Tempted to cancel reservation and rebook after final payment?

Ohio-C-Luver

Has anyone tried this? I talked with our TA, while we would not incur any losses, except to maybe lose anytime dining. We have an inside cabin booked already, but now thinking maybe an OV would suit our tastes, but alas is about $400 more than our early booked inside cabin.

I've ready where alot of people said they'd never book early again due to the price drops after final payment, but has anyone actually done this? We are so tempted to try this to save some extra money to spend elsewhere on the cruise!

Thanks in advance for anyone with this type experience!

Bon Voyage'

The only time I've booked that close to the sailing date is when the port is close enough to drive to. The big risk factor that I see is that if you have to fly, increased airfare may cut into your $400 savings.......

The only time I've booked that close to the sailing date is when the port is close enough to drive to. The big risk factor that I see is that if you have to fly, increased airfare may cut into your $400 savings.......

Airfare and hotel's already paid for. We wouldn't cancel if the ship is nearly full, but if it's half empty at final payment time, we're sorely tempted to take a chance on a better and cheaper cabin (I'll use that web site we can't name on this forum to find out) I'm very tempted as we're seniors, past cruisers etc.

While I loved being able to get a price reduction, I can't get all bent out of shape if the price of my cruise goes down after I've booked. If you bought a sofa, or a dress, or whatever and three months later it went on sale, would you get money back? I don't think so. The bottom line is that I wanted to take the cruise and was happy with the price that I booked, so I'm not going to whine if the price goes down before I sail.

OP, you need someone who is in the full 'Know' to respond. there could be issues over cancelling an existing reservation and then trying to rebook a new reservation - Celebrity may have some restrictions on that after final payment or for new bookings only deals.

Your TA should be able to check that out. they are the ones to really tell you under your situation - you booked with them, the contract is with them. If they can do it and either save you a bundle with another Inside or get you a good eal on an upgrade, go for it. But the TA needs to make sure that since you've already made the final payment through them to Celebrity that there isn't any issues with cancelling and then the same people rebooking immediately.

Anyone who has done actually done this should pipe in. Ive seen more than a few posters say that they'd do this on the threads bemoaning the loss of OBC after Final payment, so chime in if you know 1st hand about this.

Den

I would not take the risk if I already had airfare booked. There is no website that shows what percentage of rooms are still available; that is a misnomer. There is a website that says what percentage of categories have at least one stateroom with a vacancy. Lets say there are 20 difference stateroom categories: So if the website says 50% available, it could mean that 10 different categories of rooms each have 1-2 staterooms left (so the ship could be nearly full). While sometimes the prices do drop dramatically after final payment, sometimes they stay flat or rise. You may very well end up paying more (or even a lot more), or you may end up paying less. It is very risky. If you are on a tight budget, do not try this. If you have a flexible budget and are a gambler, then it might be worthwhile to take your chances.

OP, you need someone who is in the full 'Know' to respond. there could be issues over cancelling an existing reservation and then trying to rebook a new reservation - Celebrity may have some restrictions on that after final payment or for new bookings only deals.

Your TA should be able to check that out. they are the ones to really tell you under your situation - you booked with them, the contract is with them. If they can do it and either save you a bundle with another Inside or get you a good eal on an upgrade, go for it. But the TA needs to make sure that since you've already made the final payment through them to Celebrity that there isn't any issues with cancelling and then the same people rebooking immediately.

Anyone who has done actually done this should pipe in. Ive seen more than a few posters say that they'd do this on the threads bemoaning the loss of OBC after Final payment, so chime in if you know 1st hand about this.

Den

We would cancel just prior to final payment. WE have no OBC due us, we booked way in advance and booked an inside cabin. We have a great location, which is why we are hesitating abit and just mulling this matter over. Just wanted to hear from those that might have done it. According to our TA, we would not incur any penalties, and get a full refund on our deposit as we would cancel just a day prior to final payment. Hope this makes the picture more clear. May or may not due this, but just wanted to hear of experiences from others. Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Just for the sake of debate here... Let's say you cancel the day before final payment is due. And let's say (making an assumption -- you'd best get this verified with TA & Celebrity) that you're eligible to make a new booking after final payment.

How long after final payment are you willing to hold out? Since you already have flights booked, how close to sailaway day would you wait before pulling the trigger?

FWIW, on our last two cruises, the fares have gone up not long after final payment date. Many others here have reported similar patterns, while yet others have indeed said that the fares dropped. On our Jan. 16 Solstice cruise, after the fare jump in November, there were some deals about 3 weeks before sailing. And even those didn't last long.

Is it worth your time and effort (and stress) to aim for the 'optimal' price point, knowing you're taking a gamble in that the fares could go up or the category (or cruise!) could sell out? Only you can answer this.

Do you mean cancel BEFORE final payment? That is how it is done. Your agent may charge a cancellation fee or not. Recently had an early booking(only time ever) As time for final payment closed in, a drastic price drop; we canceled and rebooked same cabin subject to a $50 cancelation fee from large online cruise only agency at new lower price.Just prior to final payment cruise line will know cabin count and hasten to reduce to fill ship.

available for purchase. That is how I check cabin availability and prices. So far my 2 upcoming cruises are heavily booked with few cabins available and the prices have gone up considerably.

As you know, we can't give out the names of TA's so I'm sorry I can't help with that.

As other posters have said though, you need to be really careful because you could wind up losing your reserved cabin and not getting any!!!!:confused:

Interesting discussion. I'd responded thinking the OP was thinking of doing this now and 'now' was after Final Payment. So this is a different issue.

But why I find it interesting is when Celebrity dropped giving OBC on exisitng reservations when prices dropped after final payment, there was a ton of posters saying how they'd Never make a reservation until after final payment dates. Now many are saying that cancelling an existing reservation and then rebooking after final payment to get a potentlal price drop is risky. Interesting. I'm sure its not the same people who swore they'd never book until final payment, but just interesting on how many people are pointing out the risk. I totally agree with it being risky and I'd not personally take it.

I make reservations early for many reasons, and we'd not seen the big price drops until during the recent recession, and I have a feeling we won't be seeing them quite as common in the future, but who knows....if I really knew for sure and could predict such things, I'd probably be a Billionare!

I won't give advice since if I tell you to hold onto what you have (which is what I do all the time) and the price drops...bummer....if I tell you to cancel and the price goes up, doesn't change Or you lose out on some aspect you really like such as the cruise itself!....double bummer.

Have fun deciding...that's one reason I Don't look at prices after Final payment...I know, I could get an upgrade if it was cheaper, but I usually pick a SR I really want and not interested in 'upgrading'. Example, my two upcoming Celebrity cruises I have a bump SR, because I booked early! And i get to think and plan on my cruises for all this time!

Den

First I would check with the cruise line and the travel agent. I would just say that you may not be able to go so you might have to cancel your reservation before final payment and rebook if everything works out like family member gets better or some other excuse. If you are sweet, one of them might tell you the availability of cabins.

I would ask this question on you cruise line boards where you may get someone who has done this on the cruise line you are booked on.

Of my 16 cruises, 3 were booked after final payment and they were super values. I always got a decent cabin although not midship. In one case (the screaming bargain) we settled for a cabin and I checked every day. A few weeks before the cruise a much better cabin became available.

Well.... at current pricing there is $170pp difference between a Cat 10 and Cat 7.

So, if you are booked in Cat 12 or 11.. there is no chance of your category going down since it is sold out.

However, if after final payment the rate of the 7 should drop to the current rate you are paying, you can ask for a complimentary upgrade to the 7 as long as it is not a "happy hour" promotion or otherwise restricted to new bookings.

Case in point: client was booked and paid in AQ. The S2 dropped, I called, and Celebrity upgraded them to the S2.

In clearing inventory after final, I've been seeing more use of guarantees.. than dropping the rates on the individual categories.

I assume this is your Alaska cruise you are discussing. If so, I would be fearful of price increases rather than decreases. Alaska has a limited time frame for cruising and therefore the prices tend to be more competitive.

Your air reservations could be a problem if booked via Choice Air, i.e., if you cancel the cruise, I believe the air is cancelled, also.

My husband and I are from Ohio; we are Floridians now. We're going on the Constellation in May on a Transatlantic cruise.

Please e-mail me if you have more questions. pbaldwin@tampabay.rr.com

I do not feel you have to cancel. On previous cruises, I have already been booked with Celebrity for an inside cabin and wanted to upgrade after final payment. There was no problem. I called them since I booked directly with them, and told them that I saw an ocean view was open that I would rather have. It was even cheaper then the inside price we paid, they booked us in the ocean view cabin and they gave me the difference as an OBC (on board credit) since final payment had already been made.

They said that if the OBC was not used by the end of the cruise they would reapply the credit to my credit card. But I used it up, of course. :)

available for purchase. That is how I check cabin availability and prices. So far my 2 upcoming cruises are heavily booked with few cabins available and the prices have gone up considerably.

As you know, we can't give out the names of TA's so I'm sorry I can't help with that.

As other posters have said though, you need to be really careful because you could wind up losing your reserved cabin and not getting any!!!!:confused:

I booked a cruise 5 days ago with my usual TA. This week they are running a mega sale on a transatlantic cruise in Oct 2011. The new deal doubled my OBC, added a free speciality dining meal $50 credit) and a few other items. I immediately called and wanted to cancel my C-3 guarantee and then rebook. My existing deposit was 2X what the new promo required.

I was told that Celebrity is monitoring cancel/rebooking activity and if I proceed I will lose all OBC and current discounts. That is a potential loss of $1200. This is my third cruise with Celebrity and 16th overall. Any truth to this "myth". I really feel it is my TA and not Celebrity.Any comments no matter the tone is appreciated

We would cancel just prior to final payment. WE have no OBC due us, we booked way in advance and booked an inside cabin. We have a great location, which is why we are hesitating abit and just mulling this matter over. Just wanted to hear from those that might have done it. According to our TA, we would not incur any penalties, and get a full refund on our deposit as we would cancel just a day prior to final payment. Hope this makes the picture more clear. May or may not due this, but just wanted to hear of experiences from others. Thanks everyone for your input! :)

Be careful. I have seen language (mostly on Azamara which is owned by RCCL) which specifically states you can not cancel and rebook the same cruise (ship and date) to receive the new rate (or new promotion).

I booked a cruise 5 days ago with my usual TA. This week they are running a mega sale on a transatlantic cruise in Oct 2011. The new deal doubled my OBC, added a free speciality dining meal $50 credit) and a few other items. I immediately called and wanted to cancel my C-3 guarantee and then rebook. My existing deposit was 2X what the new promo required.

I was told that Celebrity is monitoring cancel/rebooking activity and if I proceed I will lose all OBC and current discounts. That is a potential loss of $1200. This is my third cruise with Celebrity and 16th overall. Any truth to this "myth". I really feel it is my TA and not Celebrity.Any comments no matter the tone is appreciated

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I would be inclined to cancel. Then book the new deal with this TA or another TA.

Archived