Dress Code Question

Ryancoke

OK, I know you can get away with just about anything in the dining room on formal nights. I do not like to get dressed up. My solution, I do not go the dining room on formal nights, period. I appreciate that many love the experience and I do not want to interfere with that. Simple.

Trey has the right attitude for those that do not want to do the Formal Night.

We have done cruises where we've done formal and a couple of others where we have left the glad rags at home.

Like Trey we keep well clear of MDR if not dressing up.

At least with Princess we get the choice, unlike some cruise lines where formal wear is compulsory in "all venues, all evening". That comes from a UK cruise line's dress code section.

Berwyn

Most men wear a tux or dark suit as requested by Princess.

Came back from the Emerald Princess April17 and on formal night in the Caribbean i did not notice any tuxcedos.(maybe,they were there,but didn't notice any,just suits or jacket and tie.Some wore t-shirs and caribbean flower shirts in main dining room and nothing was said to them.

I wore a dark grey suit,but next time i plan on not bringing any suit of any kind.Just caribbean flower type shirts,pants,shorts,bathing suit,etc

After 21 years of cruising,i am done with the dress up thing now for good.:)

It not so much as pushing a personal agenda about dressing down but more so to answer the questions of someone who is actually puzzeled about what one can dress down to & still not have to drag along all the formal clothing. Sure, there are loads of people still dressing to the recomended code, and they have every right, but at least Princess doesn't "require" everyone to do so & this board at least gives them the opertunity to decide for themselves what is approiate.

Appropriate? Formal is appropriate for formal events.

Smart casual is appropriate for casual events.

Anything else is rude.

Telling everyone to dress casual on a formal night should not be permitted on Cruise Critic. When Princess changes the dress code, they will advise cruisers, not posters here.

All of what I posted refers to the dining rooms. Princess offers casual venues on formal nights.

Then you are admitting that your original percentage statement was also rificulous?? Correct?

What exactly are you talking about? I didn't put out any "original percentage statement" You stated that 99% of people liked and looked forward to dressing up. :cool:

Appropriate? Formal is appropriate for formal events.

Smart casual is appropriate for casual events.

Anything else is rude.

Telling everyone to dress casual on a formal night should not be permitted on Cruise Critic. When Princess changes the dress code, they will advise cruisers, not posters here.

All of what I posted refers to the dining rooms. Princess offers casual venues on formal nights.

Once again you are correct and I agree with you. No one has responded to my question as to how they know that downdressing on formal nights is acceptable on all 17 Princess ships unless they have the ability to be on all 17 ships, all dining rooms and all sittings simultaneously..

Abd, if one reads the Princess Answer Book correctly the formal and casual dress code is not under the category of recommended dress on board. The recommended dress is in reference to daily dress during the day..

Came back from the Emerald Princess April17 and on formal night in the Caribbean i did not notice any tuxcedos.(maybe,they were there,but didn't notice any,just suits or jacket and tie.Some wore t-shirs and caribbean flower shirts in main dining room and nothing was said to them.

I wore a dark grey suit,but next time i plan on not bringing any suit of any kind.Just caribbean flower type shirts,pants,shorts,bathing suit,etc

After 21 years of cruising,i am done with the dress up thing now for good.:)

I was on the Emerald 3/28-4/7 and the dress code was followed by the majority of people in the dining room on formal night. Only a small number of people didn't dress appropriately.

No one has to do the dress up thing on the ship. Princess provides other venues for casual cruisers on formal night.

I was on the Emerald 3/28-4/7 and the dress code was followed by the majority of people in the dining room on formal night. Only a small number of people didn't dress appropriately.

No one has to do the dress up thing on the ship. Princess provides other venues for casual cruisers on formal night.

These dress code threads are very dangerous to get involved in. They are usually started by a troublemaker that just uses this forum as a game board.

also don't understand why many of the posters want to push their agenda and try to get others to start dressing down. And I also don't understand why only a few of us know how to read and understand the published dress code in the Princess Answer Book.

These dress code threads are very dangerous to get involved in. They are usually started by a troublemaker that just uses this forum as a game board.

also don't understand why many of the posters want to push their agenda and try to get others to start dressing down. And I also don't understand why only a few of us know how to read and understand the published dress code in the Princess Answer Book.

Perhaps they are tired of being in the minority. :D

I am interested in learning why there are any formal nights at all? It seems like this is an antiquated tradition from when going on a cruise ship was an exclusive event. Cruising is commonplace now. Why are people still pretending that they belong to some high society by playing dress up?

I am interested in learning why there are any formal nights at all? It seems like this is an antiquated tradition from when going on a cruise ship was an exclusive event. Cruising is commonplace now. Why are people still pretending that they belong to some high society by playing dress up?

The answer is YES - Please take the time to read the Princess Amswer Book. It has all the real answers in it. What you read here is mostly supposition.

Pretending? Playing dress up? Antiquated?

Gee, do people still go to proms? Do brides still wear long white dresses and grooms wear tuxedos? Are these considered antiquated traditions? Are these people pretending to belong to high society?

I enjoy dressing for an evening out with my wonderful husband. Princess provides the experience and we enjoy it.

.......Please take the time to read the Princess Amswer Book. It has all the real answers in it. What you read here is mostly supposition.

You will find the the information about dress (plus other items) on Princess cruise ships that I posted on page 3...on-line at princess.com in the FAQ section....Cruise Answer Place ...What to bring...Clothing Recommendations. You can confirm the wording and make up your own mind about what to take.

Just use this link:

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/bring.jsp

Click on Clothing Recommendations, read it and take what you will be confortable with based on what you read.

Once you have done your first cruise you will see that if you like to dress truly formal...in a tux and long gown for the ladies there will be people dressed like you. If you like something more in keeping with a nice restuarant in the US or most anywhere...nice slacks, shirt and sports coat or suit and nice pants outfit or short dress for the ladies, you will see plenty of people dressed like that also...all in the MDR, having a good time and getting along with each other. Plus you will probably see outfits that will make you wonder what the person was thinking! Princess ships offer really relaxed and fun cruising. Oneof the reasons is they encourge passengers to dress nicely through out the cruise, by not allowing some types of dress and encouraging, but not requiring others.

I can only speak to what we do and have seen on many more than one or two cruises on Princess. Of course, no one can say what everyone is wearing on the once weekly formal nights on every ship. But it is safe to say that if those of us posting really dress like we are saying, at least 2 or 3 posters wear tux/gowns and another 2 or 3 wear something less formal and eat in the MDR when on Princess. You don't have to eat in the MDR every night, there are other places, DH and I just happen to like the MDR.

The original poster asked a very simple question and I am never sure why this type of question has to always end up in this kind of a verbal brouhaha. Everyone who has posted in this thread has access to the Princess website where the dress code is set out....why the big debate?:confused:

The original poster asked a very simple question and I am never sure why this type of question has to always end up in this kind of a verbal brouhaha. Everyone who has posted in this thread has access to the Princess website where the dress code is set out....why the big debate?:confused:

You're asking people to read FACTS when they can get the answer they want to hear right here on this forum??icon7.gif Besides one has to know how to read first.

Pretending? Playing dress up? Antiquated?

Gee, do people still go to proms? Do brides still wear long white dresses and grooms wear tuxedos? Are these considered antiquated traditions? Are these people pretending to belong to high society?

I enjoy dressing for an evening out with my wonderful husband. Princess provides the experience and we enjoy it.

I would say yes. Brides are frequently playing dressup and kids going to the prom are pretending to belong to high society.

I actually thought it was a pretty healthy discussion about the reality of what is seen on a ship but a couple of zealots took it south. It's a shame these discussions can't take place in a civilized way. Yes, Princess puts it's dress code out there, does that mean there's no room to discuss what is actually worn to the dining room on formal night? I don't know why they become so personal, there's no need for any type of name calling or assuming people can't read, of course they can. They're stating what the reality is onboard and as well all know, it can be different from what's in black and white.

Archived