Art Auctions 86'd...what's in their place?

Gr8Mariner

I think the OP asked what is in the space where the art for the auction was hung. We haven't been on an R ship since the art auctions were stopped, so someone else will have to answer. Of course there is no space on Marina for it, but it was planned that way.

I don't believe there was ever a dedicated space for the art auctions. Certainly, I felt they were "in the way" when they had them, and never missed them when they were gone. There is plenty of art around the ship; it's now tasteful, selected to complement the ship, and purchased at galleries on shore, like any good art should be, in my opinion.

There is a plain wall (if that is the proper word on a ship) covering the space where the art work for sale was displayed. We are also glad to see the end of these promotions ... even if O has to replace the revenue generated in some other way.

I think the OP asked what is in the space where the art for the auction was hung.

On the R ships the Club Ambassador has the desk that the art guy used to have on deck 5

I seem to recall the auction was held in the lounge :confused:

There is a plain wall (if that is the proper word on a ship) covering the space where the art work for sale was displayed. We are also glad to see the end of these promotions ... even if O has to replace the revenue generated in some other way.

Essentially, there was no revenue above costs -- the art representatives, etc., had to be housed in revenue producing cabins, and when art auction revenue dropped lower than costs, phhhttt!...the auctions were gone. Simple, really....

As previously stated, the Club ambassador now sits at the auctioneer's desk.

There were several storage closets for the art outside Martinis, in the hall, that are now pretty much empty except for some stored items.

On some cruises they used to be opened with art hanging on the walls and doors. for viewing.

As others have said, thank goodness all of this is gone, especially "Tiny Tim" and his shrill announcements.

Just got off the 19 day Marina crossing. Now they need to get rid of one more annoying feature.... the three times daily announcements over the loudspeakers telling us what activities are coming up. I don't need to hear that Bingo cards go on sale in fifteen minutes.

Just got off the 19 day Marina crossing. Now they need to get rid of one more annoying feature.... the three times daily announcements over the loudspeakers telling us what activities are coming up. I don't need to hear that Bingo cards go on sale in fifteen minutes.

That's NOT an improvement over the R ships. We leave on Tuesday on the Regatta and have always kept the announcements off in our cabin.

That's NOT an improvement over the R ships. We leave on Tuesday on the Regatta and have always kept the announcements off in our cabin.

The only announcements we heard in the cabin were for emergencies & muster drill

Other announcements are minimal compared to other lines

Since we're talking about petty annoyances onboard ship I'll mention mine. I really didn't appreciate most of the piped-in music in various venues. It's "muzak" really. Eating lunch at Waves or having coffee in Baristas with Olivia Newton John playing in the background is not cool to me. Sometimes I barely noticed the music, sometimes it was mildly annoying, and sometimes it drove me out the room or area. It does not in any way enhance my onboard experience.

But really that was pretty much the only complaint I had throughout our 19 day transatlantic on Marina. So I guess I'd say I had a pretty good time!

Archived