Saying for the day--perspectives on life

timothy998

One of the guys I went to high school with made a comment today that made a lot of sense...and can be applied to situations we encounter every day...and to which I have paraphrased and added my twist:

"No matter how badly my day/trip/life is going, I can always read far enough on facebook/twitter/blogs/cruisecritic about someone who is having a far worse day than I."

One of the guys I went to high school with made a comment today that made a lot of sense...and can be applied to situations we encounter every day...and to which I have paraphrased and added my twist:

"No matter how badly my day/trip/life is going, I can always read far enough on facebook/twitter/blogs/cruisecritic about someone who is having a far worse day than I."

This is a "High Tech" version of a saying my dad always used.

"If you think you have it so bad , walk up to any 10 people you see and strike up a conversation . before you know it you will be feeling pretty good about yourself."

A couple of months ago when considering our now booked Med cruise we were reminded of the favorite saying of a lady my wife and I worked with a couple of years ago. While it didn't originate with Leslie she often said "If not now when?" when asked about her sometimes adventurous lifestyle. From taking ballroom dance lessons to driving her little sports car to hiking through Europe to doing a six month tour of duty in Afghanistan to support our soldiers Leslie was always off doing something. In the spring of 2008 Leslie suddenly became ill and it was discovered she had stage-4 colon cancer. At the relatively young age of 52 Leslie was unable to overcome that challenge and I remember at her memorial service the small little card on some flowers...."If not now when?"

A couple of months ago when considering our now booked Med cruise we were reminded of the favorite saying of a lady my wife and I worked with a couple of years ago. While it didn't originate with Leslie she often said "If not now when?" when asked about her sometimes adventurous lifestyle. From taking ballroom dance lessons to driving her little sports car to hiking through Europe to doing a six month tour of duty in Afghanistan to support our soldiers Leslie was always off doing something. In the spring of 2008 Leslie suddenly became ill and it was discovered she had stage-4 colon cancer. At the relatively young age of 52 Leslie was unable to overcome that challenge and I remember at her memorial service the small little card on some flowers...."If not now when?"

Randy - Thanks for sharing this.

After that touching story (hooray for Leslie for living with purpose!) ours is certainly less well lived. However, it is with some frequency that DH and I comment - we wouldn't trade our troubles for nobody's.

Poor grammar, undoubtedly, but you get the idea. We are grateful for the fortunate life we enjoy.

Leslie got it right. You never know what tomorrow will bring so living her motto of "If not now when?" allowed her to do many of the things she wanted to before she could do no more. I tend to live the same way. There is, however, a small voice in the back of my head constantly asking me if I'll have enough money for later in life. My answer to that little voice is I don't know how long I'm going to live but I have enough money to live my life now. I'll worry about the "later in life" when and if it happens.

I'm not playing baseball so the "what ifs" don't enter into my life plan. Go, do, see, enjoy while you can. :D

I've always liked this one attributed to Mark Twain. And it fits cruising to a "t".

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.

So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover."

Although we can take but one vacation a year DH and I manage,to plan a great trip. every year.Even when money is tight(which it has been several times) we go.Many have been cruises,which we really love.When I was younger,I always recall my parents and their friends saying When we retire we are planning on going.....For so many different reasons these people didn't make their dreams come to fruition.

• 1 month later...

I cannot walk too far at a time, and use a cane when in strange country or know I'll be on my feet for a long time. If I start feeling sorry for myself I just remember all the people I've met on cruises who are in a wheelchair and/or have tubes in their nose and think "I have no riight to feel bad, do something!".

Thanks to all those who teach by example.

I cannot walk too far at a time, and use a cane when in strange country or know I'll be on my feet for a long time. If I start feeling sorry for myself I just remember all the people I've met on cruises who are in a wheelchair and/or have tubes in their nose and think "I have no riight to feel bad, do something!".

Well said! No matter where one goes on Cruise Critic, one finds thinly-veiled derogatory comments about the number of walkers, wheelchairs, canes and/or scooters. Instead, like you, I appreciate "those who teach by example" for living their lives to the fullest they can.

Where I work at the University we have a children's hospital next door. This is a major regional care location and most of the time the sickest of the sick kids end up here. Whenever I get down and start to feel sorry for myself I take a short walk over there and wander around the hospital for 10-15 minutes. Two things always happen; first the walking helps and two after seeing those kids, anything that was bothering me seems to go away.

I have adopted the saying "if not now when" after I saw it on the boards a few weeks ago. After all of our medical scares this last year (DW cancer, and spine surgery for me), my perspective on much has changed. I saw this quote below and along with "if not now when" I am finding some new meaning to day to day living.

Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save. ~Will Rogers, Autobiography, 1949

I now what I want to do......stare at the ocean at sea (along with one of those drinks with an umbrella).

One of the guys I went to high school with made a comment today that made a ..."No matter how badly my day/trip/life is going, I can always read far enough on facebook/twitter/blogs/cruisecritic about someone who is having a far worse day than I."

Nah.

They are usually just complaining about nothing.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

Nah.

They are usually just complaining about nothing.:eek:

Smooth sailing...

LOL! Too true.

Whether sailing aboard ship or sitting at home at the computer, they can't escape the fact that:

"Wherever you go, there you are."

;)

What wonderful life philosophies shared here today. Thank you all.

I and DH suffered a great many losses in our families, a number at very young ages, and we adopted the attitude of "do it now, there might not be a tomorrow" many years ago. We've been blessed to have done a great deal of amazing travel and have been and gone and done and now are grateful. It is harder to travel today, I've had some illness and age marches on. I need my 'comfort zone' these days and have no regrets for all we did for so many years.

That being said, we are so lucky we still can pack our bags, head to an airport and ship and still have incredible vacations. We've just modified the destinations and durations etc

How many never get to do any of these fabulous things and see the amazing sights and mostly meet the wonderful people along the way?

We, here, are all blessed. We get to 'go'.

The many posts here are so true and I agree with them.

A good example - my old boss has LOTS of money put away and likes to travel, but his wife has problems that restrict them from traveling, so he has to stay around home.

DaveOKC

My DH has has heart issues and bouts of skin cancer. After his first heart issue we decided we would travel and make memories to talk about when we can not travel anymore. We try and vacation 2 or 3 times a year when our vacation from work allows. We are thankful for every day as we have friends our age that have passed away so many years ago. If you think about it, there is always someone somplace that is having worst problems than a little skin cancer. The saying I like to remember is Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Hi Taxguy! I remember you from our Rotterdam transatlantic - seems to me you did just fine enjoying yourself on that trip! Keep up the great attitude! (and regards to your lovely wife!)...

Carol

How true!!

While DH and I are concerned about will we have enough money to last out our lifetimes, he keeps reminding me that "there are no pockets in coffins" and "we're building memories which are priceless."

Years ago, a friend used to say:

"I've never seen a hearse towing a U-Haul." ;)

Archived