Payment in Port

we are cruising on the dream this fall. our second cruise. our first was a little 2 day cruise which we didnt buy anything extra. this time we have a sufficient amount set aside for spending. i know on the ship we will have a sign and sail card. which i protected through carnival and can be used by either adding cash or your bank account number. as for when we get into port, how do we pay for things? cash, check, debit card? and if cash, how much should we bring at each port. for the sign and sail card i think we are going to link to our debit card/bank account, but we just dont know if we need cash as well for any part of the cruise, ports, etc.

thanks

we are cruising on the dream this fall. our second cruise. our first was a little 2 day cruise which we didnt buy anything extra. this time we have a sufficient amount set aside for spending. i know on the ship we will have a sign and sail card. which i protected through carnival and can be used by either adding cash or your bank account number. as for when we get into port, how do we pay for things? cash, check, debit card? and if cash, how much should we bring at each port. for the sign and sail card i think we are going to link to our debit card/bank account, but we just dont know if we need cash as well for any part of the cruise, ports, etc.

thanks

How would someone protect your credit card thru Carnival?? I think there is a misunderstanding here. You give the last 4 digits of your card when you fill out the online part....they dont have your credit card until you show up to board the ship.

I always pay in cash at the ports.. .. I would recommend against credit card, but most will stand behind you. I wouldnt think of using a debit card in a foreign country in a port unless you are so desperate you are willing to assume the risk if the number is stolen.

Credit card laws only protect purchases in the US, though they do try and recover money from fraud ....but why take that risk. Debit cards you really are taking a much huger risk even in the US.

Id bring about $100 a day for the ports.

i meant to put which IS protected through carnival. by that i meant if something were to show up on my statement at the end of the cruise in the event that i DID NOT make a certain purchase or what not that i would have a valid dispute with carnival, which is not likely if i got a statement for something i didnt purchse in say belize or costa maya.

thats what i was referring to. i just didnt state it clearly. but thank you. so if 100 dollar per port and im visiting 4 ports i would need 400 cash. whew.. i hope they have good safes in the staterooms!

i meant to put which IS protected through carnival. by that i meant if something were to show up on my statement at the end of the cruise in the event that i DID NOT make a certain purchase or what not that i would have a valid dispute with carnival, which is not likely if i got a statement for something i didnt purchse in say belize or costa maya.

thats what i was referring to. i just didnt state it clearly. but thank you. so if 100 dollar per port and im visiting 4 ports i would need 400 cash. whew.. i hope they have good safes in the staterooms!

They do have safes in the room that you can only open with a card with a magnetic strip. I brought an old gift card that didn't have any amount left on it. What I do is bring Travelers Checks and cash what I need at the Desk before I leave to go out into port. You have that protection and easy access to cash.

Credit card laws only protect purchases in the US

Except American Express. I rarely use cash in ports except for tipping and small dollar purchases. I use AMEX for everything else as they cover purchases just about worldwide. NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD in port or on the ship for your S&S card. Carnival puts a hold.

thanks

For small purchases in port the best option is cash. For larger purchases in order to protect yourself from fraud, you MUST use a credit card. There seems to be some myth that you are not protected against credit card fraud in foreign countries, and that is simply untrue. If you own a US based credit card and you do not use it to make a purchase you are protected wherever the purchase occurs. If you personally use the card or authorize its use then of course you cannot complain that it was used, bit other than that you are fully protected. (The people who are talking about not being protected mean if you have a dispute with the merchant. Of course, if you use cash you are not protected either, but those people seem to forget that.)

You need some cash to tip the person who brings you room service - we usually tip a couple of dollars if it's a small order. Cash for tips at the pier, taxis in port, for excursions (if you're not pre paying them) and shopping. I'd agree with firefly - $100/port would be a good estimate.

The in room safes on the Dream are number pad entry. You set your code when you put your valuables into the safe, no magnetic card needed. Our cruise on the Dream we had DH's wallet, passports, ipod touch, cell phones and camera in it - still had room to spare.

You have exactly the same protection anywhere you use a credit card. If you don't make a purchase you are protected. Period!

Unless you plan to make a big purchase (jewlery or electronics) I would not use a debit card in the ports.

|Small bills as a lot of the vendors will say they do not have change for a 20.00

Except American Express. I rarely use cash in ports except for tipping and small dollar purchases. I use AMEX for everything else as they cover purchases just about worldwide. NEVER USE YOUR DEBIT CARD in port or on the ship for your S&S card. Carnival puts a hold.

I worked for Amex, and as I said FAIR and other laws only cover you for U.S. purchases. .. though Amex does go out of their way to cover all disputes.

The difference being what legally is protected ... and what the credit cards do in the case of disputes. For that matter, most people dont know that a personal credit card is protected by law, but not business credit cards. The time limits to deal with a personal credit card dispute are set in stone, if the purchase is in the U.S. .. any other card, they do try to do them just as timely, but are not subject to the same laws.

this may sound rather silly.. but i have no idea what a travelers check is or how to use one to get cash? i never use a check. just money order.

silly i know!

You can buy them at your local bank. I use American Express Travelers Checks (I think there are others..not sure) and you sign them at the bank and DO NOT sign them again until you are cashing them in. They are protected against being lost or stolen through AMEX. You go to the desk and sign it and they give you cash for the amount of the travelers checks. They are sold in "bundles" of different increments ($100s/$50s, etc) depending on how much. I don't like to use my credit card when I sail because I don't want to come home to a surprise bill (I tend to overspend...LOL). With Travelers checks turning into cash, I'm more aware of how much I'm spending. I find them very simple to use.

People are missing the point.

There seem to be two issues with credit cards. Is the merchandise good (warranty type things) that are covered in the US, and fraud protection.

You get exactly the same warranty coverage using cash or a credit card when outside the US. NONE

As far as fraud protection all of the credit card companies protect you against fraudulent use of your card wherever it occurs.

If your concern is warranty then the answer is don't buy anything. If your issue is fraud protection by all means use your credit card. You are as protected as if you used it at home.

If you use your credit card for purchases outside the United States, they also add an international fee. On a $500.00 purchase in Jamaica I was charged around $12.00 for the international fee, not a huge deal on a large purchase but I wouldn't want too many of those charges as they all add up.

If you use your credit card for purchases outside the United States, they also add an international fee. On a $500.00 purchase in Jamaica I was charged around $12.00 for the international fee, not a huge deal on a large purchase but I wouldn't want too many of those charges as they all add up.

That's not 100% accurate: I was not charged fees using my Amex. I purchased several leather wallets, & boots in Cozumel and some cologne and jewelry in Grand Cayman; also some liquor in Jamaica's port.

They do have safes in the room that you can only open with a card with a magnetic strip. I brought an old gift card that didn't have any amount left on it. What I do is bring Travelers Checks and cash what I need at the Desk before I leave to go out into port. You have that protection and easy access to cash.

I was on the Dream and the safes on this ship actually require a pin vs using the card to open and close. I like this better since you don't have to be the one who locked it to be able to open it. On the Triumph my daughter was unable to open the safe because I was holding the card that was used to lock it. Love the pin so much more.

Archived