AMA Amacello review

NanciEA

My husband and I are in our 50's and just returned from a Tulip Time cruise through Holland and Belgium with AMA. The average age seemed to be in the 70's, but we meet lots of nice, interesting people. Instead of giving a day by day review, I'll list our pros and cons. First the things we liked. Access to the towns by walking and biking was a real plus, as were the tour guides. We loved the guided bike tours and suggested they include more. Our cruise director was wonderful and everywhere. As for the ship, it was immaculate and the crew was great. We enjoyed the included wine with dinner. In the cabin, we liked the decent shower and the free, quick Internet.

The most important item we cared less for was the food. It wasn't bad, just (in our opinion) average. Breakfast was good, lunch was the best meal, but dinner was generally disappointing. We also did not like the small cabin, particularly the narrow beds, thin mattresses, and lack of storage space. Noise from the hall and cabins next to us was sometimes an issue. As stated, the guides for the walking tours were great, however, the system of labeling walks gentle, moderate, and active did not work, at least for the "active" tour. However, I don't see what the cruise line can do about this as they can't tell people "you're in your 80's and need assistance walking, so perhaps you should not be on the "active" walking tour! One time we were the slowest group.

Finally, there was an issue on the day of departure. We, and two other couples had booked a taxi to the airport through the reception desk for a specific time. The time came and went and no taxi. It was over thirty minutes late and we almost missed the two hour prior deadline to check in. The port was not a place were you could just flag one down. We thought perhaps the reception desk was unconcerned because we did not book their overpriced transfer.

Would we do a river cruise again? Yes. With AMA? We would probably checkout another line first, mostly based on the cabin size and the dinners.

I'll be on the Amacello in few weeks. What category cabin were you in? This is the first that I've heard about bad beds and small cabins. The literature says that the cabins are 170 sq. ft. which is large for a riverboat...and very similar to a regular ocean cruise cabin. Did the literature misprepresent...or do you prefer suites?

We were in Category A on the Violin Deck. No, the literature did not misrepresent the size of the cabin. It was 170 sq. ft. It's just that this was our first river cruise and we did not realize how small 170 was! We had separated beds (twin) and they were very narrow. The mattresses seemed very thin to us (5 to 6 inches?), but I didn't measure. One bed had no storage underneath (something built in?), so both suitcases had to be put under the other. Our carryon's had to sit out. There is one small closet and all our shoes had to be stacked in the bottom of it.

We have done several ocean cruises, but like I said, this was our first river cruise. While there were many things we enjoyed about it, the small cabin was not one of them. When we were both in it together our moments had to be coordinated!

the system of labeling walks gentle, moderate, and active did not work, at least for the "active" tour. However, I don't see what the cruise line can do about this as they can't tell people "you're in your 80's and need assistance walking, so perhaps you should not be on the "active" walking tour!

It does sound so sensible in theory but, as you point out, the system only works if people are self-reflective and considerate enough to properly categorize themselves. I suppose after the first day a really good CD could gently try to redirect people ("Mrs. Smith, I think you'd enjoy this group so much more ...") but if they don't go along, what can they do?

AMA's standard cabins are among the largest on the river. Be glad you did not choose Viking ships with cabins at 132 sq ft or less.

+1

I have been on both Uniworld and Amawaterways and Amawaterways was much better

I just got off the AmaLyra and it was fantastic. 170 is much larger and I thought the bed was soooo comfortable. The food was amazing. I cant wait to go again.

+1

I have been on both Uniworld and Amawaterways and Amawaterways was much better

I just got off the AmaLyra and it was fantastic. 170 is much larger and I thought the bed was soooo comfortable. The food was amazing. I cant wait to go again.

Glad to hear it. We are in the planning stages of our first river cruise, looking at Burgundy/Provence on AmaWaterways, Avalon or Uniworld. We are used to Oceania's penthouse suites, and O's wonderful food. It's a little scary to deviate from what we know will be a perfect cruise, to a totally different experience. Chosing a new "product" that will be right for us is a little scary because it can make or break a vacation.

There are many great TAs who tell it to you truthfully. There are also some TAs that bend the truth to point you in the direction that is most profitable for them. I have met both kinds of agents. Last year I passed on a riverboat cruise when a TA talked me out of going because she claimed that there would be too much walking. Instead she tried to book us on the Equinox.....a much larger ship with much more walking. We saw through her and didn't use her...and won't ever again trust her. We later found out that Celebrity had an incentive for TAs. This year I contacted other agents. One agent tried very hard to get me to book on Avalon instead of AMAwateraways...much too hard...and again there was a TA incentive. Since I had already done my research and decided that I wanted to take the AMAwaterways cruise, I booked with somebody else. I put out my request on a large Cruise booking site and was contacted by several agents with bids. I booked with Tim from an agency that I hadn't known previously. Next time, I'll research ahead and post on line for bids. If you want a cruise and an agent talks you out of it, examine it closely.....maybe they will make more profit if you book a different cruise.

Redtravel, Thank you for your response! Fortunately I have worked with my TA for many years and trust her, knowing because of my extra payments she is not worried about incentives. This is why I want Cruisrs independent experience as to the difference between AMA and Uniworld. I have done more research and the two sound or read almost identical.

We have done Viking (10 years ago so of limited experience value) and now Uniworld in April. We have also done some river cruising on boats that are not in the major river boat companies. Our experience was good with both Uniworld and Viking and the others. river cruising has improved the product greatly in 10 years and the cabins and food and general luxeries of the boat have really improved.

The cruise can really be made or broken by the people you travel with (and youse pay your money and take your chanches -- some folks are just better if they are in short doses) and the tour manager. Bart on the River Duchess was very much a great tour director and things went smoothly. He was also a Dutchman and could add so many cultural touches. He always teased by saying "This town you can buy (blank) from my Grandmother (or Uncle or Aunt or Cousin twice removed). He trained us pretty fast to be on time and to pick an appropriate group. It did make for a good trip when folks cooperated. Voxboxes for all the guides is a true blessing and I hope that ocean cruises pick up on this soon. The passengers on this trip did seem to like things organized and some bossy teacher types got the lunch buffets all going in one direction with exit on left and entrance on the right. :o Bart teased us and said that His Mother would approve!

I don't think that you can neccessariarly compare Oceania or other ocean cruise to the river cruise experience. They are different and your mind set is different for the two. I love both and go from one to the other but what I love about ocean cruising and what I love about river cruising are very different. Usually I think that river cruises need about 2 additional staff to do the work (dinner service is slower on river) and about a foot in every direction would help the room space. For putting up with those things you get closer to the town and make closer friends with the people you are traveling with IMHO. I like both varieties and hope to do alot more exploring both on rivers and the big oceans.

• 2 weeks later...

AMAwaterways isn't that good. I'm on it now, but will never sail with them again. Too disorganized. The excursions are poor quality and not interesting. The food is just okay. I miss pancakes, french toast, and good coffee. I drink decaf...and I hate instant which is in the lounge. Pancakes were featured one morning....and not available any other day. I am not thrilled. Actually I am really disappointed.

It appears that mistyone is very hard to please. I have been on 4 AMAwaterways cruises and am getting ready to book my 5th. Disorganized is not a word I would use to describe them. They are the tightest run ship I have ever been on. Extremely professional. You are right that there are not pancakes EVERY morning, but they are more than happy to make some for you. The tours that are offered are wonderful. The majority of the guides are extremely knowledgable and speak fluent English. In fact 2 recent ones were ex-pats. Please don't judge AMA from 1 very disgruntled passenger.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did back to back on Amacello. The 2 cruises were very different...different tour guide, different chef, and different captain. Only the wait staff and house keeping were constant. The first week was excellent and the second week was poor. It was hard to believe it was the same ship. Many people on the second cruise who had previously sailed on AMA also commented on how different this cruise was to their previous experiences. Mistyone's comments were right.

Archived