Still the same crappy air dept.

crusinbanjo

after being away from Silversea for a number of years, Mrs Banjo & I recently booked a 12 day cruise out of Southampton to Barcelona. On the advise of our T/A we took the SS. Air, Business class option. the air dept quickly booked us on Iceland Air. When we read on CC that Iceland Air Business class is not a full recline, we had the TA call and ask for another routing. Just as I remembered, the air dept is as rude & crabby as ever. They started out with "well, at will cost more" and the deviation fee and on and on, like why are you bothering us. Well, I hate to remind them who the customer is! I think we are just going to tell them to keep their air and we will book our own flights. This is precisely why we have not booked SS since 2005. looking like they have not learned a thing!

I feel your pain -- my travel agent and I had a terrible time with SS air earlier this year. In the end it all worked out but the frustration and endless back and forth took so much time it seemed not to be worth it -- if the air credit is decent it's probably better to take that instead.

Aside from the times when the airfare is 'included' in the price of the cruise, what are the advantages of having SS book your flight?

Biggest advantage is if there is some type of catastrophic event where you need rerouting such as the volcanic Iceland eruption impacting many European flights last spring or most recently right after the earthquake in Japan. Also should your arrival into port be significantly delayed on disembarkation day the cruise line will take the lead to get your flights changed.

I aways believe in not leaving the flights up to the cruise line so my recommendation is to pay the extra money up front for custom air or just not get the air through the cruise line. I do not think it's ever a good idea to leave it all up to chance.

Keith

Guess we've been lucky with Silversea air. I just assume that we will have to pay a $200 deviation fee. Maybe they just like my TA??? Next month we're flying Delta to New York and BA home from Southampton (Bus. Class). Sorry to hear that they don't always do a great job.

Guess we've been lucky with Silversea air. I just assume that we will have to pay a $200 deviation fee. Maybe they just like my TA??? Next month we're flying Delta to New York and BA home from Southampton (Bus. Class). Sorry to hear that they don't always do a great job.

Do you think your TA would mind getting our flights changed for us? :D

I hope it will all work out, and $200. deviation fee isn't that bad, but do they need to be so crabby about it? I really think they need to be reminded STRONGLY about who is paying for the service. If they started off being helpful, and a little bit understanding, the deviation fee would be a non issue. But like always, they start off by telling you why they can't and give the attitude of why are you bothering us.? Then in the end, after all the ARRRGH, they seem to come up with what you asked for in the first place. :(

Oh we're having a tough time dealing with them, via our TA, also! We assumed it was just because we are first timers, and they were making things especially difficult for us ;)

They've reserved seats for us on flights that arrive just three and a half hours prior to the ship's departure time. And all passengers need to be on board 2 hours prior to departure as a requirement for local customs procedures.

We are now trying to change our plans in order to arrive the day before we sail. There are earlier flights on the day but SS can't (won't?) accomodate us on those, so we will need to pay the deviation fee to book the day before.

Oh we're having a tough time dealing with them, via our TA, also! We assumed it was just because we are first timers, and they were making things especially difficult for us ;)

They've reserved seats for us on flights that arrive just three and a half hours prior to the ship's departure time. And all passengers need to be on board 2 hours prior to departure as a requirement for local customs procedures.

We are now trying to change our plans in order to arrive the day before we sail. There are earlier flights on the day but SS can't (won't?) accomodate us on those, so we will need to pay the deviation fee to book the day before.

Sorry to hear the flight didn't work out for you.

Even if flights are available the day of embarkation I would also advise not flying in the day of the cruise. There is just too many things that can go wrong that can cause you to miss your flights including weather, aircraft mechanical issues. a security breach at the airport, lack of flight personnel, computer glitches at the airline and with the FAA and an assortment of other items.

I always recommend going with the deviation fee from the get go so you carefully select the flights that work best for you including ones with a lot of layover time should there be a change of planes and also the ability to request flights that arrive a day or more before your cruise. To me it's worth the price.

I do think that the cruise line should strive to make the customer service experience as good at home as it normally is on the ship and that includes the air department. Sorry to hear about your difficulties and also that of crusinbanjo.

Keith

Our only experience with Silversea Air was excellent, although I must say it was possibly a bit easier to arrange as it was Toronto-Bridgetown and Fll-Toronto. I searched for what I felt would be our best routing/carrier - advised my agent what we wanted and gladly paid the deviation. Our seats were confirmed eight months out on our exact selection.

As I say, this was our first experience with Silversea but I knew what we wanted and they were able to accomodate us. I've always been skeptical of cruise line arranged air and make sure we don't get on "milk runs" or multiple connection situations where it can be avoided.

Must say I don't understand why your agent would encounter "rude and crabby" treatment though - no excuse for that.

Rob

For all the reasons everyone else has stated, we never book SS air. We like to fly in at least a couple of days early - embarked in Cape Town on 12th March and had never been there before, so wanted to see the place. If you spend some time researching on the internet you can find reasonably priced flights - business class flights too. Some SS flights are too close to sailaway time. We met people on the Cloud transatlantic last year who used SS air, got there in time but their luggage didn't! We embarked in Puerto Rico and their luggage arrived in Tenerife!!

For all the reasons everyone else has stated, we never book SS air. We like to fly in at least a couple of days early - embarked in Cape Town on 12th March and had never been there before, so wanted to see the place. If you spend some time researching on the internet you can find reasonably priced flights - business class flights too. Some SS flights are too close to sailaway time. We met people on the Cloud transatlantic last year who used SS air, got there in time but their luggage didn't! We embarked in Puerto Rico and their luggage arrived in Tenerife!!

The luggage not arriving is my biggest concern. If I'm on the ship without my belongings I will not enjoy it. If I had to make the choice I'd rather lose a day of my cruise but be assured to have my luggage with me.

This has been a hard lesson for us to learn - and of course we won't repeat the experience. We made the mistake of assuming that by leaving it up to SS we'd be better off than making arrangements ourselves...

OP - have they resolved your situation yet?

NO, there is no resolution as of Friday. I hope on Monday it will be resolved. In the mean time I have been researching other options. If SS can't deviate to our liking, I am told we can forgo the air and pay the cruise only price with a deduct for "no air". If that happens we will just book air transport that suits our needs. Too bad, who would think a 6 star cruise line would have a -1 star air dept.

SS got back to my TA with 2 alternatives to the Iceland Air flights. The first is an Air France flight from Boston to Paris, change planes and fly to london, Arrives London at 1:45pm, so 1 hour to get luggage & clear customs, etc, 2 hour drive to Southampton, (assuming good drive conditions), that makes arrival at the ship at 5:00 +/- ship sails at 6:00 WAY TOO CLOSE.

The other option is to go through Frankfurt on Lufthansa and arrive London at 8:00 am.

I can book British Air to arrive at 9:00 am Direct from Boston on my own. It will cost more, but it is direct. Any thoughts?

Thanks

SS got back to my TA with 2 alternatives to the Iceland Air flights. The first is an Air France flight from Boston to Paris, change planes and fly to london, Arrives London at 1:45pm, so 1 hour to get luggage & clear customs, etc, 2 hour drive to Southampton, (assuming good drive conditions), that makes arrival at the ship at 5:00 +/- ship sails at 6:00 WAY TOO CLOSE.

The other option is to go through Frankfurt on Lufthansa and arrive London at 8:00 am.

I can book British Air to arrive at 9:00 am Direct from Boston on my own. It will cost more, but it is direct. Any thoughts?

Thanks

How much of a layover do you have in Frankfurt?

Keith

Layover is 1hr 30min, not bad.

It's really a personal decision.

I think if it was me I would take the direct flight so I didn't have to worry about switching planes. If I was flying in the day before the cruise I'd be less concerned. It's really a personal decision as to whether or not making a connection will be stressful for you or not.

Keith

I'm probably over thinking this way too much as we have months and months but this thread really has me wondering if we did the right thing taking SS air. When we booked a couple of months ago we'd looked out as far as we could at air fares from San Antonio to Barcelona and Istanbul back to San Antonio and we couldn't beat the SS offer for business class. Our major hub is Dallas and there are at least a couple of airlines (i.e., American, Delta) that fly to Spain non-stop from there or have combinations that would take us up to New York and then over. Obviously if we were booking the flights ourselves we'd avoid New York at almost any cost and would prefer to just get on a plane in Dallas and fly direct. Kind of realize we really don't have any or at least not much control over SS but can't help but feel, or maybe fear would be the right word, that they'll route us through multiple cities in the US. Any secrets or advice on how best to deal with the SS air department? We are using an SS cruise consultant rather than a separate TA. As an aside we'll be flying in to Barcelona a day or two early and leaving Istanbul a day or two after the cruise.

I'm probably over thinking this way too much as we have months and months but this thread really has me wondering if we did the right thing taking SS air. When we booked a couple of months ago we'd looked out as far as we could at air fares from San Antonio to Barcelona and Istanbul back to San Antonio and we couldn't beat the SS offer for business class. Our major hub is Dallas and there are at least a couple of airlines (i.e., American, Delta) that fly to Spain non-stop from there or have combinations that would take us up to New York and then over. Obviously if we were booking the flights ourselves we'd avoid New York at almost any cost and would prefer to just get on a plane in Dallas and fly direct. Kind of realize we really don't have any or at least not much control over SS but can't help but feel, or maybe fear would be the right word, that they'll route us through multiple cities in the US. Any secrets or advice on how best to deal with the SS air department? We are using an SS cruise consultant rather than a separate TA. As an aside we'll be flying in to Barcelona a day or two early and leaving Istanbul a day or two after the cruise.

Yes, you should pay the additional fee and do an air deviation.

I think there are pros and cons about ships air and we look at this on a case by case basis.

When we do select air on any cruise line we select the air deviation so we can request our flights.

I like to specify airline, flights and I factor in having a good amount of time if we have to change planes.

Keith

Thanks. Since my wife is an advanced frequent flier on American we did ask the cruise consultant to put that down as our preference. We figured that couldn't hurt though didn't particularly hold out much hope that SS would pay much attention to that. Assuming the air deviation cost wouldn't be onerous that's probably the way to go. I've seen the $200 fee mentioned here, is that the standard or does it change depending on the deviation requested?

Thanks. Since my wife is an advanced frequent flier on American we did ask the cruise consultant to put that down as our preference. We figured that couldn't hurt though didn't particularly hold out much hope that SS would pay much attention to that. Assuming the air deviation cost wouldn't be onerous that's probably the way to go. I've seen the $200 fee mentioned here, is that the standard or does it change depending on the deviation requested?

That is the standard. If the flight is much higher in price then they can come back on a higher price.

I really would go with the air deviation and see if this can work for you.

Keith

If possible, ALWAYS give your TA a preference of itineraries. I emailed our TA the exact itinerary we wanted (carriers, times, dates - the whole thing). He forwarded it to SS air exactly. This was after his advice that they are more likely to help when they you tell them what you want down to the "last t crossed" (and, no, I do not agree that with SS you should have to do anything...but I am not here to argue that point). And...voila, we're booked. Luckily for us it was a mere $50 more pp (plus the $200 deviation fee) --- much cheaper than taking the $800 credit and booking business class on our own.

So, my advice for anyone dealing with SS air? Research what you want on your own. Nonstop from Dallas? Delta? Arriving at 12:00? Whatever... then send your TA or even SS air that itinerary. Might save some time and aggravation. :D

If possible, ALWAYS give your TA a preference of itineraries. I emailed our TA the exact itinerary we wanted (carriers, times, dates - the whole thing). He forwarded it to SS air exactly. This was after his advice that they are more likely to help when they you tell them what you want down to the "last t crossed" (and, no, I do not agree that with SS you should have to do anything...but I am not here to argue that point). And...voila, we're booked. Luckily for us it was a mere $50 more pp (plus the $200 deviation fee) --- much cheaper than taking the $800 credit and booking business class on our own.

So, my advice for anyone dealing with SS air? Research what you want on your own. Nonstop from Dallas? Delta? Arriving at 12:00? Whatever... then send your TA or even SS air that itinerary. Might save some time and aggravation. :D

I agree. And this is true of all of the luxury lines.

The key is air deviation, possibly paying a little more on top of that but requesting the specific flights you want including providing the flight numbers, day of travel, and airline(s) for both the outbound and return flights.

Keith

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks for the advice. Admittedly the only time I've taken cruise line provided air was many, many years ago and it was nearly a disaster. Of course I also made the mistake of flying in the day of the cruise departure which was another lesson learned and haven't done that since. Anyhow, as soon as the return flying dates come within reach, American only shows flights 330 days out, I'll follow your advice.

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks for the advice. Admittedly the only time I've taken cruise line provided air was many, many years ago and it was nearly a disaster. Of course I also made the mistake of flying in the day of the cruise departure which was another lesson learned and haven't done that since. Anyhow, as soon as the return flying dates come within reach, American only shows flights 330 days out, I'll follow your advice.

I just want to add one item.

When you identify the flights check from time to time because more often than not there are time changes and other changes to flights from the time they are first on the schedule. In other words the flight you select might have a time change that is significant and the new time might not work out or the flight itself may be removed from the schedule.

So, after we identify the flights we want to our TA to pass along to the cruise line, I check the airline site (I too used American Airlines for many of our flights) to see if there are changes and if there are I research alternatives and pass them onto our TA.

Keith

I just want to add one item.

When you identify the flights check from time to time because more often than not there are time changes and other changes to flights from the time they are first on the schedule. In other words the flight you select might have a time change that is significant and the new time might not work out or the flight itself may be removed from the schedule.

So, after we identify the flights we want to our TA to pass along to the cruise line, I check the airline site (I too used American Airlines for many of our flights) to see if there are changes and if there are I research alternatives and pass them onto our TA.

Keith

No kidding. We flew American to Ft Lauderdale and back three weeks ago for a HAL cruise and we'd only booked that flight in December. We must have had three or four flight number or departure time changes in 90 days. :)

Archived