RCCL Stock

There is no discount, you get OBC for owning stock. ... but if you bought it like I did years ago, its not worth anything as far as owning it for OBC because its now not combinable with most any other discount.

Please dont buy it for the OBC ... and again there is no discount.

There is no discount, you get OBC for owning stock. ... but if you bought it like I did years ago, its not worth anything as far as owning it for OBC because its now not combinable with most any other discount.

Please dont buy it for the OBC ... and again there is no discount.

Thank you for your help. I thought there was a small discount. Didn't realize it was for OBC. I can get that from my RCCL visa card and booking on board. Appreciate the help.

Shareholder OBC cannot be combined with balcony discounts or booking onboard, which is a bummer. On another note, with gas prices still rising, this is personally a time when I would not buy travel/leisure stocks ... but then again, that's me. :)

Shareholder OBC cannot be combined with balcony discounts or booking onboard, which is a bummer. On another note, with gas prices still rising, this is personally a time when I would not buy travel/leisure stocks ... but then again, that's me. :)

Got to agree.....I don't think that Royals second half numbers are going to be all that great....overloaded with ships in Europe and gas/airline prices sky-high.....TONS of inventory available for all summer sailings....US and Europe...that only = one thing....MORE PRICE DROPS on already reduced pricing. All the promos they ran didn't seem to put a dent into summer inventory.

Got to agree.....I don't think that Royals second half numbers are going to be all that great....overloaded with ships in Europe and gas/airline prices sky-high.....TONS of inventory available for all summer sailings....US and Europe...that only = one thing....MORE PRICE DROPS on already reduced pricing. All the promos they ran didn't seem to put a dent into summer inventory.

Perhaps it's just the cruises and/or stateroom categories I've picked, but I have several cruises booked between Aug 2011 and March 2012, and all I've seen are price increases. I've got an Adventure B2B booked for March 2012, and one leg has gone up $400pp and the other leg has increased $300pp since January. Royal has been increasing these about $100pp each month. Maybe there's a time lag and there will be cruise price decreases later, but I haven't seen it on my cruises yet.

Only time will tell whether or not your gloomy predictions will hold up, but how do you reconcile your claims with the complaint on another thread about price increases for a loft suite on Allure or Oasis, or with how quickly the 2012 westbound transatlantic on Jewel of the Seas has come close to being sold out in less than a month? At some point, pent up demand for a cruise vacation outweighs price concerns, and that point may be reached sooner than you or I expect.

YTD down almost 19%. :eek:

YTD down almost 19%. :eek:

You can prove almost anything you want to with statistics. It's all in how you look at something. The price may be down 19% for calendar YTD, but for the last 52 weeks, it is up 76%.

If you look only at the first number, you should sell (or not buy), but if you look only at the second one, you should mortgage the house and buy a lot. (For God's sake DON'T do that! :eek:)

But you should never buy stock just for a benefit like OBC. On some cruises with Celebrity (no offer that beats the OBC or I don't book on board) I can still use it so I am holding on to it for now. Since I have had the stock quite a while and gotten more in OBC that I paid for it, at some point, I will sell it and fund (or at least mostly fund) a "free cruise".

Last Trade:38.64

Trade Time:11:22AM

EDTChange:up_g.gif 0.56 (1.47%)

Prev Close:38.08

Open:38.24

Bid:38.63 x 100

Ask:38.64 x 2400

1y Target Est:52.87

Day's Range:37.95 - 38.73

52 wk Range:21.97 - 49.99

Volume:906,027

Avg Vol (3m):3,535,150

Market Cap:8.35B

P/E (ttm):15.39

EPS (ttm):2.51

Div & Yield:N/A (N/A)

Only time will tell whether or not your gloomy predictions will hold up, but how do you reconcile your claims with the complaint on another thread about price increases for a loft suite on Allure or Oasis, or with how quickly the 2012 westbound transatlantic on Jewel of the Seas has come close to being sold out in less than a month? At some point, pent up demand for a cruise vacation outweighs price concerns, and that point may be reached sooner than you or I expect.

:confused:....don't think that's me....never remember saying either...especially anything to do with the Jewel as I have never followed or even looked at that sailing.

Perhaps it's just the cruises and/or stateroom categories I've picked, but I have several cruises booked between Aug 2011 and March 2012, and all I've seen are price increases. I've got an Adventure B2B booked for March 2012, and one leg has gone up $400pp and the other leg has increased $300pp since January. Royal has been increasing these about $100pp each month. Maybe there's a time lag and there will be cruise price decreases later, but I haven't seen it on my cruises yet.

Aug is end of summer....most people travel June-July as Aug kids start right back to school...Pricing for Aug thru fall sailings started out MUCH cheaper than summer sailings...that is why you are probably seeing that with those sailings. Summer sailings were WAY WAY overpriced...I had been saying that for over 6 months....and look whats happening....we are seeing 7 nights on Liberty in Europe for $599/pp and Oasis/Allure summer sailings have dropped 50 % on many ...especially if you look at residency and fire/police and military.....military are giving some of those sailings away:eek:...as for 2012....thats to far out there. I watch pricing daily;)

If you want to talk prices going up.....my Oasis 12/31 has increased over 50% in the last few months....HOWEVER...I see this yearly. Those Christmas and NYE sailings get grabbed up with TA's with group bookings and it drives the pricing thru the roof....in the end they almost always come right back down or even lower ....those sailings you don't even wat to touch unless you get them when they first come out or with a TA that holds group pricing....otherwise wait it out...the inventory comes pouring back in around final.

Just remember, you can use the OBC on RCI if you do not get a balcony discount.

Also, it is good on Celebrity; they don't have balcony discounts.

Finally, you can get cash back for unused OBC before you debark.

Even if this is not fully reimbursed, you can get $197 for $200 in OBC. No, it's not a discount up front, but I'll take the money one way or another.

:confused:....don't think that's me....never remember saying either...especially anything to do with the Jewel as I have never followed or even looked at that sailing.

You didn't say either and I didn't mean to imply that you did. Someone else did but the two threads (Jewel and Allure) would seem to indicate that your generalizations are not shared by all and you obviously (since you haven't followed either thread) didn't take them into consideration when coming to your conclusions. Perhaps they are the exceptions that prove the rule or perhaps they are not.

You didn't say either and I didn't mean to imply that you did. Someone else did but the two threads (Jewel and Allure) would seem to indicate that your generalizations are not shared by all and you obviously (since you haven't followed either thread) didn't take them into consideration when coming to your conclusions. Perhaps they are the exceptions that prove the rule or perhaps they are not.

Got ya:)

But you should never buy stock just for a benefit like OBC.

Since I have had the stock quite a while and gotten more in OBC that I paid for it, at some point, I will sell it and fund (or at least mostly fund) a "free cruise".

Actually, at around $8 a share it was certainly worth buying it for the OBC.

$800 for an OBC on a TA of $250, plus the resulting capital growth, was a steal.

The downside risk at that point was minimal, considering the size of the OBC.

Actually, at around $8 a share it was certainly worth buying it for the OBC.

$800 for an OBC on a TA of $250, plus the potential capital growth was a steal.

That was a very narrow window and pretty unsettled times, but you are right. The risk -vs.- reward in that time was certainly better than it is now. It wouldn't take a lot for the market to dip enough to wipe out the $250.

That was a very narrow window and pretty unsettled times, but you are right. The risk -vs.- reward in that time was certainly better than it is now. It wouldn't take a lot for the market to dip enough to wipe out the $250.

You're right too, I wouldn't touch them now.

I have to agree with you; the spike in oil is going to hurt them big time both based on direct costs (fuel, food, etc.) as well as losing a large pool of potential cruisers (who are not able to afford the high airfares to Europe from U.S.). I sold most of my shares yesterday (though wish I had waited until today since it bumped up some). I definitely thing their earnings report next week will be a bit scary due to oil.

I definitely thing their earnings report next week will be a bit scary due to oil.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

It all depends on whether RCL has hedged their oil prices in the futures market.

Southwest Airlines was one of the few profitable carriers a couple of years back because they had the foresight to lock in prices by buying futures contracts.

Archived