does the shoe rack really helps?

Pooh&OurHunny

We are a family of 4 and tried this on our 2nd cruise. Never again. AFter the first day of banging into it everytime somebody went in/out of the bathroom and stuff falling out of it every time somebody banged into it, we took it down. Plenty of room for the stuff in the bathroom and/or on the vanity in the main room.

• 2 weeks later...

My mom, sis and i used our over the door holder. I got it from the dollar tree and we tossed it as we left the ship. (too bad i didn't put my shoes in it, they got left under the life preservers...)

Our cabin only had one little tiny shelf for bathroom storage. This little guy came in really handy. We had some issues hanging it up-so be prepared for some Magiver-ing.

We all took a row plus some and put our sunscreen, brushes, hair do-ikys, makeup, deodorant, bandaids, medicine, pos-its, pens, etc etc. It was easier than digging around in a bag and since we shared a lot made it easy to find extra batteries, sd cards, stamps and stuff.

Plus we felt bad for our poor room steward having tons of stuff lying around because we always were running late to be where we wanted to be. (Story of my life :D ) So we just tossed into the shoe rack.

Have fun!!!

The bathrooms generally have 4 decent sized shelves which easily hold all 2 or 3 people need for a cruise. Either buy travel sizes or buy some of the plastic bottles at walmart. keep them in a double zipper bag while traveling just in case.

We always take one of these to Walt Disney World. The hotel rooms are rather tight and the mess with 2 teenagers.

We put the following in the pockets:

sunscreen

qtips

over the counter medicine

hair ties

brushes

earbuds

booklight

hairspray

mousse

lip balm

moleskin, bandaids, neosporin

brochures

bottom row: flip flops, water shoes

We will definitely be taking one for the girls' cabin on our cruise. There will be FOUR (help me!) teenage girls in that room. Can you imagine the disorganized mess?!? :o

Bringing the shoe rack really helps? If so what do you put in them?

Thanks for any help

We've never used one either but I can see how useful they can be for a family for 4 or more cruising in the same cabin together. Especially if there are teenagers.

A shoe rack would keep everyones individual items (makeup, toothpaste and brushes, deodrant, etc) all separate.

We used one on our last cruise and it was a lifesaver. We put all of those little things like sunscreen, clothes pins, belts, sunglasses, etc. I think it really depends in the person. If you're a neat freak (like me), I would suggest taking one. As others have said, they're cheap and very lightweight.

I found a net shower caddie (has about six pockets, similar to the over the door shoe caddie but smaller) at the dollar store yesterday. Rolled it up and put it in the bottom of my suitcase. If I need it, great...I got it. If I don't no worries...it was only a dollar and probably weighs less than an ounce.

• 1 month later...

We had a balcony room with two people and never needed the caddy. There was ample space in our cabin for everything. The shower had corner shelves and there was space on either side of the sink, plus there was cabinet space behind the mirror (which I did not find until about day 4 or 5). There was a nice size closet with shelved on either side, plus more shelving out side of the closet. Plus a few drawers by the desk.

I will suggest (even though this is not the tread for it) that you take a small power strip because there are one double outlet by the desk and an single outlet where the coffee pot is. And between cell phone chargers, camera chargers, video camera chargers, we definately needed it. I am so glad I read about that here on CC.

More then enough space without the shoe rack for two people. We used two of them when we sailed with 5 of us to an inside cabin. We put one in the bathroom and one outside the bathroom door.

the one outside held our outdoor stuff-- Sunglasses, sunscreens, hats. etc we hung lanyards up on the hook=-

the key is to not put anything on the vanity. keep the cabin some what organized or it will close in on you.

If you only have 2 people in the cabin, you won't need it. There's plenty of storage for 2 people. More than 2? I don't know about that.

There are only 2 of us, but I found that the shoe rack helps keep up with the clutter - the vanity and table stay clear and I can put my hands on things quickly because I don't have to remember which nook and cranny I put them in.

Wow cool! I think this is brilliant

I get tired of rummaging through my ship "junk drawer" and bathroom vanity - and packing the chaos to come home

I now have one that could go over the door and another on a closet rod

Filling them before I leave, hang them up, roll up everything to come home

Husband is disabled, and I have one here at home that is cut down smaller and mounted to the wall by his bed. Holds lots of little things ( charging cards, night socks, creams/lotions, baby powder, to catheter and O2 suppies. I cut it down to only about 12 slots, didn't need more than that. I'll take one with us on the cruise along with the 3M stick on hooks. Now those I use a LOT of.

It is more the "need it in a certain spot, than just need more storage".

I have been on 3 cruises, used it on two and not on the other. It's a matter of personal preference. There is plenty of cabinet and counter space - you'd be surprised how many nooks and crannies there are in that lil ol bathroom lol. However I use it over the door for jewelry. The pockets are fairly small and it helps me keep my jewelry and my dgtrs for eveningtime organized. It's definitely not a necessity for me but it can come in handy - just judge it based on your own personal preference - there's always going to be people that like an idea or don't like it - what you pack is up to you! :)

Archived