Ok to be late for dinner?

Buck64

We are sailing on the Legend in July and are looking forward to going under the Skyline Bridge. I've read where the ship goes under the bridge around 6:00 pm. The problem is we have early seating for dinner. Would it be a problem if we showed up about 15 min. late for dinner?

I don't think 15 minutes would be a big deal. Much beyond that might appear rude to your table mates and the wait staff. They would be taking orders at different times for the table and it just might screw things up a bit.

It is generally considered rude and inconsiderate to be more than 10-15 minutes late, as you will throw off the timing of service to your tablemates.

At some point, the MaitreD' will close the doors to the MDR.

On the Legend you can go to the dining room, place your order, tell your waiter you are going out to watch sailing under the bridge. There is an area on deck 3 that you can watch from. The better way to watch it is to wake up really early last morning and go up top when the bridge is lit up. That is really pretty.

I took a photo of the clock right before we went under 2 yrs ago when we were on the legend, 6:15pm... I would say 5 or 10 minutes late would be okay, ppl walk in about that time, but 6:15 - 6:20 and it really throws the waiters off. I didn't appreciate the whole timing issue until I took the behind the scene's tour on the Conquest last year, the galley is a well oiled, well timed culinary machine, and when people are late it really does throw things off. Hard to detail in small posting like this but they plate the app's, the dinners etc to order then breakdown for deserts then ramp back up for second seating. It is all about timing and they make it seem so effortless but it is a lot of hard work.....Here are some photo's

IMG_0552.jpg.a5c1f2441df175359afa00063d722353.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg.b6c3ae59671c559f23ec56dc7b5739b0.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg.25722ee3f7a6451f7f80fc27a685d6a7.jpg

IMG_0585.jpg.6ed0087c4d81a6ad7b6ef2d83e39e71e.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg.9e44910f8e3f31d7644062f99d35b283.jpg

For the first night I don't see a problem with being 10 minutes or so late, 15 minutes is pushing it. Just don't make a habit of it. On the other nights it is rude, plain and simple to the other guest at your table and throws the timing off for the staff. Others that could show up on time will be having to wait for you not knowing if you are coming or not. If you are planning on being late other nights, let them know ahead of time.

We had tablemates who were late every single night. Liked the girls but I found it extremely rude, but they didnt care. They were often more than 30 minutes late and clearly didnt know that 6 pm dinner meant if they were not there, I sat there and the waiter didnt take my order for 30 minutes until he kept giving up on them.

I think yes, its extremely rude. The first night people are confused, so not a big deal .. but every single night?

The ship will only go under the Skyway 6:15 - 6:30 IF it leaves the port of Tampa on time. We left a little late and it didn't go under until the 6:40 time frame. Personally if it were me, I would make a Steakhouse reservation for the first evening. Go see the Skyway then enjoy a great meal in the Steakhouse. There was a free-bottle-of-wine special going if you dine there on the first day so that would be an extra bonus. I would not however come to the MDR late. THe waiters try to put in the entire table's order at one time.

It is cruising etiquette to be on time for dinner.

You want the best from your waitstaff. You should do them the courtesy of not creating more problems for them. They already have a hard job they have no choice to accomplish in a set time period. In my opinion that wouldn't be the way I would want to start off my week of service.

You have other options for dinner rather than being 15 minutes late. That is order taking, and appetizer.

We are sailing on the Legend in July and are looking forward to going under the Skyline Bridge. I've read where the ship goes under the bridge around 6:00 pm. The problem is we have early seating for dinner. Would it be a problem if we showed up about 15 min. late for dinner?

no more than 15 minutes is acceptable.

When we sailed on the Holiday we had a table for eight. Four couples, none of us together. Every night one of the couples would not show up, and we had to wait at least 15 minutes every night before the waiters would start taking orders. If we know we are not going to be at dinner we tell the waiter, or other table mates ahead of time. That said, we still had a wonderful time, and it did not spoil our cruise at all. We had great table mates and enjoyed our dinners with them when they were there. Have a great cruise.

On one of our cruises there was a couple that sat at a table for 2 and every night they came to the dining room they were at least 25 min late. One time they were 45 min late and walked in just like that was no big deal. I was surprised that no one said a word to them about it. The wait staff had to really keep pushing to get them out of the dining room with all the other guests.

Back in the early days of cruising they would shut the dining room doors after 15 minutes. I wish they would go back to that practice. The first night things do run slower, but not 15 minutes slower, and there are no guarantees you will leave port on time.

I took a photo of the clock right before we went under 2 yrs ago when we were on the legend, 6:15pm... I would say 5 or 10 minutes late would be okay, ppl walk in about that time, but 6:15 - 6:20 and it really throws the waiters off. I didn't appreciate the whole timing issue until I took the behind the scene's tour on the Conquest last year, the galley is a well oiled, well timed culinary machine, and when people are late it really does throw things off. Hard to detail in small posting like this but they plate the app's, the dinners etc to order then breakdown for deserts then ramp back up for second seating. It is all about timing and they make it seem so effortless but it is a lot of hard work.....Here are some photo's

I just switched to Your Time dining thanks to your insight. On the Dream in November, 3 out of 4 of our port times end at 6. We were originally going to do early dining but I don't want to cut our days at port short but I don't want to throw off the staff if boarding takes forever. Thank you for this consideration!

Archived