Are rain pants advised on Alaska cruises?

WNCtourist

I understand about the need to layer and the need for a good rainjacket, but what about rain pants? I'm considering a whale watching tour on a smaller boat during our cruise and perhaps a dogsled tour (not the glacier version). Thanks for all the great advice available here!

I understand about the need to layer and the need for a good rainjacket, but what about rain pants? I'm considering a whale watching tour on a smaller boat during our cruise and perhaps a dogsled tour (not the glacier version). Thanks for all the great advice available here!

If you find or have ones that are more like athletic pants that are waterproof/breathable rather than the rubber or plastic bag type then they are multi-use. "Run up for a snack, workout, rainy day, keep in the pack, wear to the laundry while you are washing everything else you brought pants."

It depends on what you define as "rain pants." If you're talking about the thick, rubberish type, I would say no, you don't need them unless you're on an excursion where you'll be getting wet, and they would likely be provided. If you're talking about the type described by NHsnowpup, then I would say yes. :D We generally refer to those as "wind pants" and I take a few pair with me when we cruise Alaska. I wear them on fishing excursions or any excursion on the water or when it's drizzly out.

It depends on what you define as "rain pants." If you're talking about the thick, rubberish type, I would say no, you don't need them unless you're on an excursion where you'll be getting wet, and they would likely be provided. If you're talking about the type described by NHsnowpup, then I would say yes. :D We generally refer to those as "wind pants" and I take a few pair with me when we cruise Alaska. I wear them on fishing excursions or any excursion on the water or when it's drizzly out.

I think this is a good distinction. Or water repellent vs. waterproof.

I think a light pair of water proof pants are a great idea.

No need to take the ones that are quite thick which we have used in colder areas such as the ports that are fairly south in South America or other places such as Iceland, and Greenland.

Keith

No need for rain pants. Seriously.

Cheers and have a great trip!

Taters

I agree with Taters from Fairbanks. We lived in Juneau and never did own a pair of rain pants. Rain pants might be nice for some occasions but you will only be exposed to the weather for a few hours. Why does the song "Singing in the Rain" keep buzzing in my head?

Where do you find the athletic breathable/rain pants? I'm looking for some for my son....he's a big teen so I'd need a man's size. The ones I've seen would get wet pretty quick and stay that way or are not breathable.

I get mine at sporting goods stores. They're usually called wind pants or fishing pants. :) I like the fishing pants because they usually have more pockets.

It probably depends on what time of year you go but we used our rain pants twice during our July 2010 cruise in Whittier and in Ketchikan (during our Anan Creek excursion). If it is pouring rain in Whittier and you are doing the Prince William Sound cruise, then you will want to wear rain pants to stand outside on the deck. Otherwise, your pants will be drenched. We are very glad we brought them! More details on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Regarding breathable, water RESISTANT pants, I highly recommend convertible pants. I have REI brand and DH has Columbia but we bought them all at REI. They convert to shorts so it's like packing both shorts and pants! We actually converted to shorts in Skagway! We have since used these pants on many trips!! They are awesome!

If it is pouring rain in Whittier and you are doing the Prince William Sound cruise, then you will want to wear rain pants to stand outside on the deck. Otherwise, your pants will be drenched.

If that is the case, I will be inside and not outside on the deck. :D

If that is the case, I will be inside and not outside on the deck. :D

Then you'll be wasting the $100 you spent on the cruise! We were out on the deck and loved it! Got to see several glaciers calf right before our eyes, instead of behind a foggy window covered in water droplets!

Great advice midimarv, I found some yesterday. Thanks!

My son will wear shorts in weather that's low 50's so he needs something if we encounter rain. I found some that look like athletic pants so he can wear them for other reasons too.

Love the help from these boards!

Where do you find the athletic breathable/rain pants? I'm looking for some for my son....he's a big teen so I'd need a man's size. The ones I've seen would get wet pretty quick and stay that way or are not breathable.

We have a bunch of north face pants purchased from REI. They are great for many activities not just when it rains.

Great advice midimarv, I found some yesterday. Thanks!

My son will wear shorts in weather that's low 50's so he needs something if we encounter rain. I found some that look like athletic pants so he can wear them for other reasons too.

Love the help from these boards!

Glad it helped! :D

I have lived in the northwest for more than 65 years and have never owned a pair of rain pants and don't know anyone who does other than fishermen and construction workers. A pair of nylon wind pants maybe an idea but frankly they wouldn't be on the top of my packing list.

I did buy some waterproof pants for our upcoming trip to Alaska. I had water resistant wind pants for my first trip, but this time wanted waterproof. I found some nice waterproof, breathable pants and bought my DH and myself a pair. We are pleased with them. They are not heavy and will pack easily into our suitcases or backpacks. I looked for a long time before deciding on these. They have nice zippers at the bottom of the legs so you don't have to take your footwear off. They are missing pockets, but since we will be wearing these over other pants with pockets we will be just fine. To get the pockets, zippers, breathable and waterproof features, I was going to have to pay significantly more. I decided to give these a try and they look like they will work out very well. The reviews on them are very good. Only problem is they seem to be discontinuing them as there are only a few sizes left. I had to order the men's for myself, but they worked out perfectly. We are planning on being outside a bit and after the all day rains we experienced in 2008, we want to be sure we can spend as much time outside as we would like.

Here is the link if interested:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56419?feat=2-SR0

Following the advise seen here I found our convertible fishing pants at Dick's sporting Goods in Ocala over the weekend. The lady putting up stock in the store called them "fishing" pants so I got the right kind. They are nice and comfy with lots of pockets and we figure these will be used in the future for beach trips and future cruises. Got us each one pair that are similar and then I found another pair for me in another store on a super sale.

I also found some waterproof hiking shoes in the 2nd store that look like modern tennis shoes that were incredibly comfortable and only $10. more than the sneakers I normally buy. I was tickled. I am now so ready for our Alaska trip in July! Can't wait for it to get here!

Archived