Drinks - do they try to get you with novelty glasses

Ronsangel

Hi all,

I will be on the Ruby April 24th, and have only cruised RCI before.

On our RC cruise, we didn't realize until day 2 that the plastic RC glasses they were serving our drinks in A) were ours to keep and B) were substantially more expensive than getting drinks in regular glasses.

Does Princess do this as well? Give you novelty glasses unless you specifically ask for a regular one? Just don't want any surprises and certainly don't want any more cheesy plastic cups :)

The only situation I can recall where you keep the glass is with the limoncello served after dinner on Italian night in the main dining rooms. Otherwise, the drinks at the indoor bars/pool decks are just in regular glass/plastic glasses at the regular prices. I think they used to have a drink of the day or sailaway drinks in a special [plastic] glass but I don't recall seeing the special glasses anymore for a long time. Although I could be wrong . . .

The only situation I can recall where you keep the glass is with the limoncello served after dinner on Italian night in the main dining rooms. Otherwise, the drinks at the indoor bars/pool decks are just in regular glass/plastic glasses at the regular prices. I think they used to have a drink of the day or sailaway drinks in a special [plastic] glass but I don't recall seeing the special glasses anymore for a long time. Although I could be wrong . . .

They do have the glasses with the little light show on the bottom sold during the "Ultimate Deck Party". That'll cost you extra, but you don't have to buy it to get a drink.

They do have the glasses with the little light show on the bottom sold during the "Ultimate Deck Party". That'll cost you extra, but you don't have to buy it to get a drink.

Those glasses are a lot of fun. We received several for free on RC (with our Diamond coupons), and they are such a hit at summer deck parties that we got a few more on Princess. I just wish I could get them without the high calorie beverage that comes in them!

Sailaway party is another one with special glasses sometimes.

Actually,I have been told,you buy the glass and the Lemoncello comes along as a bonus as it is made by the kitchen staff and the liquor laws do not allow it to be sold.

The only time I've ever seen the deck staff soft selling novelty glasses was during the Ultimate Deck Party. I said,"no thanks" and that was the last time we were asked. It would end up on that top shelf in the kitchen where all other junk lands!! I'll take the extra drink or two for that price!

I bought the limoncello and little glass (actually I technically bought the glass!) and it was great. The head waiter kept refilling it...very tasty...and the glass is a cute little shot glass with a small metal Princess ship logo....and I think it was around $5 including the glass...not bad!

How could I have forgotten those?? I had a "date" for the deck party on one cruise and he bought a drink in one just so I could have the glass. So cute of him. I need to get another one, so I have a matching pair -- they'd be great for drinks out on the deck this summer.

I need a few more of those limoncello shot glasses, too, come to think of it.

Okay, stocking up on stemware isn't the weirdest reason anybody's ever booked a cruise, right?!

I bought the limoncello and little glass (actually I technically bought the glass!) and it was great. The head waiter kept refilling it...very tasty...and the glass is a cute little shot glass with a small metal Princess ship logo....and I think it was around $5 including the glass...not bad!

Is this available on every Princess sailing?

On our Island Panama cruise last year DH bought 2 of the light up glasses without a drink. He is not one for froo froo drinks but had to have the flashing light glasses to take home.

I also had a fruity drink at sailaway that came in a coloured glass. Mine was blue but they had other colours as well. Between those and the lemoncello shot glasses and the stainless steel coffee mugs that were a promo from our TA, we had a number of "dishes" to take home!

I think the limoncello is available on every cruise on Italian Night in the main dining room. There are six different glasses-it is a frosted shot glass with a decorative metal circle on the front with different things-mine has a Princess ship logo. They really are very cute!

I think the limoncello is available on every cruise on Italian Night in the main dining room. There are six different glasses-it is a frosted shot glass with a decorative metal circle on the front with different things-mine has a Princess ship logo. They really are very cute!

Great, I think I'll try it this summer! I've never had limoncello before.

When I was on the Coral in Feb.they had one of the sales near the end of the cruise.And you could buy the light up plastic cups,the frosted shot glass an many other things ,that I have never seen them sell at the sale before.So you can buy the cups with out the drinks....but what fun is that...haha

You also get this shot glass included in the Princess Grapevine wine tasting ($9.50) but it's used for the dessert wine. On our Alaska cruise they offered Alaskan beer in a souvenir beer glass etched with the Princess & Alaskan logos. It was about $6.50 or you could sometimes purchase them at bars for $2.00. Now I have some nice souvenir beer glasses to remind me of my Alaskan cruise.

Archived