Recent cruisers: Spec. Restaurants?

Saruman

From the current "Cruise Answer Book" on the Princess web site:

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our passengers."

Specialty restaurants are not included in the request to observe the formal dress code.

This is no change in wording from what it has been for a couple of years.

The change to the website was princess removing the line that specialty restaurants were always smart casual then someone got written confirmation from Princess saying they were now formal on formal nights.

The change to the website was princess removing the line that specialty restaurants were always smart casual then someone got written confirmation from Princess saying they were now formal on formal nights.

We were on the Crown a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to try the specialty restaurants on formal nights to avoid having to pack a suit. I had heard that there might be a changeover going on within Princess to make the specialty restaurants formal on formal nights.

A couple of days before we left, I went onto Princess web site and saw as described in a post above, the specialty restaurants had been taken out of the wording on the web site, but since it didn't state they observed formal night either, it left it open to interpretation I suppose. Not sure why Princess would remove it and not be more clear.

Anyway, at the same time, I downloaded the .pdf version of the cruise answer book and it still had the wording about the specialty restaurants being smart casual on formal night. Again, why can't they get this right on their own web site.

Anyway, the end result was we booked the Crown Grill for both formal nights and went in smart casual clothing and were taken right in, in fact many folks dining those nights did the same thing I noticed. As an aside, I saw many men wearing shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops in the dining rooms on the smart casual nights. So at least at that time, the Crown was lax on all of it's dress codes for all venues.

Mike

Archived