door to keep misc stuff in. We also have a 6-pocket one that we hang on the inside of the bathroom door. This one we use for shampoo, cream rinse, hair stuff, etc that we use only in the bathroom. Both of these are from the DollarTree. Also from the DollarTree, we take 2 of those foldable (collapsible) cardboard tray-things. A small one for my husband to use on his nightstand to throw in his key-card/lanyard, any pocket contents, and his watch when he goes to bed. That way, all are readily available in the morning. I use a slightly bigger one on the vanity to keep some of my "hair tools", daily newsletters, and misc stuff- keeps some of the usual "junk" coralled.

We just got back from our Hawaii cruise on the Golden Princess.

I put the plastic shoe holder thingy on the bathroom door, and we loved it! I could go to the bathroom, brush my teeth, and fix my hair at the same time!! :D

Had a hard time finding a clear plastic "over the door shoe holder." Seems they are all canvas now, and expensive. I finally found one at Lowe's - still cost $9, had to insert a wooden dowl and some twine in the top, and cut off two levels.

Our toiletries were handy, off the countertop, and easy to see.

We will always take it.

Romy

do not go on the cruise without an over the door shoe holder. it carries the lotions, sun block, cosmetics, shammpoos etc, cameras, medications, tissues, ship receipthair adcs, ship cards, id's, curling irons,hair items, jewelry,cell phones,etc. where would you put these items without creating clutter??????

Lotions, sunblock, cosmetics, shampoos, hair items, medications - in my make-up bag

Jewelry, cellphones, ids - locked in the safe

camera, ship card - in my purse

No clutter.

I'm going on my first cruise next year. I am in a small single outside cabin. I hate clutter so I think if I can find one that's not too big, maybe 8 pockets, then I will definitely take one. I like to know where all my little bits n bobs are.

If anyone in the UK have any tips on finding a cheap one let me know.:D

We have taken ours on each of our cruises, but the past few times it was jut DW and I we never got it out. When we've taken DD, we hang it up and every pocket has something in it. You can put anything small in them, like:

DD's & DW's shoes (imagine that... putting shoes in it! :D)

Sunscreen

Lotion

Hairbrushes

books

makeup kits

curling iron

cameras

paperwork (S&S statement, Capers, etc)

toys

baby doll accessories

the list is endless....

You can see why we need it with DD, but like I said DW and I don't really need it when it's just us. That said, we usually stay in balcony or higher category rooms. As a general rule, the bigger the room, the more storage you get. The one time DW and I used it when it was just us, was when we stayed in an inside room with no storage under the desk.

They roll up very small, so there's really no harm in taking them.

• 1 month later...
Bringing the shoe rack really helps? If so what do you put in them?

Thanks for any help

I was glad I didn't bother with a shoe hanger. There was plenty of space for my cosmetics, flat iron, jewelry, etc., etc., etc., and I brought a TON of stuff. The hanger would have annoyed me, bulking up the door area and just generally getting in the way.

I think it depends on the category cabin you're in and how many people in the cabin. 1st cruise was DH and I in an Oceanview, which I would guess is a standard size. The shoe thingy might have been useful for all my girly stuff, but wasn't *needed*.

2nd cruise was DH and I in a suite that had 2 sinks in the bathroom with about 1.5 ft counter in between and cabinets in both corners going up 2 or 3 feet, a whole separate vanity area with 3 or 4 feet of counter and 3 drawers. It also had a shower stall and a separate jacuzzi tub/shower combo so plenty more space on shelves and tub edges to keep my bathing stuff. We would not have used it.

Next cruise is 4 adults in a standard size balcony. I have a hunch it will be a good idea to take one for that trip.

We bought one and took it along on a cruise once. Realized that it was not necessary and it only took up valuable packing space in the suitcase, so we never brought it again.

Also, it looked ugly hanging there on the door.

Much prefer using clear plastic bags to organize all those odds and ends. It is very easy to find places to store them in drawers or on shelves -- no clutter.

We usually do interior/exterior...

I have always found PLENTY of storage in bathrooms/drawers in rooms. I bring a number of extra "just in case" items, but as I said, LOTS of storage

As others have said, it's not really necessary. Little organizational tools can help if there are several people in the cabin, but as you will have the whole place to yourself you shouldn't need this.

There are all kinds of things people say you should take "just in case", but we've never needed any of them. Pack as you would for a beach vacation at a hotel. You can buy all of the real necessities on the ship if you forget something (but they are expensive). You will have a perfectly good vacation without big plastic mugs, kettles, sticky notes, iPod speakers, etc., etc.

Enjoy your first cruise!

We are going on our first cruise next month and I am taking one for my "sanity". My son and hubby are always Wheres this or that? and it drives me mad. Also if they leave anything laying around that is where it will be.

I plan to hang it in the wardrobe and I think it will hold sunnies, medications, sunscreen, maybe knickers and jocks for easy access, chargers, sons dental plates, tip money, charge slips, and anything else that decides to clutter up the counter tops. It probably will hold all our thongs as well.

I had a hard time finding one is South Australia. They are now all material and between $20 to $30 and not clear pockets but eventually found one. While searching on the net I also found another great idea for home for them. Great for office stuff eg sticky tape, bulldog clips, pens etc all very accessible and handy.

Sue

We love it. Maybe this is naive, but I like to think of it as a courtesy to our cabin stewards. We have put away our stuff in the over-the-door doodad, and they can clean our bathroom quickly because we do not have our junk spread all over.

Well, my stuff is not spread out all over, either. My cosmetics are in a cosmetic bag, my toothpaste and brush are in a cup, my jewelry is in a small case that fits up on a shelf, etc. I don't think not having the shoe bag thing makes my bathroom overly messy.

I can definitely see where having more than two people in a cabin might result in a lot more stuff, and then it might be more useful, but for me, I just don't have a need for all the pockets. I keep it well organized without that. :)

I WAS super glad I took the advice of posters here and took along highlighters to plan my days (I used them religiously every single night - lol).

Lotions, sunblock, cosmetics, shampoos, hair items, medications - in my make-up bag

Jewelry, cellphones, ids - locked in the safe

camera, ship card - in my purse

No clutter.

Same. I kept the curling iron in the drawer with the hair dryer. I actually loved the small space and having less junk because I could keep the cabin really, really neat. At home, I am messy marvin.

I think it depends on the category cabin you're in and how many people in the cabin. 1st cruise was DH and I in an Oceanview, which I would guess is a standard size. The shoe thingy might have been useful for all my girly stuff, but wasn't *needed*.

2nd cruise was DH and I in a suite that had 2 sinks in the bathroom with about 1.5 ft counter in between and cabinets in both corners going up 2 or 3 feet, a whole separate vanity area with 3 or 4 feet of counter and 3 drawers. It also had a shower stall and a separate jacuzzi tub/shower combo so plenty more space on shelves and tub edges to keep my bathing stuff. We would not have used it.

Next cruise is 4 adults in a standard size balcony. I have a hunch it will be a good idea to take one for that trip.

I will be interested to hear how you like sharing a cabin with another couple. My first cruise was just my husband and me. Second time, my mother and I went, but each had our own cabin. I just do not think I would like sharing.

Absolutely love having one! Everything is in one place, easy to find, no having to figure out where the hubby stashed it this time, and you don't have to spend time pulling things out and repacking it back when you are trying to get back to the fun! Drop and go!

I will be interested to hear how you like sharing a cabin with another couple. My first cruise was just my husband and me. Second time, my mother and I went, but each had our own cabin. I just do not think I would like sharing.

It will be our adult "children" and we've shared all sorts of accomodations from motel rooms to tents. We spent over a month traveling across the country in an rv and all have great memories. I expect it will be very tight, but I also know we'll manage. If it were just "another couple" we would definitely get a second cabin.

• 3 weeks later...
Bringing the shoe rack really helps? If so what do you put in them?

Thanks for any help

I've never used the 'over the door' shoe rack for any items. I'd rather use a small zippered 'cube' for cosmetics and toiletries. The cube is easily carried between cabin and bathroom.

For other 'odds and ends' we use one drawer.

Personally I don't like having a hanging thing full of items, so I don't use one.

i never go on a cruise without the shoe hanger. i hate clutter and it allows your housekeeper to keep things clean and germ free because they are not allowed to move any of your belongings to clean.

Even though we don't use the organizer, we do not have any clutter and we don't leave anything on the counters in cabin or bathroom. We simply use a different kind of organizer and put it on closet shelf or in a drawer.

Archived