Rebel t2i Question

I have a question about file size. On my recent cruise on the Golden I took my new Rebel t2i along. I set the picture quality at the highest just short of raw. When I got home and started touching up my pictures with elements, I noted the file sizes seemed a little small (2-3 megs). IIs this normal or did I do something wrong? I thought with the highest "non raw" setting the file sizes would be somewhat bigger.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

I have a question about file size. On my recent cruise on the Golden I took my new Rebel t2i along. I set the picture quality at the highest just short of raw. When I got home and started touching up my pictures with elements, I noted the file sizes seemed a little small (2-3 megs). IIs this normal or did I do something wrong? I thought with the highest "non raw" setting the file sizes would be somewhat bigger.

Thanks in advance for any replies.....:):):)

Bob

Check the file dimensions. For 18mp they should be 5184 x 3456 pixels. If the size is right, then it would seem that the highest jpeg setting is still doing some fairly aggressive compression.

Be sure that your jpeg save settings in Elements is also set to high (10 or above).

Keep in mind that jpeg compression and the resulting file size is dependent on the amount of complexity in the image itself. Are all of your files at 2mb-3mb when you look in the directory?

Dave

I think it's actually quite common.

High quality fine JPEGs are about 2-3 megabytes in size. On the other hand, if you shoot RAW, the file sizes are about 15-25 megabytes in size.

As you can see, if you shoot JPEG, the camera throws away a TON of information, plus it compresses the image so that you get a smaller file size.

But even if you shoot in the highest quality JPEG, it still doesn't come close to the file sizes of RAW files.

For what it’s worth, I just did a quick test with a Canon 30D which is close to the t2i. The jpeg files ranged from 3.0 mb to 3.6 mb (for darn near the same subject.) The dimensions were 2336 X 3504. By comparison, the RAW file was 8.75 mb, and then 4.7 mb when converted to a jpeg. Both the RAW and conversion were 2336 X 3504.

IMHO, your files are fine. As Dave said, the size has a lot to do with the scene being captured. And there is a lot of compression going on.

Larry

The highest quality .jpg files from my 50D (15mp) average around 4 meg but that number varies considerably with the photograph. A photo of the clear sky (nothing but blue) is only about 2.5 meg while a busy picture taken at high ISO is around 5.5 meg.

A lot of variables

Fixed: Sensor size and compression coming from your camera.

Variable: Details, noise and other factors IN the picture.

Take a picture at high ISO of high contrast and you can get a huge JPG file. Take a low ISO picture of a blue sky and same camera can produce very small files with efficient compression in the camera.

Post processing: NEVER save back to your original but to a new file. Depending on the size and compression option can reduce the file size another way. Sometimes even using the same size if you are taking a blue sky and using too agressive compression can lead to huge size reduction. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of. Unless you are thinking of printing large or measurbating and peeping not a factor for most people or viewing.

Archived