Cruise stops at Brazil ports - Visas for US citizens

Capricruiser

Next year my cruise ship will be making one-day stops at three Brazilian ports. I'll be on an Italian ship but traveling on a US passport. To go ashore will I have to pay the expensive Brazilian reprocity fee visa? If so, is this done on board, or will I have to arrange for a Brazilian visa before the cruise. I know the European Union passengers aboard are exempt from having to obtain a visa.:confused:

Next year my cruise ship will be making one-day stops at three Brazilian ports. I'll be on an Italian ship but traveling on a US passport. To go ashore will I have to pay the expensive Brazilian reprocity fee visa? If so, is this done on board, or will I have to arrange for a Brazilian visa before the cruise. I know the European Union passengers aboard are exempt from having to obtain a visa.:confused:

You need a visa regardless of whether you get off the ship or not and you have to obtain the visa ahead of time.

Be sure to visit the web site for the consulate so you know exactly how soon you can apply. And give yourself plenty of time because sometimes their turn around time is awfully slow.

Keith

To go ashore will I have to pay the expensive Brazilian reprocity fee visa?.:confused:

The cruise company hasn't advised you about this? Seems like they should. Have you contacted them?

Yes, those in the European Union don't need visas, anyway. Nothing to do with the cruise. And the fact that it's an Italian ship is irrelevant (besides, many ships we might think of as American may be registered in the Bahamas, Barbados, etc.).

What's the "Brazilian reciprocity fee visa"? Do you mean the fee for getting a visa? Yes, you have to pay and I imagine that the cruise line won't even allow you to board the ship without having the visa ahead of time. You'd be in Brazilian territorial waters. You certainly can't fly into Brazil without having the proper visa ahead of time (no airport visas).

Brazilians need visas to enter the U.S., of course (even just to transit between international flights, which is not the case for Americans simply transiting Brazil, if they stay within the "secure" transit area of an airport and are there for a limited amount of time, something like 12 hours total). And I can assure you that's it's tougher for a Braizlian to get a U.S. visa than it is for you to get a Brazilian visa (of course, a lot more Brazilians have overstayed their U.S. visas).

If in doubt, contact the nearest Brazilian embassy or consualte (http://www.brazil-help.com/brazil-emb-consul.htm). Phone, do not rely on e-mail.

Been there done that! You MUST have a Brazilian Visa in hand BEFORE you board your ship. Google Brazilian Consulates and find the one that services the state where you live and find out how they process; all Brazilian consultes in the US DO NOT have the same procedures.....particularly Los Angeles. Apply not earlier than 90 days before your arrival in Brazil. E-Mail me @ jcohn9@cox.net if you need more info!!!

Good travels to you! BTW, what ports are you stopping at? We're in Fortaleza, and I have on occasion seen MSC and Costa ships here, but I'm guessing Santos, Rio and Salvador (outside chance of Recife) for you.

Good travels to you! BTW, what ports are you stopping at? We're in Fortaleza, and I have on occasion seen MSC and Costa ships here, but I'm guessing Santos, Rio and Salvador (outside chance of Recife) for you.

Buzio (Rio), Salvador, and Recife. The cruise is a transatlantic from Buenos Aires to Southampton UK but is not until next April.

No visa, no cruise. You have been forewarned. If you don't have a visa staying onboard on the ship is not an option because you won't be on board. As I understand this, this is totally a reciprocal thing. Brazilians demand that U.S. pax buy expensive visas because the U.S. demands that from Brazilians. This came up during Obama's visit.

To prove that this is reciprocal: Brazil allows Brits and EU nationals in without visas.

No visa, no cruise. You have been forewarned. If you don't have a visa staying onboard on the ship is not an option because you won't be on board. As I understand this, this is totally a reciprocal thing. Brazilians demand that U.S. pax buy expensive visas because the U.S. demands that from Brazilians. This came up during Obama's visit.

To prove that this is reciprocal: Brazil allows Brits and EU nationals in without visas.

No need for the forewarning. I already said in post number 4 above that I'll be obtaining the visa from the Brazilian embassy in Rome. And, I will be on board. Thanks.

Capricruiser -- Understood. Last month when I flew from Charlotte to Rio, it was amazing how many people tried to board without a visa. They were all refused boarding by USAir because the carrier would face stiff penalties for admitting people without a visa.

In my previous life, as a foreign correspondent, I used to "parachute" without a visa, i.e. taking a chance. When Mrs. Gandhi was assassinated, this is what I did. Just flew in and was able to negotiate a visa at the New Delhi airport without any problem. Brazil is not a place that negotiates.

Capricruiser -- Understood. Last month when I flew from Charlotte to Rio, it was amazing how many people tried to board without a visa. They were all refused boarding by USAir because the carrier would face stiff penalties for admitting people without a visa.

In my previous life, as a foreign correspondent, I used to "parachute" without a visa, i.e. taking a chance. When Mrs. Gandhi was assassinated, this is what I did. Just flew in and was able to negotiate a visa at the New Delhi airport without any problem. Brazil is not a place that negotiates.

Wonder how many of those people trying to board the flight complained about the airline not letting them board, saying something like, "You didn't warn us! It's your fault!" While it might be possible to get a Brazilian visa during a port stay in Buenos Aires, I agree the cruise line wouldn't likely allow one to even board without proper visas. While there are a number of countries whose citizens can enter the U.S. through the visa waiver program, there are still lots of others whose citizens need visas, and I don't know that the U.S. will rush to increase the number of people who don't need visas (for domestic politcal reasons, at the very least).

Archived