Decisions, Decisions

jodisue

I know that this is going to be so much up to individual choice, but I wanted to solicit any thoughts you all have.

Hubby and I are trying to decide between two cruises, both Princess. We've cruised on Celebrity and HAL before, so I really know very little about Princess and their ships.

We are trying to decide between a July 9th sailing (7-day) on the Crown Princess (Norway Fjords) and a July 19th sailing (9-day) on Caribbean Princess to Canada/New England.

I know that the two itineraries are vastly different, but for us we are mainly in it for the cruising aspect of things and the fact that both itineraries would allow us to see places we've never been makes the decision very difficult.

The reason Canada/NE would be more appealing would be the fact that we don't have to fly to the embarkation port which takes a lot of stress and expense out of the overall trip. The reason Norway would be more appealing would be mostly for the scenery and the fact that it's a more "exotic" location. But then again, the Canada iternerary is 2 days longer, which means more cruising which is never a bad thing. Ugh, you can see how we are waffling here.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but any thoughts that anyone has about the ships, cruising on Princess, or anything else would be very helpful. I am searching and browsing the board extensively too while trying to decide.

Thank you!

Just thinking ahead. Norway is some place you want to see. You will not get any younger, and the stress of flying will not get any easier with advancing age. Do the distant cruises while you can, save the ones near home for later. EM

Wow, comparing Apples to Oranges!

Did you check out the air fare to Norway? Do you have the extra vacation time to travel to Norway? I would recommend a pre-cruise stay at least.

If you are looking to just enjoy a cruise, I would pick Caribbean Princess Canada New England. Ships are very similar. You will have time to enjoy it. In Norway, you probably won't have many sea days or ship time. Essiesmom, has a fact right about "advancing age" if that applies. I'm doing the British Isles and celebrating my 64th birthday. Traveling is just not as easy as it once was. I live in New England and have cruised on the Caribbean Princess. You can rent a car in Maine, Canada, etc. and drive around at your leisure.

Good Luck.

Like NanaTravel, I also live in New England. I probably will never do the New England sailing because it's more feasible for us to drive anywhere in N.E. BUT, if I were looking at a N.E. cruise, I would choose a fall sailing during foliage season. I agree with others, do Norway now while you can. This is why we chose the Baltics for our next in 2012. It will be our 35th anniversary and we're not getting any younger.;)

I know that this is going to be so much up to individual choice, but I wanted to solicit any thoughts you all have.

Hubby and I are trying to decide between two cruises, both Princess. We've cruised on Celebrity and HAL before, so I really know very little about Princess and their ships.

We are trying to decide between a July 9th sailing (7-day) on the Crown Princess (Norway Fjords) and a July 19th sailing (9-day) on Caribbean Princess to Canada/New England.

I know that the two itineraries are vastly different, but for us we are mainly in it for the cruising aspect of things and the fact that both itineraries would allow us to see places we've never been makes the decision very difficult.

The reason Canada/NE would be more appealing would be the fact that we don't have to fly to the embarkation port which takes a lot of stress and expense out of the overall trip. The reason Norway would be more appealing would be mostly for the scenery and the fact that it's a more "exotic" location. But then again, the Canada iternerary is 2 days longer, which means more cruising which is never a bad thing. Ugh, you can see how we are waffling here.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, but any thoughts that anyone has about the ships, cruising on Princess, or anything else would be very helpful. I am searching and browsing the board extensively too while trying to decide.

Thank you!

Tough choice! I would love to do the Norway one. If I go to Euope I like to go for at least 12 days or more because of the airfare. Since you like the cruising why not do a transatlantic? Whatever you choose I know you will have a fantastic trip!

You stated it clearly: it is a personal choice.

For me, Next to a world cruise, Norway is second on my wish list. Having said that there is no way I would travel across the Atlantic for just a 7 day cruise. If you have other plans so be it, but to fly, then cruise and return would be out of the question IMHO.

If you have the time and can afford it, go for Norway now. Nobody is getting younger. Airfare alone is expensive but plan a pre and post cruise trip to make it more worthwhile. Do it while you are still working and save the trips closer to home when you retire (that's when most people really watch their expenses). :)

The scenery in Norway is awesome. It was one of our favourite itineraries. The flight is long so if you do this go early and be sure you are not jetlagged for the cruise. The fiords there are the best we have seen (been to New Zealand, South America and Alaska).

Whichever cruise you decide on, enjoy. Both itineraries are great!

Well, DH and I sat down, crunched the numbers read the replies, took a poll at his work (lol), thought about what we really wanted from this trip and decided on doing Canada. Like wilfros mentioned, we decided that a 7 day Norway cruise was just not enough time to really enjoy the whole trip and staying very many days on either side of the trip in London wasn't feasible for a variety of reasons.

So, we can take the Canada cruise, afford a balcony with what we would have spent on airfare to London, have two more nights on the ship, and do a few more things that I wanted excursion-wise and on the ship.

I really wanted Norway too, but I think we can save our pennies for a bit longer so that we can afford a longer itinerary and more time on shore. :) Thanks everyone for your input. :)

I was also looking for help on making trip decisions. Why do we need a second thread?

Because you are off topic here on someone else's Princess related thread.;) The link mentioned will take you to the northwest port forum where you an post your question and find plenty of help with your question about Seattle hotels. Hope this helps.:)

Well, DH and I sat down, crunched the numbers read the replies, took a poll at his work (lol), thought about what we really wanted from this trip and decided on doing Canada. Like wilfros mentioned, we decided that a 7 day Norway cruise was just not enough time to really enjoy the whole trip and staying very many days on either side of the trip in London wasn't feasible for a variety of reasons.

So, we can take the Canada cruise, afford a balcony with what we would have spent on airfare to London, have two more nights on the ship, and do a few more things that I wanted excursion-wise and on the ship.

I really wanted Norway too, but I think we can save our pennies for a bit longer so that we can afford a longer itinerary and more time on shore. :) Thanks everyone for your input. :)

Your decision is made but just want to say that each and everyone that answered you were right on.

We did Norway 1999 and always wanted to return as it is so beautiful Fjords. We are doing it this July with a b2b including the Bristish Isles. Maybe you could do something like that when the time comes. I don't think you can compare the 2 type of cruises you want to do. You just have to choose which one is first and I see you think Canada is your choice at this time.

When you do Norway do the longer of the cruises, that was our first trip the seven day would just be to short if you have never been.

Good Luck

Because you are off topic here on someone else's Princess related thread.;) The link mentioned will take you to the northwest port forum where you an post your question and find plenty of help with your question about Seattle hotels. Hope this helps.:)

I thought the topic was "Decisions Decisions."

Archived