Summer airfares may climb 15%

Will Cruze

Every fall there is a sale though, and summer the prices typically rise, so I attribute a lot to that.

I find it "odd" that gas is at a all time high, though last time oil went to $150 before gas prices went as high as they are now... you would think there would be more of a relationship between oil prices and gas.

No one can answer why gas prices are rising so much faster than oil prices this time. I keep hearing gas is rising faster "because they can" charge more.

We had originally planned on a cruise from San Juan for a southern itinerary...but after reserving we saw the prices of airfare skyrocketed...so much that the flight was going to cost more than the cruise, insurance and tips combined for 2 ($1850).

Decided to just skip the southern itinerary and go eastern out of Miami. $450 total round trip for 2 people.

I booked flights for the fall in February, they are now already $100pp more than when I booked, and I'm sure they will go up more this summer. I have all my air travel booked until christmas at this point.

Same here - Dec. and Feb. cruise air booked the day the air opened. And yes, the fares have gone up quite a bit in the past few days.

Same here - Dec. and Feb. cruise air booked the day the air opened. And yes, the fares have gone up quite a bit in the past few days.

If you have flights you know you'll need this calendar year, I don't see any upside to waiting.

I booked my airfare in February for $271 per person from NJ to Tampa and I thought it was high then because in the past I was able to get roundtrip airfare under $200 per person. I just check my exact flights I booked in February and it is up to $731 per person :eek: That is CRAZY!!!! Boy am I glad I didn't wait to see if they would go down.

I got lucky, used my air miles and got 1st class round trip from Syracuse to San Juan for $45.00 for my November cruise. Still have to buy airfare for our August cruise out of Miami. I hoping to use my $99 companion vouchers for that flight. Looking at $726 vs $1344 for the three of us.

I remember last year airfare from Syracuse to Miami in August was $89 each way. Guess I won't see that this year.

I booked my airline tickets for my Sept cruise last week.

I normally wait and watch the pricing trends, but this time I decided to book it right away in view of the fact that gas prices are still rising.

If you have flights you know you'll need this calendar year, I don't see any upside to waiting.

I never wait. As soon as I book my cruise, I get my travel insurance 5 minutes later, (pre-existing conditions in my family) and my hotel 5 minutes after that. (use points, so it is free for hotel) I watch my air and book it as it opens, and have not gotten "burned" by prices lowering yet. We travel during school holidays - I actually think I got the Feb. President's week air before AA realized it was a school holiday here in the NorthEast. It has skyrocketed since I got it! I know it is a crap shoot with air - but so far we are waaaay ahead!:)

I booked my airfare in February for $271 per person from NJ to Tampa and I thought it was high then because in the past I was able to get roundtrip airfare under $200 per person. I just check my exact flights I booked in February and it is up to $731 per person :eek: That is CRAZY!!!! Boy am I glad I didn't wait to see if they would go down.

Same here. We live in the burbs of Chicago, but booked flights out of Milwaukee to FLL in January for July and paid $270. Today the same tix is $532! We needed 4 tix. So glad I bought when I did. Saved $1048!

we are all getting the royal rip off these companies make billions in profits

we all need to vote these folks out of office because they are not looking out

for our best interest but there self interest

$4 a gallon is to much with minimum wage being $7.25 and hour

this economy is in bad shape.

you will see prices go down next year when election time rolls around

time to become less dependent on other conutries and drill for our own oil

the govt is selling us all down the river

Same here. We live in the burbs of Chicago, but booked flights out of Milwaukee to FLL in January for July and paid $270. Today the same tix is $532! We needed 4 tix. So glad I bought when I did. Saved $1048!

I booked three tix out of MDW to MCO for $1012 on Southwest last December using the "Wanna Get Away" fares for the end of May. I kept checking daily and because of the "no change fee" I was able secure a credit of $57 pp.

i have a year to use it. :cool:

In march we bought our airfare for our september cruise. Manchester, NH to Tampa. Each way was $104 per person.

The cost now for the flight home is $192. That is a hike of $88 per person.

So glad we bought it when we did.

we are all getting the royal rip off these companies make billions in profits

we all need to vote these folks out of office because they are not looking out

for our best interest but there self interest

$4 a gallon is to much with minimum wage being $7.25 and hour

this economy is in bad shape.

you will see prices go down next year when election time rolls around

time to become less dependent on other conutries and drill for our own oil

the govt is selling us all down the river

You should have dumped money into BP and Exxon stocks a year ago. If you can beat'em, make some cash off'em.:)

In march we bought our airfare for our september cruise. Manchester, NH to Tampa. Each way was $104 per person.

The cost now for the flight home is $192. That is a hike of $88 per person.

So glad we bought it when we did.

Manchester is such a nice airport, too. We usually look at Manchester before Portland, but now that SouthWest is coming into Portland, that should make things easier.

We just bit the bullet on air to SJU I hated it , cruises were a almost as cheap as the air . :eek: If it had not been for the fact we are traveling with friends that were so looking foward to a southern caribbean cruise , I would have switched to a Florida cruise. This is our 4th out of San juan so nothing new the most I have ever payed for air out of Columbus is $400 this year $550, and no signs of it getting any better.

Archived