DiCAPac Waterproof Cases

jt_83

Does anyone have experience with these? I have a Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd. It is a few years old, but it takes amazing pictures. There is not a waterproof housing made specifically for this camera. However, DiCAPac makes one that fits it.

Are they reliable? (Rated to 10-15m) Do they interfere a lot with the functionality of the camera?

I've had one for a few years, and occasional use - my experience has been that it is reliable, as long as you are careful enough when putting the camera in. I think if you take the time to ensure the zip seal is absolutely closed, then roll the inner fold tightly and velcro it securely, then roll the main tab and velcro cover over that - I've never had any leak issues.

It does make handling a little more awkward, to the degree that you probably wouldn't want to just leave your camera in the pack all day for regular shooting - controls are a little more awkward to get to as you are pressing them through the plastic, the 'feel' of the buttons is harder to discern since the plastic layer is between, and the LCD screens can be a little harder to see though. Also, you sometimes need to make sure the camera lens is properly lined up to see through the optical plastic lens section - you will lose a wee bit of resolution or detail since you are adding the plastic lens to shoot through...but for foul weather or for underwater needs, it certainly works well enough and for very little money.

I got a model WP-310 for my Fuji F30 backup P&S. I tested it in and out of water (in a tub) to make sure there were no leaks AND to get familiar with operating the camera through the case - as mentioned by the previous poster, the feel is quite different.

Took a lot of underwater (snorkeling) pictures during our Caribean cruise last February. I am very please with how the pictures turn out.

Overall, must say that the DiCAPac does well for what it is intended to do at a reasonable cost.

My son has one, but I am not sure I would trust my camera in one. Before I bought a bona-fide waterproof camera, I used a FantaSea housing.

The problem with the purpose-built housings like FantaSea is it's hard to find a housing for your camera, or vice versa. Since camera models change so fast, it's hard to keep up with them by the 3rd party housing manufacturers, I suppose.

I used to be a little nervous with my little P&S in the DiCaPak...but like you, I've got quite a few digitals lying around, and I use my DSLR or Mirrorless 99.997% of the time now, so the little P&S is really more of an extra cam now...I have lost any hesitation to stick it in the waterpack, as it really wouldn't be a devastating loss at this point even if it did leak, and it can still do something that the bigger cams can't by going in the water in the first place (even if I had a waterproof pack for the bigger cameras, I simply wouldn't do it...that's where I draw the line on my bravery!).

I had a dicapac case and it works great. It is a bit difficult to operate through the plastic, but the camera stayed bone dry. The main problem is keeping the lens centered so you don't lose part of the shot.

I decided to buy a real underwater camera for my recent snorkelling trip in Bonaire. When I jumped in the water, the battery case opend up and flooded the camera- a brand-new camera was shot on it's third day. I bought a Fuji and it has a terrible battery latch. My sister has an Olympus and it has a locking mechanism to prevent a similar mishap. Luckily, my memory surviived about an hour of salt water exposure, so I didn't loose my pics.

Anyway, I went back to the DiCapac for the rest of the trip.

I have used the DiCaPak with my olypmus stylus 1000. We have never had any water get into the bag ad has taken decent shots.

Yes turning the dial is very difficult, and to see the lcd screen underwater is very hard. At lot of times I was shooting blind.

The biggest issue that I had with it is if the camera lens is not perfectly centered you end up with shots like this.....with the black circle around the pictures

2306185260102143995S500x500Q85.jpg

2213023290102143995S500x500Q85.jpg

Since this is an older camera and we have 2 upcoming cruises, I did actually just purchase a canon powershot d10. Waiting on its delivery. I didn't want to deal with bad pictures again.

Archived