Overstepping? - board idea

A "no" vote here. For all of the reasons already cited by others. For one, CC has enough technical problems that have gone on for years with no permanent solution without adding something else to the system.

For another, there are enough redundant posts on almost every thread often just to add to individuals' post counts without adding another way to win votes which some will look at as a popularity contest.

Seems to me that at one time there actually was a "rating" system here for posts or threads. I think it was reflected as a number of stars???? That disappeared a few years ago in one of the changes and probably for the better.

While admittedly not 'keeping up' with current social media mania, I fail to care, frankly, whether someone 'likes' something or not. Particularly in the context of an expression from random posters with whom I may have little in common, aside from a love of cruising. At this stage of my life, it just means nothing to me whether someone I don't know and will likely never meet, 'likes' something or not. I just don't get it, or see the point, but then again I am 47, not facebook savvy, so that may explain it!

People already give too much credence to number of posts. We don't need another measure that really doesn't offer worthwhile information. It's easy enough to get to know how a poster is without adding what could easily become a popularity contest.

Besides, by the time you see the poster's number on a post, you've already read it!

Nice try. Back to the drawing board. ;)

And this is coming from someone with 21,000 posts. :D

I do think a "like" would be nice. There are times somebody says something great that I would love to acknowledge -- because it was funny or insightful or just some great pics -- but I don't want to clutter things up with a post that offers or asks nothing.

we have this on another site that i belong to

i don't like it because the 'cliques' keep hitting the 'like' button for each other -- much of them on dumb things

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought about that. Junior high silliness would get old pretty quickly.

While admittedly not 'keeping up' with current social media mania, I fail to care, frankly, whether someone 'likes' something or not. Particularly in the context of an expression from random posters with whom I may have little in common, aside from a love of cruising. At this stage of my life, it just means nothing to me whether someone I don't know and will likely never meet, 'likes' something or not. I just don't get it, or see the point, but then again I am 47, not facebook savvy, so that may explain it!

I'm a lot younger at age 43 :) and somewhat facebook savvy, but just remarked to a friend of mine earlier today before reading this thread how utterly ridiculous I find the "like" feature found on Facebook and other sites. Who cares about such things unless one is interested in a popularity contest? For me, that kind of thing ended when I graduated high school and avoided fraternities in college. I'd much rather be respected than liked. Maybe we could have a "Respect" button instead?

I'm a lot younger at age 43 :) and somewhat facebook savvy, but just remarked to a friend of mine earlier today before reading this thread how utterly ridiculous I find the "like" feature found on Facebook and other sites. Who cares about such things unless one is interested in a popularity contest? For me, that kind of thing ended when I graduated high school and avoided fraternities in college. I'd much rather be respected than liked. Maybe we could have a "Respect" button instead?

Agreed. There is nothing I like about scrolling down again & again on FB since an "overuser" has repeatedly "liked" different things. If it were just a number it might be OK - but do not need to see everyone that agrees.

Although probably not a necessary feature to add to a discussion board, I think the concept has some merit.

'Liking' a post may imply several sentiments such as; 'I agree', 'that's very useful', 'that's interesting' etc.etc. and not necessarily a direct reflection of thoughts about the actual poster. I think it would be in response to the content of the post rather than saying how much you like the person who posted the post :p:D, and therefore less of a popularity issue than the reputation points that definitely seems to polarise people and support cliques.

It may also stop people copying a whole huge post and re-posting it (reply with quote) to simply add a few words such as "I agree". Drives me nuts when the same post is re-posted 6 times in one thread - especially really long ones - with pictures!! LOL.

Although probably not a necessary feature to add to a discussion board, I think the concept has some merit.

'Liking' a post may imply several sentiments such as; 'I agree', 'that's very useful', 'that's interesting' etc.etc. and not necessarily a direct reflection of thoughts about the actual poster. I think it would be in response to the content of the post rather than saying how much you like the person who posted the post :p:D, and therefore less of a popularity issue than the reputation points that definitely seems to polarise people and support cliques.

It may also stop people copying a whole huge post and re-posting it (reply with quote) to simply add a few words such as "I agree". Drives me nuts when the same post is re-posted 6 times in one thread - especially really long ones - with pictures!! LOL.

believe me - on the other site i belong to -- it is ridiculous to see the "clique" hitting the "like" button for each other time after time while others contribute -- sometimes with better/more information on the subject

at one point this other site also had a "thank you" button -- and that got out of hand as well -- and this "like" button is just the same thing

it discourages new people from wanting to continue with the site -- i got several PM's on that site from people that i had recommended to join and they said they would not be back because of these "thank you" and "like" showing up everywhere -- many of these "likes" were not even related to cruising!!

and it will never stop people from quoting

:)

I like the 'respect' idea a lot...or maybe, "I agree"....rather than the endless posts with the same answer!

I feel like a real dud sometimes that I can't even figure Facebook out.....(I know, I know, some of you are laughing uncontrollably:D) but I finally see what my parents were talking about all those years ago when I thought I would die if I couldn't see Van Halen, The Police or Village People live in concert. Never thought I'd understand it, but I must admit, I guess I finally do!

Although I use the like feature on Facebook I don't think it would serve the same purpose here.

I also feel it would discourage new posters and frustrate regular posters due to possible misuse of such a feature. It might also impede the normal function and speed of the boards. I don't know about anyone else but I still remember the "white screen of death" that used to appear constantly. I don't care to repeat that.

Gotta be fair and balanced, though. If there were to be a "like" feature, then there needs to be a "don't like" feature, too. At least that would give an opportunity to indicate when you don't like that endless string of repetitive answers, or other such replies.

Wonder how long it would take for that to degenerate.

I don't see what good a "like" button would do ... (can you imagine that on any of the smoking/MDR dress threads?) and it would tell you nothing about any actual information included in the comments.

I'd much rather see the date of the first post included with the thread title, so you could tell at a glance if someone was resurrecting a five-year old thread. I know I'm not the only CCer who starts reading through something that looks interesting only to find it's old & has become completely irrelevant!

Hi all,

So, I'm a new member (well, not a new member, but rather a formerly lurking, newly interacting member) and I have an idea for the board...

What if there were a "like" button for each post?

This way if something's particularly informative or hysterically funny or simply useful, users could "like" it (as on facebook)? Then members could have their number of "likes" included on their profile. People could establish some board cred with their "likes".

What do you think? Is there a feedback or suggestions place/e-mail contact that would be more appropriate for this question?

Thank you. Loving this HAL CC board and the wonderful folks who've been so helpful to me.

John

Clicks the invisible "like" button. ;)

I've often wanted to click like on here, and realized there isn't one LOL. I'd love it. yes, we have been trained by facebook. Sad, but true, so why not roll with the punches.

Archived