Are 2 pax allowed to book a 3 people cabin?

Thank you for the quick answer!! :)

Another couple of silly questions, if we book the 3 people cabin, do we pay 2 people's fare or 3 people's fare?

And if later a 3 pax comes along and wants that particular cabin, do we have to give it up?

Thanks again! :o

A newbie's question:

We are only two people, but I saw 3 people cabin that is available and has a nice location. Are we allowed to book it?

Thanks!

The 3 person indication you saw just means it has a wall or ceiling pull down bed available for a third occupant. They will book 2 there.

Thank you for the quick answer!! :)

Another couple of silly questions, if we book the 3 people cabin, do we pay 2 people's fare or 3 people's fare?

And if later a 3 pax comes along and wants that particular cabin, do we have to give it up?

Thanks again! :o

You pay for two.....and if you want to add third person to your cabin, the 3rd person sails at a discounted rate.

You do not have to give it up if a 3 party group wants to book it.

They may offer you an upgrade to a better cabin ......if the cruise line wants to induce you to give it up for 3 people......

I recently booked a three berth cabin. When I rang to enquire I was told no you must have three people! I rang back spoke to a different agent hence now I have a three berth. The cabin is an E1 on deck 8 aft so I didn't want to give it up if someone decided to come with us. Kimberley

I think it depends whom you talk to to (as with a lot of things with RC!). We are in an inside quad, but had originally looked at a 'family' inside (can't recall the official name). We were told we couldn't book it as we needed at least 5 people on the reservation to 'qualify' for that room (it holds 6 people). I don't think it's quite the same with the rooms that have the one extra pull out sofabed or pullman bed cabins that will hold 3, but I know they don't like to book 2 people into a quad or less than 5 into a family cabin. On the flip side I have heard several people on these boards say they have had no problem doing just that, so I guess it depends on who you get on the phone. We booked through a TA and weren't allowed. Good Luck and enjoy your cruise.

I don't know about the other "family" cabins, but the Royal Family Suite is one cabin they require 5 people to book. If you don't have 5, they will still book it, but charge you for the 5th person. As for your standard three person cabins, RCI will tell you that should a family of three need your cabin, you will have to be moved. However, it's a rare thing to actually happen.

They are pretty strict about booking the family cabins, no matter who you talk to. The only time you can book those without the minimum number (which is 5) is if it is close to sailing and no one has booked them, then they open them up to whoever wants them.

The triple or quad cabins however can usually be booked by 2 people at any time. I did try to book a quad cabin for 2 people for our next cruise when we were onboard the Radiance this past February and the Loyalty Ambassador wouldn't let me so I just booked anyway and then when I got home, called RCCL and talked to someone that would let me.

My experience:

I called the day bookings opened to reserve a 3-person capicity aft-balcony with only two people. The RCI phone-rep said there was a block in the system that would absolutely prevent me from doing that. While I can't know for sure, my impression of this rep was that (1) he was an experienced rep who knew all the tricks and (2) he would have used those trickts to help me if he could. I don't think calling back and getting someone else would have helped.

His advice was to book a 3rd person in the room to get it locked up. He said system blocks are often removed later, so I could try back in several months to see if the system would let me drop that third person without losing the room. However, he did warn me that if it reached the point where all 3-person rooms were booked, the ship was still under capacity, 2 person rooms were avalible and somebody wanted a 3 person room, we might get our room taken from us.

My experience:

I called the day bookings opened to reserve a 3-person capicity aft-balcony with only two people. The RCI phone-rep said there was a block in the system that would absolutely prevent me from doing that. While I can't know for sure, my impression of this rep was that (1) he was an experienced rep who knew all the tricks and (2) he would have used those trickts to help me if he could. I don't think calling back and getting someone else would have helped.

His advice was to book a 3rd person in the room to get it locked up. He said system blocks are often removed later, so I could try back in several months to see if the system would let me drop that third person without losing the room. However, he did warn me that if it reached the point where all 3-person rooms were booked, the ship was still under capacity, 2 person rooms were avalible and somebody wanted a 3 person room, we might get our room taken from us.

We had the same experience with these cabins. Twice the agent checked with the revenue department and had them released for us. We were onlybooking it for 2 people. We did not lose the room eiher time. Third time we were allowed to book it for only 2.

Thank you everyone for your input! :)

We (my dad and I) are currently booked into a hump cabin. The 3-people cabin I am interested in is 7388 on EOS and it's a very sought-after corner aft.

Sounds like it is certainly possible for two to book a 3-people cabin but it may take some work. So I have convinced my DH to come with us should we decide to switch. ;) If my dad and DH get on each other's nerves, one of them can stay on the balcony. :D

I also figure it depends on a number of factors or glitches in their computers. Last week, I booked myself (a solo traveler) on the April 29th Mariner Mediterranean 12 Night Cruise. I was going to book it online. The only cabin that the RCI website would let me book was a Family Oceanview cabin designed for 6 people. It was also giving me a pretty good TOTAL price of $2339. The website showed no other cabins available to me. Oddly enough, if I pretended I was 2 people, it offered me Balcony cabins for slightly more money, but not much. Thinking that something seemed odd about this, I called and did my reservation over the phone. Sure enough, the only cabin the agent could see in her system for one person was the 6-person cabin for the same price I saw it for on the web. So I grabbed it. She had no issues selling it to me. I'd probably rather have a balcony, but it looks like the cabin I got has 2 nice round windows facing the bow of the ship. So I'm happy. The agents kept saying "I've never seen anything like this".

Yes, 1 or 2 people can be booked into a 3 person cabin. I just booked one of the coveted aft/wrap balconies with just 1 person in the cabin. I have a friend going with me but she isn't ready to book yet and I didn't want to lose the balcony so I booked it for myself and will add her later.

Gina

It seems kind of strange that you can book 1 or 2 people in a triple when I have trouble booking a triple cabin for myself and 2 small granddaugters....if I do not book kinda of early they are already taken. I booked 7 -8 months out for my Oasis cruise and the only triple balcony available was $1000 more than the available double cabins (plus the additional $ for the 3rd person)....yes it was a D-1, but it was all that was available except suites that were totally out of my range!

I did ask if we could have a roll away bed...but no...not saying anything negative about people who book triples they do not need, but you would RCI would take this in consideration.

If you have a cabin you really want to keep, call RCL back and ask them to mark your reservation "Do not Upgrade". When we had 7688 and 7388 that's what I did because I wanted to keep those specific cabins - being gratuitously upgraded to a JS would not have been acceptable.

• 1 month later...

I had 7688 (E1) booked on Explorer for 2 passengers and just today had it taken away from me by RCCL when a family of 3 needed it. I knew this was a possibility, but hoped it would not happen :(. We sail next weekend. The ship is sold out. They did "upgrade" me to a D1, but it is nothing special. So, it IS possible to lose your cabin regardless what anyone says. :mad:;)

I had 7688 (E1) booked on Explorer for 2 passengers and just today had it taken away from me by RCCL when a family of 3 needed it. I knew this was a possibility, but hoped it would not happen :(. We sail next weekend. The ship is sold out. They did "upgrade" me to a D1, but it is nothing special. So, it IS possible to lose your cabin regardless what anyone says. :mad:;)

That's strange, isn't a D1 a triple cabin anyway?

That's strange, isn't a D1 a triple cabin anyway?

Oops! Sorry! My mistake! We were moved to a D2 and it is a double. So, in the end, I will live without my aft cabin ;) and I am happy that some family that would otherwise NOT have been able to sail at all, now has the BEST balcony on the ship! :p

But....I might pay them a visit and tell them they owe me a drink for holding that primo cabin for them until the last minute! :D (Just kidding!) I hope they have a wonderful vacation! As I know I will!

This past January I booked my upcomming Freedom cruise. I originally had two aft E1 cabins booked (7410 & 7408). Three people in one cabin and two in the other. The first rep I spoke to would not let me book two people in a three person cabin saying there was no way the system would allow it. I hung up, called back and spoke to a different rep who booked both cabins for me. When I reviewed the confirmations that were emailed the cabin with two people had TBD (to be determined) under the third person column. It also showed three deposits were charged to my credit card for that cabin :mad:.

I called back and spoke to a third rep who said I would lose the cabin if I removed the third person. It went up the chain a bit but I was eventually allowed to keep the cabin.

I did not make an issue over the additional deposit since I could not say for certain what amount the rep quoted as being charged to my card. I blame myself for being inattentive. They offered to refund the additional deposit however I decided to leave it on the reservation.

Funny thing is it all ended up being a waste of time since I ended up changing cabins anyway :eek:. A month or so later I decided have two connecting cabins was more valuable than having the non-connecting aft cabins.

I booked myself into cabin 1388 on the NV.....

I called a few weeks later to add my husband......that's when they told me it was a cabin for 3 people and the system wouldn't let her add my husband.

Kinda strange I could book it with just me,but now I wanted to make it a double I couldn't:confused:

I was starting to panic since I had booked it the day it opened and all that was left now were ones really far forward or aft(But not all the way on the stern).

The rep talked to the resolution dept and they did let us keep it.

I booked myself into cabin 1388 on the NV.....

I called a few weeks later to add my husband......that's when they told me it was a cabin for 3 people and the system wouldn't let her add my husband.

Kinda strange I could book it with just me,but now I wanted to make it a double I couldn't:confused:

I was starting to panic since I had booked it the day it opened and all that was left now were ones really far forward or aft(But not all the way on the stern).

The rep talked to the resolution dept and they did let us keep it.

Yes, I had to go through resolutions to book 7688 with 2 passengers too. But, in the end, when they needed it for 3 passengers, they took it (as they were entitled to, of course as it IS a triple cabin). So, keep checking your booking to make sure you still have 1388. I was fine right up until the week prior to my sail date. :(

Yes, I had to go through resolutions to book 7688 with 2 passengers too. But, in the end, when they needed it for 3 passengers, they took it (as they were entitled to, of course as it IS a triple cabin). So, keep checking your booking to make sure you still have 1388. I was fine right up until the week prior to my sail date. :(

I know I have to be on the lookout..........oh heck,they can give me a suite if they want it that bad:p

A few weeks ago, I called the day after the summer '12 Explorer itineraries opened up to book our cruise. I am traveling with a family group of 11. This includes my family of 5, my MIL, FIL, BIL, 2 SILs, and my nephew. I wanted to book 1388 (corner aft D-1)and 1377 (inside quad across the hall). I wanted to put my teenage boys in the inside, and DH, DD, and myself in the corner aft. 1388 is a triple room and 1377 is a quad. They told me that I needed to book an adult in the quad with the kids since they are minors. This left just DD and I in 1388. We would get extra keys once on board so DH had access to our cabin.

They told me when I called that I could book 1377, the quad, for 3 people. However, 1388 could not be booked for 2 people. I just said to the representative "That is not an acceptable answer. Can you check on that?" She put me on hold for a while, then came back to the phone and told me that she got it approved by her supervisor.

My MIL booked in the aft cabin next door. It is also a 3 person room. She told them that she needed to be next to us due to DD. They did not give her any hassle at all. My nephew is now booked in the quad inside with my boys and DH. His parents are down the hall.

I think that it depends sometimes on the agent that you get on the phone. Like PPs have said, they can tell you different things sometimes.

Archived