Dress Code Question

Ryancoke

Sorry to correct you, but the dress code is NOT a recommendation. Nowhere in the Answer book does it state this or even state it is a suggested dress. Also, the daily Patters are quite explicit on the front page as to the evenings dress. Granted, some Maitre de's on some ships will allow less than the dress code and I personally think they should be reprimanded by the Captain or the Santa Clarita offices for allowing deviations. Just my opinion and not meant to start an argument. Just the Facts!!

Ron, You are correct that the Cruise Answer Book does not state recommended or suggested formal dress however I suggest you read page 15 of the current Cruise Answer Book where it states the following:

FORMAL.

When formal nights are held please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all of our passengers.

Evening Gown, Cocktail Dress, or Elegant Pant Suit for Women.

Tuxedo, Dark Suit or Dinner Jacket & Slacks for men.

"Please" is the key word here.

Times are a changing

Ron, You are correct that the Cruise Answer Book does not state recommended or suggested formal dress however I suggest you read page 15 of the current Cruise Answer Book where it states the following:

FORMAL.

When formal nights are held please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all of our passengers.

Evening Gown, Cocktail Dress, or Elegant Pant Suit for Women.

Tuxedo, Dark Suit or Dinner Jacket & Slacks for men.

Also, if you read it it states to please observe the "dress code" not the "suggested dress code".

"Please" is the key word here.

Times are a changing

Larry, where I grew up when someone said "please" we did it and they would reply, "thank you". How about you?? Times are not changing, people are changing and for the worse!!! Tell me, what do you wear on formal evenings if you go to the MDR? Also, if you read it it states to please observe the "dress code" not the "suggested dress code".

He had planned on a jacket, tie and pant for formal night, but not a suit...

This will be just fine and what you will see a majority of the men wearing. Tuxes are not the norm any more although you will still see a small percentage wearing them

We were on the Sapphire Princess April 9 cruise. On the first Formal Night the Patter stated “Evening gowns, cocktail dresses or trouser suits for ladies. Tuxedo, slacks with dinner jackets or suits with a tie for gentlemen.” That was followed by the statement “Passengers who wish to have a casual dinner on formal nights can take advantage of our Casual Dining option in the Horizon Court.” There was no mention of the Specialty Restaurants.

No matter what was said in the Patter, the actual “formal’ dress for gentlemen was as Largin described. From what I could see there were less than 10% of men wearing tuxedos and not many more wearing suits. There were a large number of men in the Pacific Moon DR wearing just a shirt and tie and some men were also wearing a shirt with no tie.

One of the things I've found about Princess and other lines, the patter is usually a cookie cutter cut and paste system and they just paste the same old thing all the time without actually checking that it's still accurate. By asking, you can usually get the right answer. Sapphire, as you mentioned, was definitely smart casual on formal night.

Larry, where I grew up when someone said "please" we did it and they would reply, "thank you". How about you?? Times are not changing, people are changing and for the worse!!! Tell me, what do you wear on formal evenings if you go to the MDR? Also, if you read it it states to please observe the "dress code" not the "suggested dress code".

I wore a tux but On our four cruises last year on the Ruby & Golden I did not bring formal ware.

Cruise 1.. Wore long sleeved black cashmere sweater & slacks. First night we ate at the Crown Grill. The second formal night we ate in the MDR at the request of the Maitre D' even though he knew I did not have a jacket or tie.

Cruise 2.. Dined at Sabatini's and Crown Grill on formal nights. Wore short sleeved sweater, & slacks.

Cruise 3.. Wore black cashmere sweater & slacks and dined at the Crown Grill the first formal night. Head waiter said no problem wearing same in MDR on second formal night which we did.

Cruise 4.. Was our family cruise. We ate the first formal night at the Crown Grill and the second formal night in the MDR. All 5 adult men wore long sleeved shirts, slacks & Ties on both formal nights.. No problem getting seating in the MDR.

We are leaving next week for a 15 day Panama on the Coral with 3 other couples.. There will be no jackets and I guarantee that at least one of the 3 formal nights we will be eating in the MDR.

One of the things I've found about Princess and other lines, the patter is usually a cookie cutter cut and paste system and they just paste the same old thing all the time without actually checking that it's still accurate. By asking, you can usually get the right answer. Sapphire, as you mentioned, was definitely smart casual on formal night.

Agree and it also says formal dress throughout the evening which I guess means no changing clothes until bed time.. :D:eek:

Exactly, I plan on MUTS a few nights in my ball gown, want to join us? ;)

That's right you will be joining us next week.. :D I really do not enjoy MUTS but if you do not mind me dressed upscale casual, I could share some popcorn and a drink with you.. :)

That's right you will be joining us next week.. :D I really do not enjoy MUTS but if you do not mind me dressed upscale casual, I could share some popcorn and a drink with you.. :)

Deal :)

Just don't mention to my DH about the no tux, I've actually got him packing it this cruise and it hasn't seen the light of day in a few cruises.

So, we don't have to necessary wear a suite or jacket.Long sleeve shirt,slack and tie is what I am going to wear.

I wore a tux but On our four cruises last year on the Ruby & Golden I did not bring formal ware.

Cruise 1.. Wore long sleeved black cashmere sweater & slacks. First night we ate at the Crown Grill. The second formal night we ate in the MDR at the request of the Maitre D' even though he knew I did not have a jacket or tie.

Cruise 2.. Dined at Sabatini's and Crown Grill on formal nights. Wore short sleeved sweater, & slacks.

Cruise 3.. Wore black cashmere sweater & slacks and dined at the Crown Grill the first formal night. Head waiter said no problem wearing same in MDR on second formal night which we did.

Cruise 4.. Was our family cruise. We ate the first formal night at the Crown Grill and the second formal night in the MDR. All 5 adult men wore long sleeved shirts, slacks & Ties on both formal nights.. No problem getting seating in the MDR.

We are leaving next week for a 15 day Panama on the Coral with 3 other couples.. There will be no jackets and I guarantee that at least one of the 3 formal nights we will be eating in the MDR.

I've never cruised on Princess (will next month) and I am suprised abot how many people are taking count of tuxes and hearing people kicked out of dining rooms, and checking out how people are dressed.....it just seems so judgemental. Shouldn't you all just be looking at your dates, husbands, wives, and friends???

This dress code is beaten to death all the time on this board and others.

The bottom line is the word REQUIRE is not in the Princess dress code anywhere, only that shorts, swim suites and the like are NOT ALLOWED in the MDR! For what it is worth even blue jeans have been removed from the not allowed list at some point.

Yes, the dress code does use the word PLEASE, but look it up in the dictionary... please...adv....polite request. Please is not a replacement for the word require.

One can just as easily say no thank you when asked to please do something which is what many men are doing when they wear something less formal than a tux or a dark suit on the formal nights.

Since the dress code does not require a tux or suite for men on formal nights, the code is not (can not be) strickly enforced. That is fine with us....if someone wants to wear a tux go for it, but there are other acceptable options that men have been wearing on the Princess ships for at least 5 years now.

My husband has never been turned away with a sports jacket, nor have we seen anyone else nicely but not formally dressed turned away....even on the Ocean Princess on the World Cruise. That is the longest cruise they do and one of their smallest ships.

If Princess really wanted or cared, for that matter that, everyone wear at least a jacket and tie on formal night the dress code would require at least that level of dress.

As far as we are concerned, it doesn't bother us what others wear as long as they are nicely dressed and that hasn't been a problem on any cruise we have ever been on including a 5 day Carnival last summer (there were even men in tuxs!). My husband will continue to travel with only dress shirts, slacks and a jacket for formal nights.

We have seen men in shorts or wearing tank tops or a sweat suit told to go change, but never dressed in "church" clothes...nice slacks and dress shirt with or with out a jacket.

This dress code is beaten to death all the time on this board and others.

The bottom line is the word REQUIRE is not in the Princess dress code anywhere, only that shorts, swim suites and the like are NOT ALLOWED in the MDR! For what it is worth even blue jeans have been removed from the not allowed list at some point.

Yes, the dress code does use the word PLEASE, but look it up in the dictionary... please...adv....polite request. Please is not a replacement for the word require.

One can just as easily say no thank you when asked to please do something which is what many men are doing when they wear something less formal than a tux or a dark suit on the formal nights.

Since the dress code does not require a tux or suite for men on formal nights, the code is not (can not be) strickly enforced. That is fine with us....if someone wants to wear a tux go for it, but there are other acceptable options that men have been wearing on the Princess ships for at least 5 years now.

My husband has never been turned away with a sports jacket, nor have we seen anyone else nicely but not formally dressed turned away....even on the Ocean Princess on the World Cruise. That is the longest cruise they do and one of their smallest ships.

If Princess really wanted or cared, for that matter that, everyone wear at least a jacket and tie on formal night the dress code would require at least that level of dress.

As far as we are concerned, it doesn't bother us what others wear as long as they are nicely dressed and that hasn't been a problem on any cruise we have ever been on including a 5 day Carnival last summer (there were even men in tuxs!). My husband will continue to travel with only dress shirts, slacks and a jacket for formal nights.

It also DOES NOT say suggested or recommended dress code either. Just though you might have missed that.

Am I alone in wanting to get dressed up on formal nights - and get my DH dressed up too? Although we travel from the UK with luggage allowances etc I still planned to pack the formal gear as we don't wear it a lot at home! Now I'm wondering if I should bother!!! Such a shame I think! :(

Am I alone in wanting to get dressed up on formal nights - and get my DH dressed up too? Although we travel from the UK with luggage allowances etc I still planned to pack the formal gear as we don't wear it a lot at home! Now I'm wondering if I should bother!!! Such a shame I think! :(

\No, you are probably in the 99% majority.

So the word "require" is now neccessary when the dress code is addressed by Princess?:confused:

If a sport jacket was acceptable, if a shirt and dress pants were acceptable, why wouldn't Princess include them in their dress code for formal night?

Oh wait, they do include a shirt and pants..... on smart casual nights.:D

As for the argument that people want what they paid for.....You paid for a cruise that has Formal nights. They are gracious enough to offer alternatives for those who don't want to participate. If you feel you will lose out if you eat somewhere other than the dining room, then you should have chosen a less formal cruise line.

I am here to tell you that those who enter the dining room on formal night, dress as Princess wishes. I have first hand knowledge that maybe one in ten men dress "their own way". No matter how many excuses these men make for casual dress on formal nights, they are in a small minority and lacking respect and manners.

If Princess lets the non formal dressers into the dining room, it's because there aren't enough of them to get upset about. It is easier to ignore their rudeness than send them away.

After so many posts about formal night, CC should make a sticky with the dress code facts for Princess. No poster should be allowed to post anything changing Princess's dress code. That's for Princess to do.

A guy with shorts was turned away on the Grand 10/2010

He was furious and said his wife never told him. The Maitre D said,"Go change"

The only person we have ever seen turned away from the dining room was a man in shorts. However, on another night, we saw a woman in hot pants (extremely short shorts) admitted.

On another cruise, we were amused by man at a nearby table who apparently thought the suggested dress code for every night included a long-sleeved t-shirt accessorized with suspenders (no jacket). He had an amazing collection of suspenders!

John and I think part of the fun of cruising is dressing up once in awhile. I think he looks quite dashing in a tux and I don't clean up too badly myself. If you don't want to adhere to the suggested dress code, it's not going to affect our enjoyment of the cruise.

OK, I know you can get away with just about anything in the dining room on formal nights. I do not like to get dressed up. My solution, I do not go the dining room on formal nights, period. I appreciate that many love the experience and I do not want to interfere with that. Simple.

OK, I know you can get away with just about anything in the dining room on formal nights. I do not like to get dressed up. My solution, I do not go the dining room on formal nights, period. I appreciate that many love the experience and I do not want to interfere with that. Simple.

GOOD FOR YOU! My compliments on your consideration for others. You seem to me to be the definition of elegant!

I've not gone on Princess yet but this fall am considering it. I see that formal attire for men includes 'dinner jacket and slacks'. What is this? I want to follow the code and wouldn't push it into the what can I get a way with category.

To answer the OP's question a dinner jacket is a white or ivory jacket worn with usually the tux type pants.

From what we have seen over our 25+ years cruising with Princess, formal use to mean tux or dinner jacket for most men though a few did wear a dark suit. My DH always wore a tux and I wore a cocktail dress. On our recent cruises that is no longer the case. Less than half of the men had on a tux or a suit. We have a 50+ day cruise around Africa next spring and DH will only be taking a coiuple of sports coat. That was all he needed on our last few Princess cruises.

From a few of the recent posts some don't like the current reality on Princess. However, on our recent Princess cruises, there was a wide mix of "formal" wear allowed for men..most men wore at least a sports jacket as did my husband, but by no means did the majority wear a tux or dinner jacket. Only you can deside what is right for you. My DH will continue to wear a sports coat and eat in the MDR. You don't have to worry about sitting with us as we always get a table for two or sit with friends who. like us, don't worry about how people are dressed, we are having to much fun!

Those of us who post on CC can only tell you what we have experienced on our individual cruises. Remember that there are 14 large ships plus the two small ships carrying over 28,000+ passengers on any given day. The CC posters are only a tiny percentage of the people who cruise Princess.

I am well aware of what Princess says about dress. In the current on line RECOMMENDATIONS on what to bring there are only two types of dress lisited, instead of the 4 or so from the 80's and 90's. There are definitely some things that are not allowed in the MDR, but I will say again that there is nothing listed anywhere as required.

From the website:

Clothing Recommendations

You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort. Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants and jogging suits, is the order of the day both at sea and ashore in hotter climates.

We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

• Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women
  • Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Cheers!!! Rah, Rah. You are absolutely correct. There are, however, a few who post here that want to push their personal agenda and try to convince everyone to dress down. I could care less what they wear, I don't have to sit with them. I WILL follow the "not suggested or recommended" posted Princess dress code.

So the word "require" is now neccessary when the dress code is addressed by Princess?:confused:

If a sport jacket was acceptable, if a shirt and dress pants were acceptable, why wouldn't Princess include them in their dress code for formal night?

Oh wait, they do include a shirt and pants..... on smart casual nights.:D

As for the argument that people want what they paid for.....You paid for a cruise that has Formal nights. They are gracious enough to offer alternatives for those who don't want to participate. If you feel you will lose out if you eat somewhere other than the dining room, then you should have chosen a less formal cruise line.

I am here to tell you that those who enter the dining room on formal night, dress as Princess wishes. I have first hand knowledge that maybe one in ten men dress "their own way". No matter how many excuses these men make for casual dress on formal nights, they are in a small minority and lacking respect and manners.

If Princess lets the non formal dressers into the dining room, it's because there aren't enough of them to get upset about. It is easier to ignore their rudeness than send them away.

After so many posts about formal night, CC should make a sticky with the dress code facts for Princess. No poster should be allowed to post anything changing Princess's dress code. That's for Princess to do.

It not so much as pushing a personal agenda about dressing down but more so to answer the questions of someone who is actually puzzeled about what one can dress down to & still not have to drag along all the formal clothing. Sure, there are loads of people still dressing to the recomended code, and they have every right, but at least Princess doesn't "require" everyone to do so & this board at least gives them the opertunity to decide for themselves what is approiate.

Archived