What to buy on the ship

Sunset Rider

hi

i have been on over 25 cruises

prices are high you are out in the middle of the ocean so the choose to shop

is very small.

prices are high overpriced items

i do not buy anything at all on the cruise

to each there own rather think aheade and pack my candy guym suntan lotion essentials ahead of time

selection on board is small due to space at the stores

Well.... smokes and booze dont have any of the added taxes. I think they had 5 cartons (popular brands) for 99.90. And I recall seeing very large bottles of booze for cheapppp. Again...no sales taxes I guess. But this was from 2009 cruise. Not sure about the prices now.

2 bottles of Sheridans $39.99, price is lower than it was in 2009. Sometimes they will throw in a extra half bottle of Sheridans which you cant purchase in the states. .. speaking of which, sounds like a good idea after a long day today.

We have access to the Class VI stores on military bases and DH does not drink alcohol so the price of liquor onboard is not so great. DH is a watch connoisseur, and if he can find a Citizen Eco-Drive to add to his collection (currently has 21 of them), he'll buy it as long as the price is at least 45% off full retail.....

Firefly

Sheridans is the best. Almost bought several last week (4 or 6 bottles) but didn't want to deal with Customs. First time in Tampa and Customs was too easy. Next time I'll load up for sure. For now we go to Niagara Falls, Canada package store. Used to be able to get it at the State Liquor shop only 2 blocks from the house. :mad:

4 years ago, my DH bought me a beautiful Diamond and Tanzanite ring, 14 ct white gold. The ship was having a jewelry sale. We new that the price was probably to high but he loves me a lot and I love the ring. We had the ring appraised a few years ago, it's valued at double what we paid. I think I got a great deal!!!!:D

4 years ago, my DH bought me a beautiful Diamond and Tanzanite ring, 14 ct white gold. The ship was having a jewelry sale. We new that the price was probably to high but he loves me a lot and I love the ring. We had the ring appraised a few years ago, it's valued at double what we paid. I think I got a great deal!!!!:D

I love my tanzinite and diamond ring too. Its more sparkly than some stones.

Some of the ships (maybe all of them?) have a $10 store. I like to browse in there! :)

I bought a watch in the $10 store about 3 yrs ago and it's still tickin' away!:p I just have to remember "fall back, spring ahead" cause I only use it when I only use it when I cruise!

Booze and cigs. Although you don't get the goodies there are good deals to be had.

I bought at watch (el cheapo water resistant $10) because I forgot mine when I left for the cruise. Skip the pashmina, that $10 shawl cost $5 on the streets of NYC, so everything like OP said is overpriced, even when the shops are trying to tout a sale.

They do have other more expensive watches, jewelry, etc, but know the price of the brands before you leave home. Don't spend your vacay trying to determine if you got best price.

Caveat Emptor! :cool:

I love the $10 store and have bought many a pashima (shawl) there ... fashionable and good for the cool temps at the shows and MDR! I also bought a watch set for $20 on the Splendor last August during the watch sale. I don't know if the Paradise will have one but if they do try to get there early ... the jewelry store was packed with frantic bargain shoppers! It was fun, though, and became more of a conquest than a shopping trip! :D

The things not to buy on the ship are certain sundries like aspirin, bandaids, stomach medicine, Aloe Lotion, etc. (you get the idea). These are pretty expensive and a little planning ahead will keep you from having to fork over precious DOD money for Aloe lotion ... hehe.

Hope you have a great trip. I will be sailing Paradise in August ... I'll keep her in good shape for you! :)

I've found booze is probably the only thing that's WORTH buying in the shops unless you like souvenirs. Though It was nice to have the shops open on my Pride cruise when we rolled into 45 degree weather during a freak storm. My wife and I both bought zip up sweatshirts. Very nice quality I have to admit. They seem like they will last forever!

In my opinion they carry a coffee/cream liquer you can only buy outside of the U.S. or on the ship! its called "Sheridens" & it comes in a really cool duel pour bottle you can taste test on the 1st nite, you wont find it the the local liquer store! Thats my recommendation!:D

We get a Christmas ornament and postcards early on, as they tend to go quickly. Each sailing I've been on has a Carnival Logo sale the last full day, and we usually pick up a little something for our nephew and niece.

The $10 store has those shawls that are really nice, I'm debating getting a few of them to give out as gifts this year.

Archived