Passports

Taz

On another thread, someone mentioned that being in a suite was really nice because they "didn't have to go to the front desk to pick up their passports" and that raised a question for me.

HAL doesn't attempt to make passengers surrender their passports upon boarding, do they? I'll of course need mine for my upcoming Alaska/Canada adventure, but my policy is that my passport remains in my possession/under my control at all times. I've had a few hotels in Europe try this, but I refused each time.

I've had a few hotels in Europe try this, but I refused each time.
We only had to surrender our passports at check-in on our East Med cruise, and on the Baltic the one night before St Petersburg Russia. This is not HAL's choice - it is required by some of countries in the world. I believe if you refused to turn over your passports, HAL would have to deny boarding.

Taz,

KK's response agrees with my experience. It depends on the countries you are visiting whether or not you surrender your passports to the cruise line or not. Alaska Canada cruise - no.

I do understand your concern if you have not cruises a lot to other continents. When we first had to do it in the 80s on a cruise I was really nervous about it. Now 50+ countries later I prefer to hand the cruise line my passport - one less thing to worry about. It also makes port stops much easier if the local authorities want to see passports. They sit down with boxes of them, flip each open, stamp if they want to and go on the the next one. Other option in many countries would be for each passenger to stand in a line to have this done personally.

Some countries want to see you and your passport together. This usually means passengers getting up several hours earlier to stand in lines - no fun.

In my experience, if a passenger really wants to have their passport with them on a port stop when the cruise line has collected passports, you can sign it out for the day ONCE the ship has been cleared, but you must return it to the front desk before the ship leaves the port. IF a country requires you to carry your passport (Russia for example when I have been there, the ship will give you your passport for the day (or 2 days if staying overnight) and then again you must return them to the front deck before the ship leaves.

Always carry a copy of the picture page of you passport on a cruise, either to carry with you on shore OR to keep on the ship if you are carrying your passport in case you lose your passport.

This is just my experience over many cruises. But for Alaska & Canada cruises to date at least you just keep you passport.

We also have had our passports held by the ship a couple of times. As noted, this won't be an issue on an Alaskan itinerary.

I have made a reduced-size color copy of my passport signature and data pages. I have it laminated and keep it in my wallet. It isn't good for official use, but I've read where it's very helpful to facilitate replacement if the passport is lost or stolen.

We also have had our passports held by the ship a couple of times. As noted, this won't be an issue on an Alaskan itinerary.

I have made a reduced-size color copy of my passport signature and data pages. I have it laminated and keep it in my wallet. It isn't good for official use, but I've read where it's very helpful to facilitate replacement if the passport is lost or stolen.

I have also emailed myself a scanned copy of my passport's picture page so that I can get a copy of it if needed somewhere (just need computer access and a printer).

You may surrender passports sailing from New Zealand to Australia, or simply have a time on the at sea days between New Zealand and Australia, when Aussie immigration people will be onboard checking, and you will have to present yourself. Had it happen both ways.

We also had ours held on the Eastern Med portion of our cruise last year. I believe it is Turkey that requires it, as we got our passports back after we left Turkey.

Not surrendering your passport will mean an extended time (perhaps many hours)before the ship will be cleared in the ports of countries with these restrictions.

Several European countries require at minimum, a copy of your passport when you checkin at a hotel. Italy is one.

But as mentioned, you won't be giving up your passport on an Alaska cruise.

We have had to turn over our passports too - I really don't worry about it at all. We do keep a colour copy of each one in case we go to a duty free shop or whatever, but have no worries when the ship has them.

It's either your safe or theirs.

And yes, in Italy, they kept our passports for two hours until we were registered. Different countries have different rulse and you do have to accomodate the different places that you visit :)

Thanks for the info, everyone! Although I've traveled internationally, this is my first cruise and I'm happy to hear that I won't be asked to surrender my passport for Alaska/Canada.

Archived