Dress Code Question

Ryancoke

I've not gone on Princess yet but this fall am considering it. I see that formal attire for men includes 'dinner jacket and slacks'. What is this? I want to follow the code and wouldn't push it into the what can I get a way with category.

I've not gone on Princess yet but this fall am considering it. I see that formal attire for men includes 'dinner jacket and slacks'. What is this? I want to follow the code and wouldn't push it into the what can I get a way with category.

Google "dinner jacket" and you will see some pictures.

"what can I get away with" sounds like what my kids do with me about rules :D

I've seen adults in everthing from tuxedos to kahki and a nice shirt without jacket.

Must be slow as no one has yet done a cut and post, they must be in church still ;)

A dinner jacket is white and worn with black slacks (usually tux pants).

Tuxedos and dark suits are the most common formal dress for men. :D

After reading this not sure what to do. My husband does own a tux but not a dark suit... I seemed to get the impression that most men are no longer wear a tux. He had planned on a jacket, tie and pant for formal night, but not a suit...

Do many men do this or would he be better off bringing the tux? He is fine with wearing a tux if what he has in mind is not acceptable.

After reading this not sure what to do. My husband does own a tux but not a dark suit... I seemed to get the impression that most men are no longer wear a tux. He had planned on a jacket, tie and pant for formal night, but not a suit...

Do many men do this or would he be better off bringing the tux? He is fine with wearing a tux if what he has in mind is not acceptable.

Most men wear a tux or dark suit as requested by Princess.

Most men wear a tux or dark suit as requested by Princess.
It depends upon the ship and location of the cruise. I brought my tux on our recent Mexican Riviera cruise. You can never go wrong with that. Even thought less than 10% were wearing tux and slight more in dark suits I didn't feel out of place. There were many men in dark shirts with or without tie. One of the less formal cruises I have been on. Our South American cruise on the Star was quite different with many more tux and dark suits and few if any shirts without ties. On a cruise out of San Juan there were a number of men wearing short sleeve Guayabera shirts on formal nights. Our Hawaiian cruise was also more formal. There is also the occasional jacket with kilts. I just don't ask them what they are wearing underneath!

The following is acceptable dress on formal nights regardless what is on the Princess website...

Tuxedo, Dinner Jacket, Dark Suit & Tie, Light Suit & Tie, Sport Coats, Slacks & Tie, Sport Coats, Slacks & no Tie, Military Dress, Kilts, Long Sleeved Shirt & Tie, and some "foreign formal outfits which I cannot name...

Have a great cruise.. :D

The following is acceptable dress on formal nights regardless what is on the Princess website...

Tuxedo, Dinner Jacket, Dark Suit & Tie, Light Suit & Tie, Sport Coats, Slacks & Tie, Sport Coats, Slacks & no Tie, Military Dress, Kilts, Long Sleeved Shirt & Tie, and some "foreign formal outfits which I cannot name...

Princess states its dress code on it's website and with reminders in the Patters. This is the acceptable category. Anything else is in "the what can I get a way with category" :D

Great list....!

Exactly the range we had on our recent cruises on Princess (over 20 years worth) including a portion of the would cruise in 2010. There are tuxs and suits, but there is an equal or larger number of slacks, shirt and jacket combos also.

Wear what you are confortable with from Largin's list and you will mix right in.

My husband only travels with a jacket, slacks, dress shirt and tie for formal nights now and if there are many men with out a tie on the first formal night, he ditches the tie after that.

Have a good cruise!

If your husband owns a tux there is no better time or place to wear it. Trust me. Tell him to wear the tux!

Just returned from cruise on Coral Princess, while there were some men wearing "formal wear" such as Tuxedos, most we wearing dark suit or sports jacket with shirt and tie. And if you do not feel like dressing up for the evening you can always skip the regular restaurants and hit the buffet where even shorts at night is acceptable.

Enjoy the cruise. the staff was fantastic and the food was great. Try to eat in Sabatini's one night. It will cost you $20 a person, but the food was and service was even better than in the regular dining rooms..

Remember you do not have to dress formal to eat in the Specialty Restaurants like Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Sterlings on formal night..

To double check, go to Princess.com and download the latest Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Scroll down to page 28, "Onboard Dining & Nightlife" and look at the lower right hand corner of the page under "Casual Dining Venues"

This is what it says..

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24 hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the Pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill or 24 hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.” :)

Remember you do not have to dress formal to eat in the Specialty Restaurants like Sabatini's, Crown Grill, Sterlings on formal night..

To double check, go to Princess.com and download the latest Princess Cruise Answer Book.

Scroll down to page 28, "Onboard Dining & Nightlife" and look at the lower right hand corner of the page under "Casual Dining Venues"

This is what it says..

"When a casual mood calls, you have plenty of choices even on formal nights. Whether it be one of our specialty restaurants, the 24 hour buffet at the Horizon Court, the Pizzeria, burger & hot dog grill or 24 hour room service, you’re able to choose how you dine with us.” :)

We were on the Sapphire Princess April 9 cruise. On the first Formal Night the Patter stated “Evening gowns, cocktail dresses or trouser suits for ladies. Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets or suits with a tie for gentlemen.” That was followed by the statement “Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our Casual Dining option in the Horizon Court.” There was no mention of the Specialty Restaurants.

No matter what was said in the Patter, the actual “formal’ dress for gentlemen was as Largin described. From what I could see there were less than 10% of men wearing tuxedos and not many more wearing suits. There were a large number of men in the Pacific Moon DR wearing just a shirt and tie and some men were also wearing a shirt with no tie.

I'm happy to report that most people still dress with at least a suit jacket BUT if you care to dress down on formal evenings to as little as a short sleeve shirt with dress pants and without the jacket or tie you will still be admitted to the dining room without a blink of an eye.

They allow just about anything to make the customers happy no matter what they print in their statements. ;)

There were shorts worn on casual evenings in the main DR even though they do print they're not acceptable.

A sport jacket is absolutely fine. The dress code is a recommendation...not an out and out rule. I do see anything from tuxes, suits, sport jackets or a dress shirt with a tie. I have actually seen polo shirts on men on formal night -- without a tie but this is a rarity. I have seen women with black jeans with a tank top and a sparkly belt (that's the formal part I guess). My DH no longer takes his tux as we try to limit the amount of luggage we take on any cruise. If we are not allowed into the formal dining room, we would just eat elsewhere but have never been turned away...NOT ever.

I'm happy to report that most people still dress with at least a suit jacket BUT if you care to dress down on formal evenings to as little as a short sleeve shirt with dress pants and without the jacket or tie you will still be admitted to the dining room without a blink of an eye.

They allow just about anything to make the customers happy no matter what they print in their statements. ;)

There were shorts worn on casual evenings in the main DR even though they do print they're not acceptable.

Is this acceptable on all ships in the fleet? Is it published somewhere in the Patters oe answer book?

As we know, there is a wide gulf between policy and procedure; between what Princess says and what Princess enforces.

It seems that "enforcement" is at the whim of each ship, dining room, swimming pool, theatre staff/mgt. Any attempt to keep everyone happy is doomed to failure.

A sport jacket is absolutely fine. The dress code is a recommendation...not an out and out rule. I do see anything from tuxes, suits, sport jackets or a dress shirt with a tie. I have actually seen polo shirts on men on formal night -- without a tie but this is a rarity. I have seen women with black jeans with a tank top and a sparkly belt (that's the formal part I guess). My DH no longer takes his tux as we try to limit the amount of luggage we take on any cruise. If we are not allowed into the formal dining room, we would just eat elsewhere but have never been turned away...NOT ever.

Sorry to correct you, but the dress code is NOT a recommendation. Nowhere in the Answer book does it state this or even state it is a suggested dress. Also, the daily Patters are quite explicit on the front page as to the evenings dress. Granted, some Maitre de's on some ships will allow less than the dress code and I personally think they should be reprimanded by the Captain or the Santa Clarita offices for allowing deviations. Just my opinion and not meant to start an argument. Just the Facts!!

Archived