Buying pop in the ports

MemawB.

We are cruising to the Western Caribbean in twenty days. I have heard that the ships carry Coke products and wondered if one can purchase other brands in other ports we will be visiting and carry back onboard ship? Is pop expensive in the ports? And how much can you take back onboard the ship? I know you can carry on pop during embarkation, just wondered if it would be easier to get it at one of the ports if it weren't too expensive. Thanks for any information. :)

We have bought pop in the ports and yes we found it to be more expensive. There was one Mexican brand in Merida that was cheaper, but by the ports, the grocery stores I went to it cost more than at home. ... we bought it anyway.

We just buy a 2 liter, never heard there was a limit.

Mmmmmmmmm.....pop...we don't call it that in Texas, but I think I know what you mean. If you purchase at a grocery it will be reasonable. More if from a convenience store. Cokes from Mexico are much better than what you get in USA. They will allow you carry on a few 'pops'.:cool:

I was impressed to see your topic title as "pop". In Canada we call it "pop" all the time and it sounds so strange to hear it called, "soda".

On another note, are you not able to stop at a store on the way to the port and buy it before you sail?

Expensive is a relative question IMHO. If the question of whether you get Coke or Pepsi from a can or hose is the most pressing thing for you then I will say don't worry Coke can be found EVERYWHERE. If your fancy or must is Pepsi that too. Believe it or not I found it available for purchase on the great wall of china at a vendor a good long hike along the wall. For me at least the price was not expensive at all as I just had to have it so it was cheap :D

We are cruising to the Western Caribbean in twenty days. I have heard that the ships carry Coke products and wondered if one can purchase other brands in other ports we will be visiting and carry back onboard ship? Is pop expensive in the ports? And how much can you take back onboard the ship? I know you can carry on pop during embarkation, just wondered if it would be easier to get it at one of the ports if it weren't too expensive. Thanks for any information. :)

We have only taken a few at a time,

but I have to add...being southern as I am,

I have a hard enough time calling it "soda" :o

For me, calling it "pop" is out of the question :eek:

Tell me about it. I'm from Fl and I grew up calling everything coke. Later it became soft drinks. Now I just ask for each type by name, Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper. etc. The first time I heard soft drinks called pop or soda was when I went to North Dakota when I was 20. I had to ask what in the world it meant. Oh, by the way. They didn't know what grits were up there either. LOL :rolleyes:

Tell me about it. I'm from Fl and I grew up calling everything coke. Later it became soft drinks. Now I just ask for each type by name, Pepsi, Coke, Mountain Dew, Dr. Pepper. etc. The first time I heard soft drinks called pop or soda was when I went to North Dakota when I was 20. I had to ask what in the world it meant. Oh, by the way. They didn't know what grits were up there either. LOL :rolleyes:

Grits are a southern thang!

By pop, do you mean soda?

I think he's trying to say POT......:rolleyes:

OP.....Sir, YOU SHOULD NOT BE BUYING POT IN THE PORTS! NOR SHOULD YOU BE BRINGING IT ON BOARD! :D

Now.....if you want to buy soda in the ports......that's a different story :p

"Pop" meaning soft drinks, is strictly a northern thing. What's funny is they also use the term to mean "father". Now that is confusing. (To us Southerners, "pop" is what a balloon does.)

Back to cruising. I do not drink Coke and that's all the have on the ships (Hey!! Give us a choice!!), so we usually buy Pepsi at several ports of call and bring it back. Never had a problem, and it is really no more expensive than in most any resort area back in the States.

English 101:

Pop (a drink or your father)

Soda (a drink or that white stuff you bake with)

To/Too/Two (all sound the same, all mean something different)

Their/There/They're (same as above)

Grits (food or something to make stairs not so slippery)

It's no wonder English is so hard to learn for foreigners.

Some places will ask for more but A 12 pak of Pepsi or Coke should be around $5. You are allowed to bring it back on the ship.

Archived